Next year….

khlax3

Unfortunately unless the dolphins implode of the next few weeks I don’t think the bills will make the playoffs this year. Right now we have 4 afc losses and lose most of the tiebreakers if not all of them.

There will be plenty of time this off-season to talk about all these items in more details but here are some of my thought:

1. I think core group of players has run its course. It’s time to retool for the next run.

2. we will likely be picking the higher in the draft than we have in several years and we have a lot of picks this year. We must hit on the early picks to set up our next run.

3. Our schedule looks like it will be much easier next year. Pats should still suck, we play the NFC west and AFC south. We will likely finish 2nd or 3rd in the division which means we will avoid KC, Philly, Baltimore and will

likely get the Steelers, cowboys, and chargers instead.

4. Although not all the offensive struggles are on Dorsey I think they need to move on and find an experienced OC (If frank Reich gets canned in Carolina I would take a look). With McDermott focused on the D having someone on offense with HC experience would be nice.

5. It’s time to move on from Davis and either invest a high draft pick or sign a guy in FA who has been consistent. It looks like we will have a solid core with diggs, shakir, Knox and Kincaid but we need another weapon.

6. We need another back to compliment cook. We don’t need to invest a ton of cap space or draft capital but we need to bring someone else who can be an 1b type back.

7. The oline has mostly been fine. I think they look worse than they are sometimes because Allen holds the ball so long. I would bring David edwards back for depth, bring in a tackle for depth and hopefully keep continuity. The one change I could see would be to drop Morse for bates to open cap space. 
8. The d is hard to judge because of all the injuries but I think they are going to have some tough decisions on a few players. What do you do with white? Poyer? Hyde? Von will be here due to his contract. Do you resign epenesa and jones? The bbills need to get younger and cheaper on d in a hurry.

Edited by khlax3
Typo

2 minutes ago, khlax3 said:

Unfortunately unless the dolphins implode of the next few weeks I don’t think the bulls will make the playoffs this year. Right now we have 4 afc losses and lose most of the tiebreakers if not all of them.

There will be plenty of time this off-season to talk about all these items in more details but here are some of my thought:

3. Our schedule looks like it will be much easier next year. Pats should still suck, we play the NFC west and AFC south. We will likely finish 2nd or 3rd in the division which means we will avoid KC, Philly, Baltimore and will

You sound like a Steelers fan. Unless things are all rosy, they bail on their team every season & look for silver linings down the road- problem is the schedule always has these perceived notions & many of them turn out wrong. 

There's 8 games left, my goodness. Yeah, losses suck, but let's see how they adjust.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, khlax3 said:

Unfortunately unless the dolphins implode of the next few weeks I don’t think the bills will make the playoffs this year. Right now we have 4 afc losses and lose most of the tiebreakers if not all of them.

1. I think core group of players has run its course. It’s time to retool for the next run.

2. we will likely be picking the higher in the draft than we have in several years and we have a lot of picks this year. We must hit on the early picks to set up our next run.

4. Although not all the offensive struggles are on Dorsey I think they need to move on and find an experienced OC (If frank Reich gets canned in Carolina I would take a look). With McDermott focused on the D having someone on offense with HC experience would be nice.

5. It’s time to move on from Davis and either invest a high draft pick or sign a guy in FA who has been consistent. It looks like we will have a solid core with diggs, shakir, Knox and Kincaid but we need another weapon.

6. We need another back to compliment cook. We don’t need to invest a ton of cap space or draft capital but we need to bring someone else who can be an 1b type back.

7. The oline has mostly been fine. I think they look worse than they are sometimes because Allen holds the ball so long. I would bring David edwards back for depth, bring in a tackle for depth and hopefully keep continuity. The one change I could see would be to drop Morse for bates to open cap space. 
8. The d is hard to judge because of all the injuries but I think they are going to have some tough decisions on a few players. What do you do with white? Poyer? Hyde? Von will be here due to his contract. Do you resign epenesa and jones? The bbills need to get younger and cheaper on d in a hurry.

Cut, cut, cut and cut 

4 minutes ago, khlax3 said:

there is so much old money on the books with the d line and safeties too. I agree it’s time go rebuild the roster. All options need to be on the table. The top of the cap just isn’t delivering. 

I personally thought the retool should of started at the trade deadline when we had a chance to offload players who will not be here next year.

But people still think we can fix this... so we will have to gut it some for next season and retool from there.

Dorsey and McDermott should be shown the door but I have to figure only Dorsey will be replaced and McD will get another shot with a new OC.

• Like (+1) 1

This season isn’t about what the Dolphins do, or anyone else for that matter. The Bills are just not very good right now. The defense ( while beat up) isn’t reliable at all. The offense is stuck in 1st gear for about 3 quarters per game. The Bills aren’t going anywhere right now, even if other teams lose games or fade down the stretch. 

Barring me being any sort of draft guru and not in any particular order, I would grab a WR, RT, and OC with our 1,2,4. 

Move on from Morse. We need the space. I’ve seen enough of Spencer Brown. I would be actively looking at possible prospects to take over for Dawkins in a year or two. 

Davis comes off the books next year anyways. No need to “move on”. We don’t have any money. 

If possible I would like to extend both Dane and Douglas. Douglas is almost a shoe in as it likely reduces his cap hit anyways. But I think this team likely moves on from Tre. I absolutely hate it. But it is what it is. 

We can’t fix everything at once. I think the Bills need to decide if they want a full reset at safety or not. I think either way you likely try and keep Rapp and either get one more year from Poyer at SS or give Hyde a few years, cut Poyer, and plan to run with Rapp/Hyde going forward. 

A new Daquan Jones contract would be nice.

I haven’t been thrilled with Taron Johnson this year. Which is weird because he’s normally so great. An extension will give us some much needed space. Hes also not anywhere near a real problem with this team. 

We will need to draft some pass rushers since Groot and Von are the only two under contract next year. But we’ve over invested there the last 3-4 years. Time to load up around Allen and see what happens. 

13 minutes ago, khlax3 said:

Bolded really only applies to wild card.

For division, I do believe the first few tiebreakers in order are:

-Head to head record (hold that over Miami at the moment)

-Division record (currently mia 2-1 and bills 1-2) not too far off

-Point differential (Buffalo leads the league rn I believe)

So if Miami doesn't lose to pats or jets (and bills keep close to pace), the Miami game in Miami is really the most important remaining game and most likely carries the biggest playoffs/no playoffs swing.

I'm not particularly optimistic or anything just thought I'd throw that out there. This year isn't cooked yet, even though it definitely feels like it .

The Bills still have a decent shot at the playoffs.  But I agree that it's probably time to think about next year.  This team isn't going to do anything in the postseason even if they make it there.

Dorsey cannot return next year.  If I were Pegula, I would insist on an experienced OC.  We wasted two years of Prime Allen -- no more.  

We'll need to do some serious retooling, but frankly it isn't going to be that difficult to do given that we have a franchise QB (that's more important than every other position combined) and weapons in the passing game especially our rookie TE.  Our DL will be fine with or without Von and our LBs are in good shape.  The secondary will need a lot of work.

36 minutes ago, DrBob806 said:

You sound like a Steelers fan. Unless things are all rosy, they bail on their team every season & look for silver linings down the road- problem is the schedule always has these perceived notions & many of them turn out wrong. 

There's 8 games left, my goodness. Yeah, losses suck, but let's see how they adjust.

1 minute ago, haroldwaide said:

Right now, we are a game out of first place in our division.  I'll say it as simply as I can...beat the Dolphins week 18 and we HOST a playoff game.  I'm not giving up on this year yet, and neither should you.

I am a super optimistic fan and I’m not giving up but just looking at reality. The dolphins have a much much easier schedule than the bills going forward and already area game up. The D is decimated by injuries and we would need to win 6 of of 8 to lock in wildcard. We are currently sitting at 9th in the afc. I think overall the window on this group of players had closed and we just need to retool for another run with Josh in his prime

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Augie said:

This place is going to be unbearable.

It's going to be interesting to be sure.

But seriously, discussing making the playoffs when it's questionable whether we'll even post a winning record is premature.  

So, when do the "new and improved" season tickets with PSLs go on sale?  

That will be interesting too. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.