Tackling is a rough sport for the Bills.

Chaos

It seems like tackling is a lost art in the NFL overall.  But Bill's fans perspective's may be skewed because we may be particularly bad at tackling.  I am perfectly willing to blame injuries as the primary reason for the bad tackling, but it does not really change the fact that the tackling is bad. 

image.thumb.png.ce8235dd25a4bb268b28d68adfa2376b.png

Top tackling teams. Feel free to hate PFF.  I just don't anywhere else to source tackling data of any type. 

image.thumb.png.63fd493ce63f7181debb0674b8f72c79.png

• Haha (+1) 1

Interesting Note, the Bills have played the top 3 tackling teams, and 4 of the top 8.  This may further skew my view of the Bills tackling.

1 minute ago, colin said:

screaming down the pitch

What is this "pitch" you speak of.  Is that like a football field that they play soccer on?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Interesting Note, the Bills have played the top 3 tackling teams, and 4 of the top 8.  This may further skew my view of the Bills tackling.

What is this "pitch" you speak of.  Is that like a football field that they play soccer on?

it's a good word to use in the place of field, and you know this.

don't let the nature of your name corrupt you.  you never go full chaos.

35 minutes ago, Chaos said:

It seems like tackling is a lost art in the NFL overall.  But Bill's fans perspective's may be skewed because we may be particularly bad at tackling.  I am perfectly willing to blame injuries as the primary reason for the bad tackling, but it does not really change the fact that the tackling is bad. 

image.thumb.png.ce8235dd25a4bb268b28d68adfa2376b.png

Top tackling teams. Feel free to hate PFF.  I just don't anywhere else to source tackling data of any type. 

image.thumb.png.63fd493ce63f7181debb0674b8f72c79.png

Is there anything on there that has yards allowed after a missed tackle? I'd be more interested in that then general tackle rate.

Bills have never been great tacklers and seem to focus on getting more people around the ball versus making 1 on 1 tackles.  I'd bet most of their missed tackles come on run plays where they sometimes have 3 or 4 guys not bring a guy down and then the final guy brings him down. Seems to happen on runs where they stretch out the RB a lot behind the LOS.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, mrags said:

Coming from a defensive coach it’s not a good thing. True. But very sad 

I think I remember reading something about how Bills in particular were limiting how much they hit in pads during preseason/practices

But I think it's probably a league wide issue wrt cba rules...that said bills still have been pretty poor last few yrs 

Good tackling is exhausting and painful. A lot of guys use the missile style or shoulder tackle instead of the traditional wrap up. Drives me nuts when guys don’t finish a play, and instead try to shoulder a guy or unnecessarily lunge. This is especially true on bang-bang receptions, and when closing in quickly 1v1. Always finish the play: you never know when a hand or face mask will jar a ball loose 

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Not a good issue to have given the forthcoming schedule.  

Other than Miami, the highest ranked rushing team we've played is the Giants, who rank 15th in Rushing YPG.  

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

bills have not been a good tackling team under McDermott

It's part of fundamentals, which we don't seem to be particularly good at. 

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.