Week 9 thread - We’re on to Cincinnati

BillsFan619

2 minutes ago, Caesar said:

You dont keep up with the other teams very much do you? 

2021 Burrow was coming off a major ACL/MCL injury, he wasnt mobile the first few weeks of the season.  
2022 Burrow had major surgery and lost over 20 ponds immediately before the season started.
2023 Burrow missed all of training camp, couldnt plant - much less run, with a bad calf.  Last week was his 1st 100% healthy game.
Taylor is not a great coach but none of this is on coaching.  Kind of an embarrassing take.

Strange that you come over here when your board doesn't allow opposing fans.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, FrenchConnection said:

Strange that you come over here when your board doesn't allow opposing fans.

We have opposing fans on our board... if they are banning you I will definitely say something.  I enjoy the other fanbases posting, they know way more than we do about their team.  I usually dont post much here but I read often as there are some very informed posters here. 

On 10/30/2023 at 9:56 AM, Billsfan1972 said:

Always excuses.....  SF has a mediocre QB who yes needs all his weapons to look great.  The excuses for the defense never cease, especially since McD is coaching them.  Simply they need to play better and be coached better too.

I will agree that the offense and coaching on that side needs to be aggressive and score a lot of points.  

Look at what Philly is doing.  The Bills offense woke up some on Thursday, but still things seem difficult.

But yup can't wait 'til Cincy put up 31 (not that I want them to) and come Monday we're told they were gutsy and undermanned and can't expect any more from them. 

BTW Purdy threw for 365 vs. Cincy's D (ran for 57 too).  Dorsey should be able to exploit their D and Allen has some #'s to shoot for😜

Bengals defense has given up yards most of the year, we usually do.  Anarumo always says points matter way more than yards.

Purdy's stats are a little skewed.  He had 156 yards on 3 drives:
Last 30 seconds of 1st half vs prevent: no points.
Last 2 drives of the game vs prevent: no points.

18 minutes ago, Caesar said:

2021 Burrow was coming off a major ACL/MCL injury, he wasnt mobile the first few weeks of the season.  
2022 Burrow had major surgery and lost over 20 ponds immediately before the season started.
2023 Burrow missed all of training camp, couldnt plant - much less run, with a bad calf.  Last week was his 1st 100% healthy game.
Taylor is not a great coach but none of this is on coaching.  Kind of an embarrassing take.

Ehh...not really.  Allen played with a partially torn UCL for half the season last year and a jacked up shoulder that needed a brace for a few games the year before and never looked that bad.  Until he proves otherwise, Burrow is a slow starter.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

Nine of ten pundits at the NFL website pick the Bengals over the Bills, eight of eight pick the Bengals at the CBS NFL website, and seven of ten pick the Bengals at the ESPN site.

That's 24 of 28 total picking the Bengals.  

We got 'em right where we want 'em!

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

Nine of ten pundits at the NFL website pick the Bengals over the Bills, eight of eight pick the Bengals at the CBS NFL website, and seven of ten pick the Bengals at the ESPN site.

That's 24 of 28 total picking the Bengals.  

McD is salivating at this and how it allows him to get in their psyches and tell them nobody believes in them anymore and how everyone says they can't win...being an underdog for the first time in 27 games doesn't hurt either.

• Agree 1

On 10/31/2023 at 1:33 PM, Success said:

The Bengals fans I've seen online seem remarkably unconcerned about Sunday's game.

I mean, we might go out & look like we did in both games last year - overmatched.  But the NFL can be pretty nutty. You can blow a team out one year, and then lose to them the next - it's actually happened.

I think many Bengals fans are simply relived that Burrow is finally healthy and we can run the full playbook again.  The offense was so limited, no under center, no rollouts, boots, etc.  Our coaches really sucked butt in being creative in any way knowing what they were dealing with as to Burrow's calf.
Add to this that the Bengals seem to match up very well with the Bills for whatever reason and that we usually play well at home in big games.
That said, very very many of us are well aware of Allen's capabilities and the strength of the Bills roster.  You guys are still Top 5 in so many categories.  If the Bengals do not come out hot early it will be extremely difficult for us.

15 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Ehh...not really.  Allen played with a partially torn UCL for half the season last year and a jacked up shoulder that needed a brace for a few games the year before and never looked that bad.  Until he proves otherwise, Burrow is a slow starter.

This is dumb.  Allen could still move and throw.  Also Allen is alien, so big and strong.  It really is stupid to say Burrow starts slow just because.... 
Our offensive line and defense both start slow - these are true.

Edited by Caesar
  • Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Bengals defense has given up yards most of the year, we usually do.  Anarumo always says points matter way more than yards.

Purdy's stats are a little skewed.  He had 156 yards on 3 drives:
Last 30 seconds of 1st half vs prevent: no points.
Last 2 drives of the game vs prevent: no points.

That's because SF doesn't want to expose him.  He did move the ball regardless and a few bad breaks or could have been more points.  

Are you going to say the same about Geno Smith (threw for 330 yards too)?  Twice in the last 5 minutes they were inside the 10 and could have won the game, but came up empty handed.

You can point out that Cincy's D tightened and I can say they were not playing Josh Allen.

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

That's because SF doesn't want to expose him.  He did move the ball regardless and a few bad breaks or could have been more points.  

Are you going to say the same about Geno Smith (threw for 330 yards too)?  Twice in the last 5 minutes they were inside the 10 and could have won the game, but came up empty handed.

You can point out that Cincy's D tightened and I can say they were not playing Josh Allen.

Josh Allen changes everything.  Im a big fan of his and will not underscore his potential to take a game over.

The couple of long drives that the 49ers had were both dependent on a long pass on what seemed to be most 3rd and longs.  Kittle hurt us as he has in the past as does every TE in the world. I can see Kincaid having a big game.   We do much better vs very good WRs than even average TEs.

VS Seattle we scored 2 TDs the first 2 drives then had 3 straight 3 and outs, we stalled every drive after those with at least 7 punts and one interception.  Our defense didnt get a chance to even sit down after the 1st Qtr because the offense was so terrible.  The offense was still limited and Seattle figured out the limitations.

Cincy's D has tightened for 2 and 1/2 seasons now, so I will give Lou that.  We went several games in a row last year without giving up a 2nd half TD last year. We will give up yards no doubt.

On 11/1/2023 at 10:26 PM, Franco_92 said:

Their trio's track record is good, but aside from last game, Higgins has been awful in the games I've watched this year. Hope he hasn't figured it out quite yet. 

Miami's WRs have had a better overall season so far. 

Higgins has had a bruised rib, he said he was much closer to 100% last game.  

On 11/1/2023 at 2:15 PM, FrenchConnection said:

Joe Burrow, at the core of his very being, wants to hold the ball and throw bombs to Chase. The Bengals coaching staff has had to really work on getting Joe to take the check-downs. Sound familiar?

I'm a longtime season ticker holder, I've only followed every single piece of media regarding Burrow since he was drafted.  I have NEVER seen or read a Bengals coach saying this.  Defenses did change to lots of cover 3 & cloud coverages and Burrow adjusted.  In fact I would say that Burrow enjoys 17 play 80 yard drives as much as one long bomb.  He knows he is a surgical assassin and seems to relish picking apart defenses and tight window throws.  His strength is rapid diagnosis and going to the right WR asap.  

• Vomit 1

7 minutes ago, Caesar said:

I'm a longtime season ticker holder, I've only followed every single piece of media regarding Burrow since he was drafted.  I have NEVER seen or read a Bengals coach saying this.  Defenses did change to lots of cover 3 & cloud coverages and Burrow adjusted.  In fact I would say that Burrow enjoys 17 play 80 yard drives as much as one long bomb.  He knows he is a surgical assassin and seems to relish picking apart defenses and tight window throws.  His strength is rapid diagnosis and going to the right WR asap.  

It will be a great game. I truly Billieve that we pound you guys. Your D is a swiss cheese joke. We will pound it down your throats through the air, on the ground and with precise toughness that you haven't seen yet this season.

Your O is good. I'll give you that but our D can be stingy and I fully expect them to be on point on Sunday night. Especially if our new CB Douglas plays. get ready because we are coming and you will  get wrecked!!!!

On 11/2/2023 at 10:34 AM, PaattMaann said:

I think McD saw how bend but dont break worked, or rather DIDN'T work the last time we played the Bengals and wont go that route...even if we don't have the horses to play the aggressive route perfectly. He has still been aggressive the past few weeks even after the injuries (the results have largely sucked but he hasn't given that up). 

Lou A did defend and confuse Allen and Dorsey last year, but its a new year with new pieces and hopefully answers from the Bills offense. And the Bengals D isn't the same either. A large piece of their coverage discipline and disguise was their safeties, both of whom now play elsewhere. The new guys can play, but their D has taken time to gel and they looked pretty good last week but they still aren't at the level of the playoffs last year. I don't think its a given that we struggle the same way. I think Kincaid has himself a DAY and will be that big game from another play besides Diggs you are seeking. I also see Cook continuing his string of solid performances. 

This is why they play the games! 

The Bengals defense returned 9 starters and 10 backups.  Pretty much the same.  

Benglas lost both safeties who were sound and great communicators.  Dax Hill will be better than both Bates and Bell, he has already shown flashes we havent seen in a long time.  Scott brings much more speed than Bates/Bell but he hasnt been nearly as good, he is the weak spot and thus rookie Battle has been getting time.  I will add that 2nd Rd rookie DJ Turner has been extremely impressive at CB.  Awuzie is still a step slow coming off the ACL kind of like what you saw from White last year.

8 minutes ago, Caesar said:

The Bengals defense returned 9 starters and 10 backups.  Pretty much the same.  

Benglas lost both safeties who were sound and great communicators.  Dax Hill will be better than both Bates and Bell, he has already shown flashes we havent seen in a long time.  Scott brings much more speed than Bates/Bell but he hasnt been nearly as good, he is the weak spot and thus rookie Battle has been getting time.  I will add that 2nd Rd rookie DJ Turner has been extremely impressive at CB.  Awuzie is still a step slow coming off the ACL kind of like what you saw from White last year.

WTF????!!?? Your CB's are ranked 22 and 28th in the leage PFF. Your D overall is ranked 16th last week and now 14th due to the fraud win vs Niners. Girl, you are going to get roasted on Sunday. The Bills will pound the bungles hard! Get ready cause here we come!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

It will be a great game. I truly Billieve that we pound you guys. Your D is a swiss cheese joke. We will pound it down your throats through the air, on the ground and with precise toughness that you haven't seen yet this season.

Your O is good. I'll give you that but our D can be stingy and I fully expect them to be on point on Sunday night. Especially if our new CB Douglas plays. get ready because we are coming and you will  get wrecked!!!!

Interesting.  Im happy for your confidence and the fact that you admit to being a box score watcher, which is kind of amateur.  
Purdy ripped the defense with 365 yards right?  Except 156 was in 3 drives vs prevent defense that ended in zero points. 209 yards vs base defense isnt that impressive.
Previous games our offense did their best to break the all time 3 and out record.  Made life very tough on the defense.

The Bengals have given up ONE more passing TD than the Bills and ONE more rushing TD than the Bills. Bengals also have 2 more interceptions.

The Bills were rated a much better defense than the Bengals all last year too, but you keep thinking that Anarumo's defense is a swiss cheese joke. 

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Caesar said:

Until we actually beat a Joe Burrow led Bengals team, I will shelve the posturing.

Burrow's perfomance the first few games and the last few games is night and day.

Their offense features a mostly short passing game looking at avg depth of targets. Not sure if that has changed much from last season.

An offense that stresses getting the ball out fast using receivers that have elite hands has been a matchup nightmare for Leslie Frazier zone schemes that employed a lot of cushion to allow the underneath throws.

We will see if McD has a different approach because last year that Frazier defense just bled yards and conversions 

Not as concerned with the Bengals defense statistically, but they have forced some turnovers and Allen has given it away a few times... So there is that.

They also find ways to limit points on the board and we have not been exactly lighting it up points-wise.

We will see which Bills team comes to play.

Just now, Dillenger4 said:

WTF????!!?? Your CB's are ranked 22 and 28th in the leage PFF. Your D overall is ranked 16th last week and now 14th due to the fraud win vs Niners. Girl, you are going to get roasted on Sunday. The Bills will pound the bungles hard! Get ready cause here we come!

Serious question.  Are you a teenager?  

I dont come here to trash talk and I dont come here to talk with children, period.  I simply read for the best Bills info and to provide some Bengals info.

Nothing I said warranted the "WTF????!!??" comment, and again you are proving yourself to be a box score watcher.  We will see how much pounding the Bills do on Sunday in Cincy.

If someone may have already posted any updated info regarding this, Haven't had chance to get time to look throughout thread yet so sorry to bring it up again....

But was curious has anything been mentioned yet of possibility any of the 3 new players could go Sunday night? Thanks

3 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Until we actually beat a Joe Burrow led Bengals team, I will shelve the posturing.

Burrow's perfomance the first few games and the last few games is night and day.

Their offense features a mostly short passing game looking at avg depth of targets. Not sure if that has changed much from last season.

An offense that stresses getting the ball out fast using receivers that have elite hands has been a matchup nightmare for Leslie Frazier zone schemes that employed a lot of cushion to allow the underneath throws.

We will see if McD has a different approach because last year that Frazier defense just bled yards and conversions 

Not as concerned with the Bengals defense statistically, but they have forced some turnovers and Allen has given it away a few times... So there is that.

They also find ways to limit points on the board and we have not been exactly lighting it up points-wise.

We will see which Bills team comes to play.

This is an extremely intelligent comment.  As to more negatives, the Bengals do give up too many yards at times and we still have difficulty overcoming a penalty or a sack, they almost always end up stalling a drive.

23 hours ago, Dillenger4 said:

From PFF - and there are MANY other outlets telling truth too:

The Cincinnati Bengals defense isn’t playing at the premier level we saw in the second half of last season. With that said, bend-but-don’t-break works when you can force interceptions and hold the 49ers to a 50% red-zone conversion rate. This is another step forward for Cincinnati, but regression seems imminent at the hands of Josh Allen and Stefon Diggs in Week 8.m The Bengals enter this matchup hobbling with injuries as the Bills call in two new studly defenders.

Bengals are hobbling?  We should have all 11 starters on offense and defense and Special Teams.   PFF?   Box score guy.... 

23 hours ago, Dillenger4 said:

Cincy is NOT a good football team. Not sure what games this season you have watched. They lost significant players on D during the offseason and it shows! Their D is bad and we will score at will.

It's Our D that is the issue and, now that we have reinforcements that hopefully play, we should be OK.

I can't effin wait for this game!!! Gonna be a beatdown boys!

Go KC - beat the fraud Phins and we are in 1st place again.

Another interesting take...... 

2 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

Think it comes down to are the Bengals closer to the team that whipped the 49ers last week or more to the team that muddled through their first 6 games  Seems recent results have media crowning yet another SBowl champ months before the season is over  

The media is searching for content.  No AFC team is fantastic right now with the Chiefs, Bills and Bengals all underachieving.  The Ravens are probably the most sound team and they lost to the Colts.  Ravens being good is probably good news to you guys as the Bills seem to contain them much better than the Bengals.
As to Cincy last week was what we have been waiting for, but still I have no crazy notions that we will be that effective and efficient on offense as that game.  I will say that the oline and defense are beginning to play with more cohesion & better communication.  Having Burrow and Higgins healthy can only help as well.
The media crowned Buffalo SB champs too early last year and even if Cincy wins Sunday I hope they do not do that with us, we need to stack many more strong games games together.  Buffalo can definitely beat us at home this game and we both have challenging schedules ahead.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Bengals are hobbling?  We should have all 11 starters on offense and defense and Special Teams.   PFF?   Box score guy.... 

What does Box score mean? Oh right, the actual final result. Cool story nancy.

Also - telling us how Purdy only "really" threw for 200ish yards cause the rest were in prevent is irrelivant and a copout. It's like saying well we "really" won because the last 2 TD's the other team scored were in the last few mins of the game. They play 60 mins dudette.... get with it. Box score note" Bills pound your fraud wimps hard!!!!!!

Go Bills.

Thanks bra!

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Literally every breakdown I’ve heard talks about how the Bengals Offense needs to start strong.  

If they do, they’ll likely win the game. 

Fantastic news given our defense loves giving up points on opening drives. 

Yeah, but I still feel like (curious about other thoughts here as well) I just have a bit more confidence in defense against Bengals now compared to Frazier. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Big Turk said:

At the end of the day the Bengals offense settles for field goals too much and usually leaves you wanting more...that is, the personnel they have suggests they should be far better than what they actually are.

Many of us Bengals fans have this very same sentiment, it is mind-numbing at times.

Care to refute it? I’m by no means on the Bengals-are-overrated train but our local talk radio pointed out this morning that Bengals’ D has given the highest amount of big plays per game this year and almost all have been pass plays.

Just now, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Care to refute it? I’m by no means on the Bengals-are-overrated train but our local talk radio pointed out this morning that Bengals’ D has given the highest amount of big plays per game this year and almost all have been pass plays.

Refute the fact that the Bengals are NOT hobbling injury wise?  Sure, we have no starters in danger of missing the game due to injuries.

As to the defense I have continually stated that we give up way too many yards.  It is kind of tricky stat wise though.

We were awful vs the Browns vs the run - but a closer look reveals that we held them to under 2 yds per carry 9 out of 10 times and then give up a 20 yarder a couple times. The offense did NOTHING and the game got away in the rain, vs a great oline and RB, and the 4th Qtr they just stomped us.
49ers had 365 yards passing, but 156 came on 3 drives vs prevent defense that ended in zero points.

We will always give up yards, we always have.  With Burrow and Higgins healthy hopefully the offense can stay on the field a little longer which will help. 

Allen is always a dual threat and if he goes off I will not be surprised just because of who he is.

5 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Many of us Bengals fans have this very same sentiment, it is mind-numbing at times.

Where do you think the issue lies?  Playing too conservative?  Play calling by Taylor/OC?  Red zone issues? 

I was kinda surprised when I looked and saw the Bengals have never averaged more points than the Bills have under Burrow and the Bills offensively has Diggs and then "others" for the most part compared to 3 legit WR's and a very good RB.  You would think they should be one of the higher scoring teams in the NFL and they are usually top 10, but you'd think they'd be Top 3 or even #1.

9 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

What does Box score mean? Oh right, the actual final result. Cool story nancy.

Also - telling us how Purdy only "really" threw for 200ish yards cause the rest were in prevent is irrelivant and a copout. It's like saying well we "really" won because the last 2 TD's the other team scored were in the last few mins of the game. They play 60 mins dudette.... get with it. Box score note" Bills pound your fraud wimps hard!!!!!!

Go Bills.

Thanks bra!

So you just dont know ball?  Gotcha.  As long as it makes you happy, fell free to keep up the cheerleading and the trash talk kid,

4 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Refute the fact that the Bengals are NOT hobbling injury wise?  Sure, we have no starters in danger of missing the game due to injuries.

As to the defense I have continually stated that we give up way too many yards.  It is kind of tricky stat wise though.

We were awful vs the Browns vs the run - but a closer look reveals that we held them to under 2 yds per carry 9 out of 10 times and then give up a 20 yarder a couple times. The offense did NOTHING and the game got away in the rain, vs a great oline and RB, and the 4th Qtr they just stomped us.
49ers had 365 yards passing, but 156 came on 3 drives vs prevent defense that ended in zero points.

We will always give up yards, we always have.  With Burrow and Higgins healthy hopefully the offense can stay on the field a little longer which will help. 

Allen is always a dual threat and if he goes off I will not be surprised just because of who he is.

A closer look tells me that the Browns ran it down your throat! I don't care when/where the yards and performance happened during the 60 mins of regulation time - but the matter of fact is that it happened. Am I incorrect?!??

156 yars vs prevent - who cares. That's your D choice to run prevent. Also, 365 yards by Purdy??? That's not a good thing dude. He isn't exactly Allen.

Just get ready is all I am saying... The Bills are not the Niners with Purdy and decimated by injuries. We will pound the Bengals. Bank it.

Enjoy the game, all 60 mins. Because I know we will!

Just now, Big Turk said:

Where do you think the issue lies?  Playing too conservative?  Play calling by Taylor/OC?  Red zone issues? 

I was kinda surprised when I looked and saw the Bengals have never averaged more points than the Bills have under Burrow and the Bills offensively has Diggs and then "others" for the most part compared to 3 legit WR's and a very good RB.  You would think they should be one of the higher scoring teams in the NFL and they are usually top 10, but you'd think they'd be Top 3 or even #1.

A few reasons:

1.  Burrow not being healthy until week 7 is pain in the a$$ and becoming quite annoying.  His limitations have been obvious 3 years in a row.  It is amazing how high our stats were at the end of each season.  We literally start out on the bottom third of every offensive category each season. 

2.  Offense line in 2021 was the worst in the league.  Oline up until week 7 or 8 last year was awful.  It is better this year.

3.  Zac Taylor doe not scheme well at all.  Mike McDaniel could do wonders with our WR corp and Burrow.  We simply do not scheme anyone open it seems.  Play calling has also been horrendous at times.  

I will say that last couple of games the scheme and play calling has been more creative, of course the TE room is pathetically awful.  We would gladly take Pete Metzelaars in his 60's right now.

• Haha (+1) 1

So to get away from this Punch Out! style of fighting over the game...

Who do you think will actually contribute on the field out of all of our signings, if any between Joseph, Douglas and Fournette? That's what I think we should be talking about as it could help to give us some sort of an edge we didn't have before in January.

17 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

A closer look tells me that the Browns ran it down your throat! I don't care when/where the yards and performance happened during the 60 mins of regulation time - but the matter of fact is that it happened. Am I incorrect?!??

156 yars vs prevent - who cares. That's your D choice to run prevent. Also, 365 yards by Purdy??? That's not a good thing dude. He isn't exactly Allen.

Just get ready is all I am saying... The Bills are not the Niners with Purdy and decimated by injuries. We will pound the Bengals. Bank it.

Enjoy the game, all 60 mins. Because I know we will!

You do know that you are proving my point about being a box score watcher right?  Your takes are the most immature on this entire board, Im not going to get into a trash talk convo with you.  There are many informed Bills fans here that I have enjoyed talking to and I actually respect

Edited by Caesar

19 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

The Bengals make stuff up to create a "nobody respects us/us against the world" attitude every week. They've been doing that since 2021.

Except one Bills player actually did say that.  I'm not sure that any others did.  That happens, trust me we had to deal with Eli Apple.

18 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

It's incredibly annoying because it works and there's nothing you can do about it.

I think it would be appropriate for the Bills to publicly complain about the Bengals intentionally trying to injure Josh Allen. THAT would be real bulletin board material. The Bills don't go there enough.

Except that did not happen.  The Bengals or the fans do not have any ill will towards Buffalo.  You guys also used to like us as well until we got Burrow....

1 hour ago, Caesar said:

Serious question.  Are you a teenager?  

I dont come here to trash talk and I dont come here to talk with children, period.  I simply read for the best Bills info and to provide some Bengals info.

Nothing I said warranted the "WTF????!!??" comment, and again you are proving yourself to be a box score watcher.  We will see how much pounding the Bills do on Sunday in Cincy.

FYI, most of us don't even know who Dillenger4 is.  He has all of 253 posts.  He doesn't represent the fan base or the "regular" members of this forum.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, eball said:

FYI, most of us don't even know who Dillenger4 is.  He has all of 253 posts.  He doesn't represent the fan base or the "regular" members of this forum.

I absolutely believe you.  There are so many here that I respect and enjoy talking ball with.  

5 hours ago, MJS said:

A lot of teams don't do it? I watch a lot of games and it is very rare to not see a deferral to start the game.

They didn't defer last night on TNF, and the announcers were kind of shocked by it.

The Bengals, by the way, have been deferring a lot more this year too.

We began taking the ball midway last season because our offense was sucking so bad to start the season, it seemed to help.  Not sure of the analytics, probably just a mental thing for us last year. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.