Hot take regarding McDermott and the end of games

Steptide

11 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Let me nitpick at McDermott some more.  Does this guy ever have a good time? He is wound so tight i think he will spontaneously combust sometimes. He never says anything in press conferences, or remotely funny.  Some of these other coaches like Siriani, Mike McDaniel, Campbell, etc.. keep it pretty loose when the moment is right, even during games. Mcdermott is a tight ass.  Solid coach but cmon Sean, have fun once in a while maybe it will rub off on the team.

From The Athletic today: https://theathletic.com/5012253/2023/10/30/buffalo-bills-trade-deadline-sean-mcdermott/

"A more existential question: Why does this team appear to be perpetually under stress? Nothing seems to come easy. The Bills often appear tight.

I think we’re going to find out over the remainder of this season and beyond whether the Bills’ very good, very successful head coach, Sean McDermott, is a great one. The intensity McDermott shows on the sideline and in general is part of his nature. It’s part of his success. Is it what the Bills need right now, as they try to cut back on the stress points? Does McDermott have another gear?

“I just think that team has been through a lot,” an exec said. “They remind me of a team that won it twice and is trying to do it again, like they are barely hanging on.”

“Some of these guys like Doug Pederson look relaxed in the games, going for it on fourth down, running Philly Special when their quarterback suggests it, and the team can play accordingly,” a veteran coach said. “You want them to play opportunistically and loose. Kansas City looks like they have fun. They are running ring-around-the-rosey. Buffalo does look like they play tight in some of the big situations.”

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

From The Athletic today: https://theathletic.com/5012253/2023/10/30/buffalo-bills-trade-deadline-sean-mcdermott/

"A more existential question: Why does this team appear to be perpetually under stress? Nothing seems to come easy. The Bills often appear tight.

I think we’re going to find out over the remainder of this season and beyond whether the Bills’ very good, very successful head coach, Sean McDermott, is a great one. The intensity McDermott shows on the sideline and in general is part of his nature. It’s part of his success. Is it what the Bills need right now, as they try to cut back on the stress points? Does McDermott have another gear?

“I just think that team has been through a lot,” an exec said. “They remind me of a team that won it twice and is trying to do it again, like they are barely hanging on.”

“Some of these guys like Doug Pederson look relaxed in the games, going for it on fourth down, running Philly Special when their quarterback suggests it, and the team can play accordingly,” a veteran coach said. “You want them to play opportunistically and loose. Kansas City looks like they have fun. They are running ring-around-the-rosey. Buffalo does look like they play tight in some of the big situations.”

Ha, look at that.  It wasn't just my Bills colored brain that notices his demeanor.  I think we all see it.  Maybe Allen wouldn't have to search for a different "energy" if the coach could help him.

• Agree 1

McDummy can't think under pressure. He's proven that time and again.  The best example I have is from the Cheats game. Late in the game, Cheats offense in complete disarray, no TO's, 4 seconds on the play clock, they're nowhere near snapping the ball.  Of course McDummy calls a TO to bail them out, instead of letting it run so they take a DOG penalty.  Absolutely idiotic. 

• Agree 2

On 10/27/2023 at 5:50 PM, Buffalo716 said:

It has worked and not worked over the years

And the main reason he does it... Is because you say the offensive coordinator will shift to something else

But that's the point... In a crucial point you want your best play call... Not your second or third.. the best play call

Sean gets to see your best look... And now you're forced to either run the look and he probably knows the play because he does a lot of studying.. or you're forced to run a lesser play

Sean got to see Andy's best look at :13.  I guess his 2nd & 3rd play was just as good.

On 10/27/2023 at 3:30 PM, Steptide said:

Let me start by saying that I'm not a "fire McDermott" guy. I think firing Dorsey or McD right now would be the worst possible thing for the bills. Anyway... 

Lots of talk today regarding the hail Mary and the bills letting the bucs back in the game. I have somewhat of a hot take regarding the end of these games. Our last 3 games (giants, pats and bucs) the bills have somehow managed to let teams get in a position to win, and in the Pats case, they did win. We all know McDermott loves his timeouts at the worst times, but I think it's deeper than that. I'm starting to think McDermott calling defensive plays AND trying to manage the team under 2 mins is too much and/or too confusing. To his credit, that IS alot of responsibility. When the game tightens up at the end , maybe McD needs to either hand off defensive calls to someone else, or have someone else manage clock/timeouts. This trend is definitely new, and I feel like this could be part of the reason. The raiders, Washington and Miami game were all well in hand with 2 mins left. 

The above is a very interesting post, with which I tend to agree. In addition to HC and DC, McDermott has more than an equal say with Beane (who he hired) in terms of the draft. 

McDermott would make a very good head coach and probably a great defensive coordinator. However, it does seem like the 3 spots that he occupies are a bit much for him. If I owned the team he would be the head coach.....period, and the team would be far better served.

Jmo.

• Agree 1

On 10/27/2023 at 8:50 PM, Buffalo716 said:

It has worked and not worked over the years

And the main reason he does it... Is because you say the offensive coordinator will shift to something else

But that's the point... In a crucial point you want your best play call... Not your second or third.. the best play call

Sean gets to see your best look... And now you're forced to either run the look and he probably knows the play because he does a lot of studying.. or you're forced to run a lesser play

I don’t have the stats in front of me but how often is the Bills defense successful on the play following a time out? 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

I have a hot take....

The bills are missing a stud player at each level of their defense and therefore aren't as good as they were at the beginning of the year.  You point out the trend is new and it is because it happened directly after the defense lost 3 of its best players!

The giants scored 9 points.  Can we stop grouping them in with "defensive struggles"

The buccaneers game came down to a desperation heave.  They didnt give up a long sustained drive.

Nobody is handing off play calls at the end of the game.  No hc is handing off time out calling.  Those to me are wild ideas with zero basis in reality.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

On 10/30/2023 at 12:15 PM, zow2 said:

Let me nitpick at McDermott some more.  Does this guy ever have a good time? He is wound so tight i think he will spontaneously combust sometimes. He never says anything in press conferences, or remotely funny.  Some of these other coaches like Siriani, Mike McDaniel, Campbell, etc.. keep it pretty loose when the moment is right, even during games. Mcdermott is a tight ass.  Solid coach but cmon Sean, have fun once in a while maybe it will rub off on the team.

I called McD "not a likeable guy" after the Giants win and I caught a ton of crap for it on this board, with some fellow going off on a tangent about how he has more testosterone or something. 

For as good as McD is, he does seem like he's always under extreme constant stress.    

On 10/27/2023 at 9:44 PM, Buffalo716 said:

He's been doing it for 6 years it's clearly something he likes to do

I would like to see the statistics over 6 years on positive versus negative outcome

And it has certainly bit Us in the butt in the past

You probably don’t recall the ones that have worked. You just take the win and move on. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.