TB / Buffalo Postgame thread

Simon

Just now, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Well that decision nearly cost the game putting that defense out there 

Did it?  Because Godwin was like 4 feet from catching a Hail Mary that he couldn’t even locate in the air? lol 

think about the alternative where there’s a good shot we got stopped at midfield once or maybe two times giving the bucs plenty of time to score.  If you don’t trust the defense, how the heck does that risk make sense? The clock was our best defender in the second half it doesn’t matter if it’s pretty.  Literally every bounce went the bucs way, they caught every break imaginable and they still couldn’t win 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I just cannot understand this board tonight lol you don’t risk turning the ball over at midfield against the bucs…offense moved the ball all night, dumb playcall from the goal line is a valid criticism, and we will not be punting on 4th and shorts against the bengals and eagles of the league.  

the bucs defense ain’t bad and our offensive line held up that’s a huge win 

So I think there’s a big difference between criticizing a moment or two vs a concept or thread of mistakes for a game.

I’ve hammered on some players, coaches, and even the FO this week. Tonight felt like there were a number of adjustments even if they weren’t perfect. 

Allen was much much better and we spread the ball out. The defense addressed a number of weak spots. Dorsey’s play calling was mostly very good. 

I will get wrapped around the axle in the minutia as the week goes on. But this game doesn’t get me throwing tomatoes within a few minutes of its ending. They could have done some things better, but tonight they were a pretty good team. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, somnus00 said:

Style points don't count. You're absolutely correct. I don't think anyone is mad that the Bills won. But the way in which you win can give you insight into future results. And the way they won this game gives many a bad feeding about the rest of the season. That's understandable, no? 

Sure, but each game is self=contained.  For a team that has looked lost for 3 weeks, tonight was a step in the right direction.  Worry about next week next week.

• Like (+1) 2

My thoughts on the game:

- the O-line was fantastic

- We're not the smartest team at times.  They should get an old tape of Levy saying don't be dumb, don't be dirty

- They heard us all week - Josh ran, and the no huddle was effective

- I love Ryan Fitzpatrick

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

The offense should have made a 1st down in 3 downs.  It also wasn't a 4th and 1's.

What if they didn't pick up the 1st?  The D is in even a worse position.

What if they get the first down,? What if they go on to score?

Literally no one is going to jump Offside because everyone knows they're not going for it 

Almost no defense can hold an opposing offense down 1 score with the game on the line because the NFL rules and officials are stacked in favor of the offense. Defensive-minded old school aholes like McD can’t grasp this and consistently put their players in positions to lose not win. 

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, Success said:

My thoughts on the game:

- the O-line was fantastic

- We're not the smartest team at times.  They should get an old tape of Levy saying don't be dumb, don't be dirty

- They heard us all week - Josh ran, and the no huddle was effective

- I love Ryan Fitzpatrick

My god I do not want to be Jordan phillips in that locker room 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I'm glad we won. It buys us more time to figure this out.

Josh had his fourth bad game in row. Stats say otherwise but tape will say different.

We scored 24 points and were a Godwin spin from being 4-4.

Edited by VW82
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

Everyone telling us before the game that we were going to lose is now telling us how awfully we won the game. Lol

This was like the Chiefs' Thursday game against the Broncos only our offense was better than theirs was. 

Jordan Phillips can get off my team, I"d love to add a DT at the deadline. He had the sack, and then deliberately reached out around the helmet to feel for the facemask, then latched on, all while Baker had no chance of escape. What the actual F*CK was that. This game is 24-10 and over at that point if he doesn't do that. 

Before this game, I had a quiet fear that this season was a complete goner because I was worried our defense was going to be stuck as a bottom 3 unit the rest of the way. But Tampa has some names in the passing game, even if their offense isn't very good, and the defense that showed up today was plenty as good as the 2020 baseline - and that was the year we got further than any other. If we can maintain that level, and get a timely stop or two, it can give us a shot. The reason it can give us a shot is the glimpses we saw on the other side of the ball. And maybe if we get a couple guys back, or make a couple additions, it can be better. There are still ballers on that side of the ball, and they have been incredibly unlucky with bounces the last few weeks compared to their opponents (eventually, the tips that keep going to the other team are going to start coming to us). Each touchdown drive was stopped short in a parallel universe by Poyer being just a tick to his left, or by Phillips not grabbing that facemask. Little tweaks and a few bounces. If we get the wins now, I can save the bounces for later. 

The reason a decent defensive performance, as opposed to a very good or great one, can give us a shot is because of the flashes we saw on the offensive side of the ball. They were not perfect - they could have scored a TD on every drive, but they didn't. They still made mistakes here and there, Tampa made a play or two, but what if Shakir and Kincaid are establishing themselves? 10 looked just like Beasley did in 2020 tonight. Tampa's secondary is no joke and we shredded it. There are kinks to work out, things to "complain" about, but the bones are still there to hope that we can catch fire at the right time. If we can pick up enough wins along the way, I'm okay with waiting to catch fire. It's not quite time yet. Something tells me these guys understand that on some level, even though they of course are trying to be great every play. 

I know we want the Bills to look perfect, and Sean to look perfect, but this team was as put together as any team I've seen on a Thursday night this year. That football is BAD. It's bad for a reason. And the Bills did not look the same type of bad most teams do in that setting. They are a good, well-coached team, no matter what people say, even if changes will ultimately have to be made. But that decision point is months away and I'm not ready to give up and assume it will happen yet. Go Bills. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Iverwig said:

Like the penalty that wasn’t called against the Bills tonight that should have been called on the Hail Mary. Like the penalty against the Taron Johnson that wasn’t called that should have been called against the Giants. Every team has penalties not called. If you can’t see the difference between this team and the good teams in the league I don’t know what else to tell you. 

The Taron play is a good point but the Hail Mary was not a non-call both players were battling for the ball and position. 

29 minutes ago, Hsker4life said:

The conservative approach in the 4th nearly cost us what should have been a comfortable win.

The Bills had about 10 opportunities to put a bow on the game from the mid 3rd quarter to the end. Anything from converting a single 3rd down, stopping just one 4th down, not punting the ball into the end zone, Von Miller jumping offside allowing Mayfield to reach the end zone, etc. They failed on every single chance.

For anyone who watches tennis, it was the equivalent of being 0-10 on break point opportunities, all of which were set points. The Bills should have won this game by 3 scores easily, but their self inflicted wounds nearly cost them the season

Just now, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

What if they get the first down,? What if they go on to score?

Literally no one is going to jump Offside because everyone knows they're not going for it 

It runs as many seconds off the clock before the kick.  Once in a while a team does jump.

Someday they will snap the ball while the D is asleep, but you don't do that against the NFC Tampa team.

Dig it.

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Did it?  Because Godwin was like 4 feet from catching a Hail Mary that he couldn’t even locate in the air? lol 

think about the alternative where there’s a good shot we got stopped at midfield once or maybe two times giving the bucs plenty of time to score.  If you don’t trust the defense, how the heck does that risk make sense? The clock was our best defender in the second half it doesn’t matter if it’s pretty.  Literally every bounce went the bucs way, they caught every break imaginable and they still couldn’t win 

If he dies that against Cincinnati, I'm all in on firing McDermott.

2 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

Almost no defense can hold an opposing offense down 1 score with the game on the line because the NFL rules and officials are stacked in favor of the offense. Defensive-minded old school aholes like McD can’t grasp this and consistently put their players in positions to lose not win. 

Every defense can when the clock is on your side…up 6 with 30 seconds left and the opponent has no timeouts and you have a pretty good chance to pin the ball deep is probably 99 out of 100 times a win at the very least

y’all just don’t have a handle on the game flow tonight it feels like.  Yea if it’s a high powered offense on the other side that can score quickly maybe you take some more risks on offense but it wasn’t 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

1 minute ago, VW82 said:

I'm glad we won. It buys us more time to figure this out.

Josh had his fourth bad game in row. Stats say otherwise but tape will say different.

We scored 24 points and were a Godwin spin from being 4-4.

Josh was anything but bad tonight.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.