Just got the stomach to watch the highlights- James Cook looked amazing

JerseyBills

only 13 carries for 56 about 4.3 ypc but he had some huge 1st downs, broke tackles and looked explosive. Take away that terrible call where he had no chance and got a 7 yard loss, that's 12 carries for 63 yards , healthy 5.2 ypc

Then on his receptions,  again super explosive and great hands.  3 for 43 yards 1td on 3 targets

Point being, he has to get more than 16 touches. He's showing He's a legit 3 down back with HR potential,  he's physical and explosive, would love to see him get several targets per game and get 25 touches per. Only issue is pass blocking,  where he's mediocre 

He can be a major key to the O if he's used more and used correctly, he can put up huge #s.  Use him as a legit #1 RB

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, JerseyBills said:

only 13 carries for 56 about 4.3 ypc but he had some huge 1st downs, broke tackles and looked explosive. Take away that terrible call where he had no chance and got a 7 yard loss, that's 12 carries for 63 yards , healthy 5.2 ypc

Then on his receptions,  again super explosive and great hands.  3 for 43 yards 1td on 3 targets

Point being, he has to get more than 16 touches. He's showing He's a legit 3 down back , would love to see him get several targets per game and get 25 touches per. 

He can be a major key to the O if he's used more and used correctly, he can put up huge #s

I agree, he has looked outstanding with the ball in his hands. He has the ability to break something off long everytime he touches it.

I do think, however that 16 touches is right about where he should be. I just don't believe he's built for every down work. He reminds me (production wise) of Tony Pollard in Dallas. Pollard an EXCELLENT 1B. But as the main guy his overall production isn't quite as explosive. He also is an almost straight up liability when it comes to pass blocking and blitz pickup which is exactly why we see Murray get the snaps he does. Cook is improving overall though and I think he can continue to grow.

I would, however like to see him more split out wide or in the slot more. Or as part of a 2 RB backfield with Murray where you can motion Cook out and create some mismatch.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I agree, he has looked outstanding with the ball in his hands. He has the ability to break something off long everytime he touches it.

I do think, however that 16 touches is right about where he should be. I just don't believe he's built for every down work. He reminds me (production wise) of Tony Pollard in Dallas. Pollard an EXCELLENT 1B. But as the main guy his overall production isn't quite as explosive. He also is an almost straight up liability when it comes to pass blocking and blitz pickup which is exactly why we see Murray get the snaps he does. Cook is improving overall though and I think he can continue to grow.

I would, however like to see him more split out wide or in the slot more. Or as part of a 2 RB backfield with Murray where you can motion Cook out and create some mismatch.

He's listed at 190. I think he's probably more after 2 off seasons. So maybe a little light for heavy lifting but I just would like to see him used close to as much  and similarly as Ekler, CMC, Kamara etc. Those 3 range from 200-215 pds.

Get him in open space and huge gains are possible.  

Pollard is a solid comparison 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 1

He and Kincaid seemed the only Bills player that had waken up on offense in the first half. He needs to block better if he wants more playing time. But using him as an outlet for short passes and get him in space was always the strong point of him being drafted. It was supposed to be an "unfair advantage".

Edited by Jerome007

21 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Point being, he has to get more than 16 touches. He's showing He's a legit 3 down back with HR potential,  he's physical and explosive, would love to see him get several targets per game and get 25 touches per. Only issue is pass blocking,  where he's mediocre 

He can be a major key to the O if he's used more and used correctly, he can put up huge #s.  Use him as a legit #1 RB

I’ll CC Dorsey with this information.., 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Funny thing is that many were complaining about Dorsey's lack of creativity last week when Cook ran the ball all 6 times that the situation was 2nd and short. Yet, Cook converted a first down on 5 out of 6 of those situations. So I am not complaining. Also, maybe that perceived tendency will open the playbook up in those 2nd and short situations.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

He's listed at 190. I think he's probably more after 2 off seasons. So maybe a little light for heavy lifting but I just would like to see him used close to as much  and similarly as Ekler, CMC, Kamara etc. Those 3 range from 200-215 pds.

Get him in open space and huge gains are possible.  

Pollard is a solid comparison 

I agree, he could have much the same impact as a young Kamara or Ekler (not agreeing to CMC because that dude is just a unicorn😂).

If it were me, of course over the course of a game I'd feed Cook what we need to get a W. But I'd try and limit his touches until late in the year.

One thing Kamara, Ekler and CMC all have in common: Either missed games or played through a ton of injury year in and year out. All three of those guys get overused to the point of being unavailable or seriously hampered year in and year out. That's what I'd want to try and avoid with Cook. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

He also is an almost straight up liability when it comes to pass blocking and blitz pickup

There is no "almost" about it.

He's so bad with it that it's definitely affecting his snaps, and they're not wrong for doing it, imo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

The problem is that he has been terrible in pass pro/blitz pickups lately.  Can't just put him in to run or it's too obvious.  However, he has been fantastic with the ball mostly.

He did completely wiped out on pass pro that really stood out to me. 

but cook as a runner and receiver has been good. It’s a downgrade when another rb gets touches. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Simon said:

There is no "almost" about it.

He's so bad with it that it's definitely affecting his snaps, and they're not wrong for doing it, imo.

I put "almost" because every once in a while someone runs over him so fast they actually get tripped up and fall down. So, maybe he's a terrible pass blocker but he's a superior speed bump. 

• Haha (+1) 2

This take is way over the top. Cook did have a very good game. Yes he should be used more in the passing game. Yes he does have some nice speed. 

However, let's not go crazy here. Cook is really just a Jag. You look on almost every team's roster and you can find a guy like him. Teams do not have to game plan for Cook. How many TDs and long runs does he have. Like previously said his blocking is bad. This seems to be the first game where he has broken tackles. He can be shut down pretty easily as the Jaguars showed. In that game he missed assignments and missed holes in his limited role. 

Yes he played a good game and looks good. He can be a integral part of the offense. But let's not make it like Cook is an all pro. He's not a 20 touch 3 down back. Those are rare nowadays. He's l just a Jag who will have good and bad games. 

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

The problem is that he has been terrible in pass pro/blitz pickups lately.  Can't just put him in to run or it's too obvious.  However, he has been fantastic with the ball mostly.

He has done alright in pass protection in past weeks, so hopefully he gets back to that. I don't think he is ever going to be great at it, but he needs to get to a point that he isn't a disaster.

9 hours ago, Blackbeard said:

Verbatim what WGR said.

Cool. I am sure other people agree too.  Pretty easy to see.  I didn't hear it on WGR if that is what you are implying. I don't really listen to them much except when I am bored in the car but I hardly leave home so thats almost never.

7 hours ago, MJS said:

He has done alright in pass protection in past weeks, so hopefully he gets back to that. I don't think he is ever going to be great at it, but he needs to get to a point that he isn't a disaster.

He has done alright earlier in the season, I agree.  These last two weeks he has whiffed or gotten knocked aside.

10 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

15-20 is a good rhythm for him to land around 300 for the season some games a couple more, others a few less. 

20 per is 340 touches and I don’t see value pushing over that level as a goal 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.