Bills vs Tampa Bay. On to Week 8

BuffaloBillyG

40 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Pretty exited for this game, about half my fantasy roster is going, going to be a big scoring week, I have Evans and White, who should both have career days and Allen, Kincaid and Davis, all who will score a lot trying to keep ahead of Baker.

I'm seeing lots of Bills fans heading for the exits.

• Haha (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Pretty exited for this game, about half my fantasy roster is going, going to be a big scoring week, I have Evans and White, who should both have career days and Allen, Kincaid and Davis, all who will score a lot trying to keep ahead of Baker.

I always hate when my fantasy players play on Thursday. It feels weird! 

No matter how ***** it’s been to this point, find a way to get a W and get to 5-3 rest. Give us a chance to get healthy and the roster set for the stretch run. Can’t go back and replay the Pats or Jets game. It’s over with now. You just have to keep moving forward. Don’t make it worse by losing another one. Find a way to get it done and sit back and get healthy.

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, davefan66 said:

I agree.

Unfortunately, unless we improve dramatically, we can probably categorize our opponents this way the remainder of the season.

There aren't any teams that come to mind that I'm comfortable that the Bills would be a sure winner

Just now, dorquemada said:

There aren't any teams that come to mind that I'm comfortable that the Bills would be a sure winner

There is no such thing in the NFL. The Niners just lost to the Browns and Vikings. The Eagles lost to the Jets and then beat the Dolphins. The only sure thing in this league is that the Chiefs will be great by week 10. The rest is week-to-week.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

is there anyone actually expecting them not to be tough after what we've witnessed up to this point?

Right?...

People out here acting like we're some confident fanbase right now.  I'd be worried if we had to play UB at this point. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Over the last three games the Bills have statistically the worst defense in the NFL.  This is certainly due to injuries.  But the reason does not change the problem. Very bad defense. 

If opposing teams  put up 127 passer ratings and run for 4 yards per carry as the Mac Jones led patriots did the Bills will almost certainly lose. 

Against the Jets and the Patriots the Bills offense struggled but actually played the full 60 minutes and gave the team two good chances to win.  

It’s seems we are doing everything we can on offense to keep our defense off the field.  The Bills controlled time of possession in both of those games.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

is there anyone actually expecting them not to be tough after what we've witnessed up to this point?

To me, having a tough defense and having a difficult time against a defense are two different things.

I think the Tampa D is legitimately a solid team, where as the Giants D isn’t actually a good defense, but we had trouble.

6 minutes ago, Chaos said:

It’s seems we are doing everything we can on offense to keep our defense off the field.  The Bills controlled time of possession in both of those games.  

And this fact, and I believe it is absolutely true, is likely playing a bigger part in the offenses struggles then we realize.  There is a strategic element, directed by the head coach, that goes into every game and this has to be a major point of emphasis between McD & Dorsey.

The problem though is our offense is built around a phenomenal talent at QB who is best at improvisation and an elite WR who meshes well with the QB.  The rest of the talent on offense is mediocre (though Kincaid & Cook may soon pop).  I don't see that the Bills have the type of talent on O that can efficiently execute the offense that McD wants and the defensive problems require.

• Like (+1) 1

They need to just go out there and get it done.  

If they cannot do that, then there's a lack of leadership, and that starts, on just about every team in every sport anyway, just seemingly not here, with the head coach.  

This team is currently playing to our non-best drought era levels, which is entirely inexcusable given the fact that we have Allen now.  

Edited by PBF81

21 minutes ago, Chaos said:

If our Offense wants to help the Defense, they'll score points before mid-way through the 3rd quarter. 

That's pointing out the obvious, but furthermore, the effective in-tact portion of our defense is our pass rush, fast linebackers in space and ball hawking safeties.   

Allowing teams to run, bleed clock, dink & dunk all game neutralizes any remaining strengths we have on Defense.  

Edited by SCBills

Just now, SCBills said:

If our Offense wants to help the Defense, they'll score points before mid-way through the 3rd quarter. 

That's pointing out the obvious, but furthermore, the effective in-tact portion of our defense is our pass rush, fast linebackers in space and ball hawking safeties.   

Allowing teams to run, dink, dunk neutralizes any remaining strengths we have on Defense.  

I checked the rule book again to make sure. Points scored in the third quarter and fourth quarter count the same as point scored in the first half.  Again no team in the NFL is winning games because they always enter the final two minutes with a lead and the ball or at least a nine point lead. Against the patriots the defense had only been on the field for 25 minutes entering the final two minutes with a lead.  Giving up a forty yard screen play on first down means we were massively out coached , or we injury depleted

defense is not up to minimal NFL standards.  

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

very few posters will understand the significance of this.  But it is pretty meaningful information 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Chaos said:

I checked the rule book again to make sure. Points scored in the third quarter and fourth quarter count the same as point scored in the first half.  Again no team in the NFL is winning games because they always enter the final two minutes with a lead and the ball or at least a nine point lead. Against the patriots the defense had only been on the field for 25 minutes entering the final two minutes with a lead.  Giving up a forty yard screen play on first down means we were massively out coached , or we injury depleted

defense is not up to minimal NFL standards.  

So.. to clarify... you're trying to tell me that our Offense putting up 3, 0, 3 in the past 3 first halves makes no difference to the way opposing offenses can attack our defense?

I know it does, because the past two have played us conservatively by taking points instead of going for it on 4th and shorts.

If we go up by two scores early on Mac Jones, does he sit back and throw a million 3 yard passes all game?  Maybe, but I doubt it.   Do they stick with the run, when it wasn't really going anywhere?  Maybe, but I doubt it. 

Our team was designed to get up on teams early and then rush the passer.   That was before the injuries.  It's even more imperative now. 

You can't pin your ears back when the opposing offense is perfectly happy playing it safe and we're worried that giving up any big play could be the game. 

• Agree 1

Hopefully we get off to a fast start. Something like 7-0 with 10 minutes left in the 1st quarter and go from there. If Tampa is up 3-0 midway through the 2nd quarter, then gloom and doom posts on this board will be out full force. I think the Bills win but it will be close. 24-16.

13 minutes ago, Chaos said:

very few posters will understand the significance of this.  But it is pretty meaningful information 

I understand the metric but maybe you have a more wholesome comprehension of how this could weigh into what we’ve seen vs. why we are losing? 

Many non-statheads would say, “what does is matter if we lose?”

I am not one of those guys, as I do think metrics play SOME roll in helping us see a more complete picture.

That being said, I do wonder if some of the circumstances the Bills are finding themselves in (turnovers, penalties, etc) and the overcompensation of our team to adjust to those can partial explain why we have such a good composite EPA but are still losing games.

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Over the last three games the Bills have statistically the worst defense in the NFL.  This is certainly due to injuries.  But the reason does not change the problem. Very bad defense. 

If opposing teams  put up 127 passer ratings and run for 4 yards per carry as the Mac Jones led patriots did the Bills will almost certainly lose. 

Against the Jets and the Patriots the Bills offense struggled but actually played the full 60 minutes and gave the team two good chances to win.  

Our interior is killing us.  When you get nothing in the middle, the QB can make comfortable reads.

We are probably going to be bad until Jones and Oliver get back.  Losing one hurts, losing two is crippling.  Ed I think should be back so that really should help.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Our interior is killing us.  When you get nothing in the middle, the QB can make comfortable reads.

We are probably going to be bad until Jones and Oliver get back.  Losing one hurts, losing two is crippling.  Ed I think should be back so that really should help.

This is why I hope Beane can made a trade for a DT. I would have DT as the #1 priority, even more so than a #2 WR.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, SCBills said:

So.. to clarify... you're trying to tell me that our Offense putting up 3, 0, 3 in the past 3 first halves makes no difference to the way opposing offenses can attack our defense?

I know it does, because the past two have played us conservatively by taking points instead of going for it on 4th and shorts.

If we go up by two scores early on Mac Jones, does he sit back and throw a million 3 yard passes all game?  Maybe, but I doubt it.   Do they stick with the run, when it wasn't really going anywhere?  Maybe, but I doubt it. 

Our team was designed to get up on teams early and then rush the passer.   That was before the injuries.  It's even more imperative now. 

You can't pin your ears back when the opposing offense is perfectly happy playing it safe and we're worried that giving up any big play could be the game. 

To clarify, a defense that needs a 14 point lead to be effective is a crappy defense. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.