Jets trade Mercole Hardman to Chiefs

boco357

19 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

When it comes to WRs, they have been, but this Rashee Rice is picking up steam. Toney and Moore are not cutting it, hence why KC traded for Hardman.

Rice has seen a decent amount of targets per game. Think the only way you get better is seeing more of the ball. Hopefully for him it continues as he was an intriguing prospect coming out of SMU. 

Edited by BBFL
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Sometimes people get all "lolchiefs" until they play in their home stadium in the AFCCG for the 100th year in a row.  Figured you should just get that out of your system now.

I said that they had poor WR's not a poor team.  I even agree with the team build.

An interesting contrast would be the Phins.  Absolutely loaded at the skill positions but have a terrible defense.  Chiefs could still have Tyreek but it would be at the expense of maybe Chris Jones or the revamped oline.

5 hours ago, Gregg said:

They are trading late Rd picks in 2025.

Chiefs get Hardman and a 7th round pick in 2025.

Jets get a 6th round pick in 2025.

Why do teams even do these late round draft swaps? Seriously, is there some salary cap benefit to it that I'm not aware of?

Example: Broncos dumped bust free agent "pass rusher" Randy Gregory. Initial reports said he was waived. Later reports corrected that: it was a draft pick swap!

49ers get Gregory and the Broncos 7th round pick. Broncos get the Niners 6th round pick in return.

Niners 6th rounder and Broncos 7th rounder may actually be consecutive picks. So ... why?

Face saving or something that I'm missing?

13 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Why do teams even do these late round draft swaps? Seriously, is there some salary cap benefit to it that I'm not aware of?

Example: Broncos dumped bust free agent "pass rusher" Randy Gregory. Initial reports said he was waived. Later reports corrected that: it was a draft pick swap!

49ers get Gregory and the Broncos 7th round pick. Broncos get the Niners 6th round pick in return.

Niners 6th rounder and Broncos 7th rounder may actually be consecutive picks. So ... why?

Face saving or something that I'm missing?

It's got to do with waiver priority.  If the Jets are planning to cut Hardman, they tell the Chiefs ahead of that.  If the Chiefs kind of want him, and would definitely put in a waiver claim, they have to guess how likely it is that a team with a worse record would also claim him, and therefor get him. Let's say that the Bills are actually interested in getting Hardman for free - if they put in the claim the Bills would get him and the Chiefs would miss out.

A swap of 6th and 7th round picks in a future draft is about the cheapest compensation you can offer.  Maybe a couple of bags of footballs would be cheaper, but if the Jets are already fully stocked with footballs, then it's not very enticing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BBFL said:

Rice has seen a decent amount of targets per game. Think the only way you get better is seeing more of the ball. Hopefully for him it continues as he was an intriguing prospect coking out of SMU. 

He's gained Mahomes's trust more than the other WRs, but of course I missed out on picking him up in my fantasy league by mere minutes.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.