NFL wants to eliminate "hip drop" tackles

BaaadThingsMan

On 10/19/2023 at 8:07 PM, PatsFanNH said:

You do realize you be asking refs who can’t call a game already right. Now you have another JUDGEMENT call for them to make. 

Barf, agreeing with a Pats fan :)

But this is the main issue, how on earth will the refs be able to eyeball this.  If they do change the rule, any flag for a "hip drop tackle" must be reviewed.  

Jesus Christ. Please, No more new rules. The game is officiated terribly. The challenges aren’t even broadcasted, they just come back from commercial and the next play is on and the announcer passingly mentions the result of the challenge.

Is the NFL the only game where penalties happen but the play continues, then it’s sorted out with the refs?

I’m against any new rules, the NFL can’t help themselves from screwing it up majorly. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/18/2023 at 3:02 PM, Buffalo619 said:

Ironic, the nfl want to keep putting safety rules in place yet injuries are sky rocking at a faster pace than ever before. Seems to be having the opposite affect. 

It's not about that. The more obtuse judgement calls you introduce into the game the more you can control the outcome. Holding isn't called until it is magically once or twice in huge spots, pass interference, illegal contact, roughing the QB, now stuff like this. All of it can be called almost every play but isn't. Then insert the what is a catch or not crap, intentional grounding, hell even delay of game has become subjective. It's all in the up and up though.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

Agree. The nfl has become unwatchable because of two things: new rules and Vegas. 

The NFL has become unwatchable?  I assume this is just hyperbole and you still watch.

Either way, how does Vegas make it 'unwatchable' for you?  For me the only way Vegas would make it unwatchable is if I was convinced it was fixed. The rest is just annoying - which admittedly makes it less enjoyable (for me) to watch.  

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Can we just play football, what's he supposed to do just let him go ??

I agree to an extent... But here we are in 2023..

I had close to a dozen concussions playing from 5 years old through college football... I know the damage the game can do..  and I still love it

But I can agree with this

You could tackle a player from the side or from behind without this technique... It's a dilapidating tackle

Especially when you get a grown man dropping his entire body weight onto the back of a player's leg... It's a broken femur or torn tendons all day

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

I agree to an extent... But here we are in 2023..

I had close to a dozen concussions playing from 5 years old through college football... I know the damage the game can do..  and I still love it

But I can agree with this

You could tackle a player from the side or from behind without this technique... It's a dilapidating tackle

Especially when you get a grown man dropping his entire body weight onto the back of a player's leg... It's a broken femur or torn tendons all day

sometimes thats all you have, im sure thats not how he wanted to tackle him

• Agree 1

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

sometimes thats all you have, im sure thats not how he wanted to tackle him

Listen I'm 99% sure nobody draws it up that way... And I'm 100% sure I've tackled somebody that way

But sitting here on the outside looking in as an adult with coaching experience with young men under them... I could see why the NFL is suspect

If somebody tackled Josh like that and shredded his legs... Every single one here would be up in arms... And rightfully so... It's like a gator roll tackle... Not right... And Josh is taken this... What looks like for sure something dilapidating... And got off and shrugged It off

Thank God our quarterback is 6'5 250 lb and a beast

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Listen I'm 99% sure nobody draws it up that way... And I'm 100% sure I've tackled somebody that way

But sitting here on the outside looking in as an adult with coaching experience with young men under them... I could see why the NFL is suspect

If somebody tackled Josh like that and shredded his legs... Every single one here would be up in arms... And rightfully so... It's like a gator roll tackle... Not right... And Josh is taken this... What looks like for sure something dilapidating... And got off and shrugged It off

Thank God our quarterback is 6'5 250 lb and a beast

the NFL is definitely suspect

Play flag football then.  If you can’t tackle guys around the legs then smaller defenders will just get run over.  You can’t even breathe on a QB anymore.  If you’re a microsecond late hitting a WR he’s defenseless.  It’s a physical game and by whittling down what type of physicality is permissible you eventually get to the point where the game can’t be played or officiated.

On 10/19/2023 at 5:11 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Nfl : defenses are no longer allowed to tackle

fans: why is our defense so soft 

For over a decade, I have been sharing my suggestion to the NFL if they really care about head trauma.

It's simple- either no helmet, or a leather helmet.

Players are instructed at young age to put their "hat on the ball".   

By removing helmets, players would form tackle.  It would speed the game up, and ultimately  enhance the game.

There are huge hits every Rugby game, and a fraction of head trauma that plagues the NFL

On 10/18/2023 at 8:08 PM, Allen2Diggs said:

The league needs to do a better job at maintaining their playing fields. Natural grass is the safest choice and a multibillion dollar league shouldn't cheap out on astroturf while claiming to promote player safety.

100% this. Even on those hip drop tackles a lot of the injuries come from a players cleats not sliding the same way on the artificial turf that they do on natural grass. 

I know from the end of my soccer playing years as more and more non-league sides switched to artificial pitches (because they never have games called off, they can hire them out to schools in the week and generate income etc) that I really struggled to find footwear I felt safe on them in. Now that is one person and is entirely anecdotal and The Lancet did some work earlier this year that found no evidence to suggest there is a causal link between artifical turf and increased injuries. But there was earlier research commissioned for the NCAA thar suggested knee injuries and ankle injuries WERE more common on artificial turf. 

Basically I am not persuaded that the two are equivalent and I'd support a move back to more grass fields.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.