Allen’s underthrown passes

Einstein

6 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I didn’t hear that in the press conference. Well that explains that. It was a TD all day if hit in stride. 

Did he mention what happened on the first long throw to Diggs? The one where no defender was within 15 yards of him?

He didn't on that one.  I looked at the replay and it looks like he just saw Diggs the last second open deep and threw it just to make it was completed.  Allen was a little jittery with the traffic in the pocket.

If Diggs was the go to and Allen looked his way earlier....it would have been a better completion IMO.  It was the same play design as the Titans game last year with Allen hitting Diggs on the 50 yarder TD.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Einstein said:

And this was the deep completion to Diggs where no one covered him (he would have walked into the endzone if the ball hit him in stride).

No NFL QB hits 40+ in the air passes with 100% in stride accuracy.  Allen hits a higher percentage than almost anyone else.  The difference is that this year we have neutered the passing offense, and there are no many occassions in a game for the long ball, so when there is a miss, it sticks out more than in past years. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It was right infront of me. Diggs had his man beat. He had to come back to the ball. It was underthrown there is no doubt about it. I need to watch back to see just how much pressure Josh was under when he let it go... it might explain it. But it wasn't an elite throw that Diggs should have come down with. It was an underthrown ball that was a 60-40 DB pick. 

I saw it on multiple replay's and Diggs should have made that catch. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

40 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He didn't on that one.  I looked at the replay and it looks like he just saw Diggs the last second open deep and threw it just to make it was completed.  Allen was a little jittery with the traffic in the pocket.

If Diggs was the go to and Allen looked his way earlier....it would have been a better completion IMO.  It was the same play design as the Titans game last year with Allen hitting Diggs on the 50 yarder TD.

Agree.  Take last years 55 yard TD shot to Diggs in the home NE game.  Allen read the one on one coverage BEFORE THE SNAP and made the quick decision to go to Diggs.  Yesterday on the long pass to Diggs that was intercepted Allen seemed to look first at shorter throws that would get the 1st down on 3rd & 15.  He was also under pressure in the pocket.  He saw Diggs breaking free more then 50 yards downfield and made a great throw putting the ball on Diggs hands.  A great play by the DB robed the Bills of a 1st and goal at the 5.

No on is going to convince me that when you consider all the factors involved - the play call, where Allen looks first, the pass protection and then the throw, this wasn't a great pass by Allen that should have been a 50 yard strike to the 5.  IMO there are posters on 2BD who have a completely warped understanding of how hard it is to make these throws that far downfield.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This is completely inaccurate.

McDermott and Dorsey are by far, by far the most criticized after a loss.  There is Fire McDermott and Dorsey almost weekly on here. 

25 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

And that is insane is as well.

Indeed. And yet we continue to feed the trolls, half of whom are probably Dolphins fans, when we should be sending them back under the bridge from under which they crawled.

Ignore is your best friend 😄

Edited by Rat-boy
  • Like (+1) 1

On 10/8/2023 at 3:24 PM, RyanC883 said:

no, he cannot make those passes almost ever.  When is the last in stride TD pass he has thrown over 20 yards?   He makes lazers in short windows for sure, but he needs to make the routine ones also. 

Davis yesterday vs. Jax (19 yards but he was more than a yard into the end zone)

Davis last week vs. Miami (18 yards but same thing)

Davis 2 weeks ago vs. Wash (35 yards)

Plus he had the 55 yarder to Diggs vs. Miami but Diggs had the broken tackles and spin move for YAC and score. 

He’s had 1 bad game this season (week 1). Has multiple other 15 or so yard TDS this year too. He’s completing 73.1% of his passes even with the drops. 

On 10/8/2023 at 1:52 PM, Einstein said:

This is not an Allen bashing thread. Please don’t turn it into one. This is a thread to talk about Allen’s tendency to underthrow this season.

In this particular game, Diggs torched his defender twice, deep, and I believe that there is a good chance that both would have been TD’s if the pass hit him in stride.

On both plays, Allen underthrew him, causing Diggs to stop running or slow down drastically.

He has had a couple other underthrown deep passes this season - mostly on deep throws.

I’m curious what you think is causing these underthrows: Do you think Allen is under-estimating how far he needs to throw it? Is it simply too far to throw? Is he not stepping into the passes? What are your thoughts?

This was the INT (Diggs had several steps on the defender).

IMG-3670.jpg

And this was the deep completion to Diggs where no one covered him (he would have walked into the endzone if the ball hit him in stride).

IMG-3674.jpg

I dunno about the first picture with the int but the second picture one traveled over 55 yards in the air.  Allen would of had to throw that over 70 yards to hit Diggs in stride.

Edited by Scott7975

On 10/8/2023 at 12:56 PM, mrags said:

Careful there. I’ve brought this exact thing up in the past. And people just keep telling me that the throws are amazing and not many in the league can make these throws. Still doesn’t take away from the fact that he seems to consistently underthrow passes when his WRs are streaking deep for what should be walk in TDs.

he’s done this since he started in the league. His first few years he had quite a few of these to Foster and Brown as well.  

How dare thee speak such blasphemy!  100 lashings with a wet noodle AND a naked lap dance from Tonya harding for you!!!

P.S.  I'll be in the same boat,  he wasn't under pressure for the 1st deep ball to Diggs Sunday, AND yes he has had some under throws.  Not sure what it is.  I blame Hailey, Mickey said " women weaken the legs!" 😁

Edited by SoonerBillsFan
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

According to Joe Marino the INT was about 70 yards in the air.  I would say that was more late than underthrown.  

If not mistaken, I believe Spencer Brown was being blocked right into Josh and he had to slide step to his left before launching - hence a slight disruption in the timing as you suggest. 

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Allen balled out Sunday.  It would have been nice if someone on offense helped him out.  

Diggs and Gabe made plays, but both had huge drops.  3rd down drops- you let Josh and the Defense down!

Simply put this is the best response yet. 

If only Josh Allen was the Bills biggest problem and we'd be all set to win a Super Bowl.

HE IS NOT.

• Like (+1) 1

For a lot of qbs, Allen played a pretty good games. However, we can’t measure Allen by that since he is a top qb. We gave up 11 points for like 85% of that game. We gave up little to the Jets. There is zero excuse why we lost both of those games. 

we are beyond blessed to have Allen and he is at the bottom of the list of problems for this team. But those 2 games are where elite guys put you on their backs and win them. 2 AFC losses this early is rough. Gotta be better.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.