Claypool traded to Miami

Big Blitz

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I lost track.  Why is Chicago trading him for a used jockstrap and a bag of chips?

Because he dgaf

6 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Yes.

Randy Gregory would have been a more valuable pickup for the Dolphins IMO.

But more valuable.  Huge get for the niners already beastly DL

26 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

What this tells me is Miami knows their defense is a disaster and can’t be fixed in one season. So, they are loading up on offense and going to try and win by just pouring on points every weekend. They will win a lot of games but get bounced by anyone who slows down their offense.

I don't think their defense is a disaster.  But they went into the season in the same position the Bills finished 2021 - missing their star lockdown CB.

The Bills drafted CBs in 2022 and went into the season star-less, but they seem to have had a plan to be solid at that point.

The part about the Miami D that was a disaster against the Bills was putting Kader Kouhou 1:1 against Diggs.  They really should have double-covered Diggs and forced the Bills to beat them by throwing to someone else.

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I don't think their defense is a disaster.  But they went into the season in the same position the Bills finished 2021 - missing their star lockdown CB.

The Bills drafted CBs in 2022 and went into the season star-less, but they seem to have had a plan to be solid at that point.

The part about the Miami D that was a disaster against the Bills was putting Kader Kouhou 1:1 against Diggs.  They really should have double-covered Diggs and forced the Bills to beat them by throwing to someone else.

I disagree. Ramsey hasn’t been a lock down CB for years. Diggs isn’t the only WR to torch him on the regular.

It’s pretty clear Fangio is trying to plug players into his scheme instead of devising a scheme around his players. Wilkins is a shell of his former self. Instead of going all in for a contract, it seems like he’s mailing it in. Xavier has sucked for 2 years, Miami’s LB’s are awful besides Van Ginkel who can rush the passer once in a while. Holland is not playing up to his reputation so far but he’s still young. Sure, Phillips was out which affects the other players but overall this Miami D gives up a lot of yards and points. I’d say considering the hype that Fangio received in the off season, so far this D has been a huge disappointment and McD knows he needs to score a lot of points.

17 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

I disagree. Ramsey hasn’t been a lock down CB for years. Diggs isn’t the only WR to torch him on the regular.

It’s pretty clear Fangio is trying to plug players into his scheme instead of devising a scheme around his players. Wilkins is a shell of his former self. Instead of going all in for a contract, it seems like he’s mailing it in. Xavier has sucked for 2 years, Miami’s LB’s are awful besides Van Ginkel who can rush the passer once in a while. Holland is not playing up to his reputation so far but he’s still young. Sure, Phillips was out which affects the other players but overall this Miami D gives up a lot of yards and points. I’d say considering the hype that Fangio received in the off season, so far this D has been a huge disappointment and McD knows he needs to score a lot of points.

Well, now, which is it?  You say Fangio is trying to plug players into his scheme instead of devising a scheme around his players.  But then you go on to heavily critique the players.  So is it the scheme that's a mismatch, or is it the players that are bad? 

Regarding Ramsey, in 2020 and 2021 he was a 1st team all-pro for a reason, with a completion percentage against him of 51% and 59% respectively.  Fell off a bit last season, but part of that is the Ram's offense free-falling from a top-10 offense to bottom-5.  It's not true that he hasn't been a lockdown corner with a high level of play "for years".  And pretty much every cornerback will get torched now and again by the league's best WRs.  He commanded a 3rd round pick plus a player - both sides in that trade thought he can still play.

I don't feel a lot of energy in delving into the details of LB play, Xavier Holland, Wilkins etc but if you're right about the scheme being a poor fit, how can you tell whether Wilkins is a "shell of his former self", or whether moving from a 4-3 to a 3-4 simply doesn't suit him?  The Dolphins signed David Long from the Titans as a FA for $11M/2, he's not Oluakun or Roquan Smith but I think he's regarded as "solid" not "awful".  Van Ginkel, BTW, is listed as their 2nd string and started 2/4 games.  So given the preceding and your Ramsey "hasn't been a lock down for years" excuse me if I'm skeptical.

Regarding the Miami D overall, right now they're about where they were last year - 24th, 25th - but 1/4 of that is getting whalloped by the Bills.  They have 2 games where they've given up less than 20 points (league average is 22) and 2 games where they've given up more than 30 points.  So it may be early days to see whether or not they're a huge disappointment.  

I think it's fair to say that Fangio has not effected an immediate and dramatic improvement.

11 hours ago, BRH said:

The Dolphins know they’re not going to be able to re-sign Waddle, not with Tua’s contract coming due.  I feel like this is more of a next year move.  Claypool, if he produces, will come cheaper.  If he doesn’t, they can look at the draft or other FAs.  

Berrios and Wilson are UFA next spring.

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Well, now, which is it?  You say Fangio is trying to plug players into his scheme instead of devising a scheme around his players.  But then you go on to heavily critique the players.  So is it the scheme that's a mismatch, or is it the players that are bad? 

Regarding Ramsey, in 2020 and 2021 he was a 1st team all-pro for a reason, with a completion percentage against him of 51% and 59% respectively.  Fell off a bit last season, but part of that is the Ram's offense free-falling from a top-10 offense to bottom-5.  It's not true that he hasn't been a lockdown corner with a high level of play "for years".  And pretty much every cornerback will get torched now and again by the league's best WRs.  He commanded a 3rd round pick plus a player - both sides in that trade thought he can still play.

In terms of Fangio it’s both - his scheme does not match his players so he’s not putting them in the best position to succeed. I know you love stats Beck, which makes me wonder why you conveniently left off Ramsay’s stats for 2022 - Completion percentage of 63% and 7 touchdowns. Not horrible, not shut down. He’s gotten worse each year since 2020 and his reputation is better than his play. Who knows how he’ll be when he comes back. I agree putting Kohou on an island with Diggs was ridiculous, but Xavien Howard hasn’t played well for the last few seasons (yes injuries have played a role) and Idk if he’d do much better against Diggs. I don’t care where Van Ginkel is on the depth chart. If you’ve watched Miami for the first 4 weeks, he’s the only linebacker that’s consistently doing something on the field, which is mainly rushing for him. Baker and Long have been meh. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.