Is pickle ball a cult?

4merper4mer

Funny timing for this thread. I played for the first time yesterday - my company rented a place with an instructor for a few hours.  It was a lot of fun except that most of the people who went were not very athletic.

Crazy thing to me is how expensive the paddles can get. Instructor said his was $250.  

28 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Funny timing for this thread. I played for the first time yesterday - my company rented a place with an instructor for a few hours.  It was a lot of fun except that most of the people who went were not very athletic.

Crazy thing to me is how expensive the paddles can get. Instructor said his was $250.  

Many cults look to extract money from their membership early in the cycle to establish a pattern.  A $250 piece of particle board seems like a good start, but I wouldn’t think that alone is enough to classify it.

55 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Many cults look to extract money from their membership early in the cycle to establish a pattern.  A $250 piece of particle board seems like a good start, but I wouldn’t think that alone is enough to classify it.

You might be on to something with this cult stuff. I have to admit that when they mentioned the 'golden pickle' I checked to see if the doors to the court were locked from the outside.

• Like (+1) 1

Not a cult.  Started playing about six months ago with some folks who’ve been in it for a while.  We don’t take it too seriously, it’s a social thing and you get a little exercise.  Can you spend $200+ on a paddle?  Yes, but you don’t have to.  You want sticker  shock?  Take up road biking or downhill skiing. $$$$!

• Like (+1) 1

I have gotten into it. Thought it was lame before I tried it as a former tennis player (and I still prefer tennis), but it is pretty fun. I have played with my college age nephews and it is better when it is fast and you have athletic players. 

I will say that I get annoyed at some of these hard-core players. I played in a tournament on a cruise with these guys that took it way too seriously, and it started to annoy me.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, boyst said:

Jonestowns finest flavors

It was actually grape Flavor Aid NOT Kool-Aid used in Jonestown. 😉 

To answer the OP... Judging from people who play it... Yes.

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I will say that I get annoyed at some of these hard-core players. I played in a tournament on a cruise with these guys that took it way too seriously, and it started to annoy me.

Isn't this in Human Psychology 101? Like everything else...

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I have gotten into it. Thought it was lame before I tried it as a former tennis player (and I still prefer tennis), but it is pretty fun. I have played with my college age nephews and it is better when it is fast and you have athletic players. 

That’s the big problem we’ve been having in our “beer league” adult hockey team. We were tired of getting out ass beat by 18 year olds, some of which were still playing in high school prep leagues 🙄. After about 15 years we decided to drop down a league, and are still currently 0-4 😂……we may have waited too long 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

That’s the big problem we’ve been having in our “beer league” adult hockey team. We were tired of getting out ass beat by 18 year olds, some of which were still playing in high school prep leagues 🙄. After about 15 years we decided to drop down a league, and are still currently 0-4 😂……we may have waited too long 🤦🏻‍♂️

There should be a rule that if you can't legally drink beer, you can't play in a beer league. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.