Josh is spoiling us.

tomur67

11 hours ago, Man with No Name said:

ive said for a few years that i wont be able to go back to how the last 20 years were before Josh. If it looks like that again, i will most likely stop watching. 

Assuming I'm alive after Josh hangs up the cleats, I'm pretty sure I'll still be a Bills fan but it will be like living in a world without color.

10 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I know some people don't want to admit it, but Bill Parcells is perhaps the greatest coach of the modern era.  While most HOF coaches can be linked to a HOF QB, Parcells won wherever he went with multiple QBs.  Now add the defensive mind of Belichick to Parcells & you have the greatest 1-2 punch in NFL history.  Maybe instead of blaming Levy for being outcoached, it's time to recognize how great the coaching was on the other side.  A staff that would be able to out coach just about every other NFL coaching staff.  That same staff also included past or future NFL head coaches Tom Coughlin, Ron Erhardt, Al Groh, and Charlie Weiss (I'm excluding Parcells' successor Ray Handley from the list, but he was a head coach too) 

Joe Gibbs won 3 Super Bowls with Theisman, Rypien, and Doug Williams. Parcells won 2 Super Bowls with Phil Simms and Jeff Hostetler.

Parcells was a great coach but I give the nod to Gibbs.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Gibbs was 30-34 in the regular season & 1-2 in playoffs when he came back in 2004-2007.  Parcells never had a losing cumulative record in any of the 4 coaching stints with 4 different teams, improving every team he coached.  The Patriots were only .500 during his time there, but in 4 seasons he took them from the worst team in football the year before he got there to AFC champs in his final season before going to the Jets & turning them from losers to winners.  

Gibbs 2nd stint in Washington diminished his credentials.  Parcells never diminished his credentials, no matter how bad the team was before he arrived.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

THIS! By the latter stages of his rookie season, he completely rid me of a life long rue about the Bills being able to convert a 3rd and 8 or longer. No distance can’t be overcome with this unicorn. I’ve seen every Bills QB since Johnny Green and we’ve NEVER had anyone like him. We will exist in a horrible purgatory when he leaves, the likes of which most everyone here will never see again. 

P.S. what’s with the rolling eyes emoji @Bob Jones??😡

And that is my worry too and why I get so much flack here.

I really think this coaching staff has impeded Josh's growth and potential in so many ways and if fully unleashed he'd put up more ridiculous #'s.

The last three games have been cakewalks, but could have been even worse beatings if they did some things differently (not that they needed to).

We've talked about the red zone and for the most part Josh hasn't run at all either.  Add to that Kincaid and passes between 10-20 yards are down for now.

The next test will be how the Bills respond in a tighter game, maybe some bad breaks, and if they fall behind by more then a score.  

They failed that vs. NYJ.  

• Disagree 2

16 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

What a whippersnapper! Try Tommy O’Connell, Warren Rabb, Tom Flores, Dan Darragh, Kay Stephenson, James Harris, Dennis Shaw (ROY)  Joe Dufek, Gary Marangi, Vince Ferragamo, Dan Manucci, Bruce Mathison and even Eddie Rutkowski. 
When Josh’s days are done, this is depth we’ll fall to.

My father didn't watch any football... took me decades to find out why. His twin brother was a high school football player and he died when his car drove off of a bridge and into the river right before their graduation. Extremely painful for him. I didn't have the legacy of passing on being a football fan that most here did.

My mother was right in the middle of the excitement of the Bills seasons of the 1960s as she lived in Youngstown, NY and went to Fredonia and only later did she tell me about it and of course how all of her friends were enamored with Joe Namath 🤢 So, despite the handicap of being born just before OJ got his 2,000 yards, I have for decades now soaked up the history I never got to experience.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Assuming I'm alive after Josh hangs up the cleats, I'm pretty sure I'll still be a Bills fan but it will be like living in a world without color.

Joe Gibbs won 3 Super Bowls with Theisman, Rypien, and Doug Williams. Parcells won 2 Super Bowls with Phil Simms and Jeff Hostetler.

Shula, Landry, and Walsh could also be in the conversation. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/4/2023 at 9:15 AM, tomur67 said:

In the past, I could turn on the TV and really get interested in any NFL game that was on.  Now, after watching Josh play the game, watching other QB's is kind of ho-hum.  Most of the time the games are kind of boring. Yes, a few of them can make a couple of great throws a game, like Tua to a wide-open Hill or Waddle, or Mahomes to Kelce, but none, no one, plays the game like Josh Allen. Yes, I know I'm prejudiced, but I believe he is the most exciting and talented quarterback in the game today and will go down in history as one of the best.  Every snap he takes, you know he could make a play that no other QB could possibly make.  That is what makes him so exciting to watch. We are so damn lucky to have him.

Who’s to say we don’t find our next franchise guy after Josh? Packers had Favre then Rodgers, then 49ers had Montana then Young. 

• Agree 1

On 10/4/2023 at 9:15 AM, tomur67 said:

In the past, I could turn on the TV and really get interested in any NFL game that was on.  Now, after watching Josh play the game, watching other QB's is kind of ho-hum. 

I even realize that after JA17, I might temporary lose my Bills enjoyment. I can't even figure out how I was still so hyped up during the drought years ha ha. It's 80% JA, but also having such a dominant team. Struggling teams and bad QB play in particular is not that exciting anymore...

So I enjoy it a LOT right now. Sure that Bengals playoff loss last year had me steaming for a long while against the coaches, but reading this board, it seems some expect perfection out JA, the players, the coaches, and are even less thrilled than during the bad years. That I can not understand!

On 10/4/2023 at 11:07 AM, Heels20X6 said:

I don't think we're spoiled.  If you're old enough to remember:

• Todd Collins
  • Alex Van Pelt
  • Rob Johnson
  • JP Losman
  • Kelly Holcomb
  • Trent Edwards
  • Jeff Tuel
  • Thad Lewis
  • Kyle Orton
  • EJ Manuel
  • Tyrod Taylor
  • Nathan Peterman

Then you fully deserve to enjoy Josh Allen.

Exactly the Buffalo Bills fans aren’t spoiled we all have seen a lot of bad football over the years in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

15 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

The OP’s rant is a pure “homer” post. It’s just another post by a Bills fan with blinders on. Yes, JA17 is an excellent player with the potential to be one of the best ever, but he’s not there yet. The truth is that there are a handful of other QBs in the league who also can perform “magic” just as well as JA17 can, and they have areas of their game that are better/stronger than JA. Go peruse their fan message boards and you will see the same type of posts about THEIR QBs, but you’ll probably tell me that they’re wrong, and Bills fans are correct, right? LOL  Mahomes, Hurts, and Herbert are just a few who immediately come to mind. A healthy Rodgers is another one.

I hope that JA17 does become one of the best ever, and does help to bring the Lombardi trophy to WNY. I’ve been a fan for 50+ years so I am just as desperate as ANYBODY to see the Bills win a SB. But I’m also a rational person, so that’s why I posted an eye roll. 😉

I can sort of appreciate the sentiment, but I've got to disagree that there are a handful of QBs in the league that compare to Josh at peak form.  There's only one guy that can do what Josh does, but consistently does it better, and that's Mahomes.  Yes, there's other dudes that do things really well from an accuracy, mental processing, arm strength, running standpoint, but no one (again, besides Mahomes) combines all of those traits like Allen when he's playing smart.  And getting back to the general intent of the OP, Allen and Mahomes are head and shoulders above every other QB for pure entertainment factor and pulling rabbits out of the hat type of plays. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

The OP’s rant is a pure “homer” post. It’s just another post by a Bills fan with blinders on. Yes, JA17 is an excellent player with the potential to be one of the best ever, but he’s not there yet. The truth is that there are a handful of other QBs in the league who also can perform “magic” just as well as JA17 can, and they have areas of their game that are better/stronger than JA. Go peruse their fan message boards and you will see the same type of posts about THEIR QBs, but you’ll probably tell me that they’re wrong, and Bills fans are correct, right? LOL  Mahomes, Hurts, and Herbert are just a few who immediately come to mind. A healthy Rodgers is another one.

I hope that JA17 does become one of the best ever, and does help to bring the Lombardi trophy to WNY. I’ve been a fan for 50+ years so I am just as desperate as ANYBODY to see the Bills win a SB. But I’m also a rational person, so that’s why I posted an eye roll. 😉

50 years?? 
Whippersnapper!🙄

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

And this is where I always get upset (throw in Lamar Jackson too).  These three have offenses in place that do a much better job of playing top their strengths, which I still am not sure the Bills do.  Rushing for Hurts & Jackson and Passing the ball with Herbert.

As others have pointed out only Mahomes is close to Allen, however has the better offensive game plan. 

59 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Who’s to say we don’t find our next franchise guy after Josh? Packers had Favre then Rodgers, then 49ers had Montana then Young. 

Re the Bills post-Josh Allen, who is to say we don't find another all-time great QB?

However, it's not only his excellence on the field... the thing that makes Josh a unicorn is his playing style, his character, and the way he passes every litmus test.

As a player he's like a super-sized Brett Favre. Fearless and courageous yet fun-loving. Athletic and cerebral.

As a person he seems too good to be true. Guys want to be him and girls want to be with him.

Because of these things I think there's a connection many of us feel towards Josh that we likely won't feel towards our next great QB.

• Agree 1

On 10/4/2023 at 1:23 PM, Albany,n.y. said:

In the winter of 2018 I was too sick to really follow the draft closely, so I had no opinion whether Allen was the answer or not.  I remember getting upset when the Jets traded up to 3, figuring the Bills would be aced out by the Jets for the QB we so desperately needed.  The good thing was, by camp I was better & immediately jumped on the Josh Allen bandwagon after hearing the players like Shady raving about him.  It's been a great ride with Josh and considering what we've had to put up with since we traded Lamonica to the Raiders, with the exception of the Ferguson & Kelly years with the brief hope Flutie brought & the very brief hope Bledsoe brought, well deserved for all us fans.

I had no inkling whether he was right Josh or wrong Josh until that throw in the 4th quarter of the first preseason game against the Panthers in 2018. Deep over to Ray Ray iirc, puts the ball past the zone LB's earhole and sticks it right on him. "Whoa. That throw didn't look normal. That shouldn't have gotten there that fast, that was actually well-defended." That was the first true "Allen" throw. Then he escapes a sure sack with power and scrambles with speed to convert 3rd-and-11. Then the first TD throw to Ray Ray through a football-sized-plus-1-inch window, the pocket-presence in the Streater TD vs Cleveland and all the slants and out patterns that the CB has no chance to even react to.

At this point we were beginning to understand, this is a unicorn right here. A CRISPR-edited, lab-grown, bio-engineered prototype quarterback unit.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

There always are some people here who have to bang the drum about running.  Yes having a running game is nice but it is all about the QB play 90% of the time. Sorry name me all of them Mahomes wonderful running backs.  New England won their Super Bowls on the back of Brady not some running back.  Marino simply just never had the best team however he was the best quarterback. And don't forget a few of those years were against the Buffalo Bills.

Also a defense that gets the ball back to the offense doesn't hurt.🤣

Off the top of my head, Edwards-Helaire and Pacheco come to mind.  Pacheco is averaging 4.9 yards per carry in 2023 and is on a pace to gain 1,000 yards this season. I did have to look up to learn McKinnon.  KC ranks seventh in the league in rushing yards so far this season.   I'm not saying teams need to maintain even close to a 50/50 balance.  I am saying that teams need to have a legitimate ability to run successfully in order to enhance and maintain an effective passing game.  Kansas City does.   So did New England during the Brady era.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, I am leaving for good said:
  • Todd Collins
  • Alex Van Pelt
  • Rob Johnson
  • JP Losman
  • Kelly Holcomb
  • Trent Edwards
  • Jeff Tuel
  • Thad Lewis
  • Kyle Orton
  • EJ Manuel
  • Tyrod Taylor
  • Nathan Peterman

Kyle, Thad, Nat, Tuel

I must have been inane to pay good money to watch that as “entertainment”. 
wow. Hurts just thinking about Browns 6, Bills 3. Ouch ouch ouch. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Josh is a complete freak at QB. There is no QB that is more physically talented than Josh and Josh also plays at a high level utilizing his tools to be among the best productive QB's in the game. Josh may be the most talented athlete at QB to ever play the game (I would say Cam Newton is in the conversation but Newton never put it together as a passer on the pro-level consistently.) 

He’s not the most exciting and talented qb today, he’s the most exciting and talented qb ever. It’s also more widely acknowledged than you would think already, even among pundits.

If we stay healthy we could potentially blow people out in the playoffs, were that good. If he can get a SB this year he will be elevated by all (obviously).

8 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And this is where I always get upset (throw in Lamar Jackson too).  These three have offenses in place that do a much better job of playing top their strengths, which I still am not sure the Bills do.  Rushing for Hurts & Jackson and Passing the ball with Herbert.

As others have pointed out only Mahomes is close to Allen, however has the better offensive game plan. 

Maybe you should use a past sentence for that? Dorsey, this year, has AT LAST been the OC we wanted for so long.  Last 3 games, Josh's stats are off the charts... yet he didn't have to play hero ball. He certainly did amazing stuff when needed, but otherwise the gameplan allowed to let many other players do their parts and shine,  and that includes the OL. Dorsey did as good as Reid, McDaniels or anyone so far in 2023.

Plus, McD has been doing an awesome job as DC.  It's the first time in decades I'm so thrilled with the coaches as it comes to gameplans and designs - they had other parts down but not this one. They do now. So far anyway.

Josh barely got hit too. He's finding ways to have fun and be creative even if the load is off his shoulders compared to these past years. They have the right balance for sure as of now. And as Romo hinted, they also have a style that will still work come the bad windy and cold weather months.

8 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

Maybe you should use a past sentence for that? Dorsey, this year, has AT LAST been the OC we wanted for so long.  Last 3 games, Josh's stats are off the charts... yet he didn't have to play hero ball. He certainly did amazing stuff when needed, but otherwise the gameplan allowed to let many other players do their parts and shine,  and that includes the OL. Dorsey did as good as Reid, McDaniels or anyone so far in 2023.

Plus, McD has been doing an awesome job as DC.  It's the first time in decades I'm so thrilled with the coaches as it comes to gameplans and designs - they had other parts down but not this one. They do now. So far anyway.

Josh barely got hit too. He's finding ways to have fun and be creative even if the load is off his shoulders compared to these past years. They have the right balance for sure as of now. And as Romo hinted, they also have a style that will still work come the bad windy and cold weather months.

Again 3 games where everything went right and the defense got all the breaks and bounces (except one deflected Tua pass).

Happy with what I've seen, but still see more can be done.

17 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Do they really though? A big part of the “Mahomes magic” is how often he goes off script and makes plays when the play breaks down. Also, didn’t Baltimore bring in a new OC this year even though for years people said Roman had tailored the offense to fit Jackson perfectly? 

I could make similar statements about Hurts and Herbert-the point I want to make is we also have a tendency to look at highlights of these guys and take them as bible, that’s how these guys always play. Then we also look at Josh and because we watch every snap, every play, we over analyze it and say “if only they did this as an offense.” The reality is those other offenses aren’t as tailored to those guys as much as the highlights suggest and the offense built around Josh isn’t nearly as dysfunctional as some here believe it is

35 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Do they really though? A big part of the “Mahomes magic” is how often he goes off script and makes plays when the play breaks down. Also, didn’t Baltimore bring in a new OC this year even though for years people said Roman had tailored the offense to fit Jackson perfectly? 

I could make similar statements about Hurts and Herbert-the point I want to make is we also have a tendency to look at highlights of these guys and take them as bible, that’s how these guys always play. Then we also look at Josh and because we watch every snap, every play, we over analyze it and say “if only they did this as an offense.” The reality is those other offenses aren’t as tailored to those guys as much as the highlights suggest and the offense built around Josh isn’t nearly as dysfunctional as some here believe it is

I never said it was dysfunctional, just disjointed at times as if they aren't sure what they want to do (in my eyes).  

Baltimore has brought in more and m ore receivers and Jackson is still Jackson, but hopefully more weapons and his "escapability" will result in better results.  Remember too he did win an MVP.  Herbert throws the ball a lot more then Allen and the Bills and that is his strength. 

Mahomes too passed the ball a lot more last year (coinciding with Dorsey's first year).

The last 3 games have been blowouts (took a while vs. Washington) and only one 300 yard passing game.

What I'm saying is there still is a lot more that Josh is capable of imo.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.