Poyer OUT Sunday

Big Blitz

3 hours ago, ALLinALLEN said:

Can you name me 1 better S that could come in cheap, knows our system?

Poyer is out 1 game with a knee contusion. Let's pump the brakes on Jaquan Johnson.

I trust Beane would place more significance that Johnson is unsigned over the fact he'd be cheap and knows our system.

• Like (+1) 1

Poyer and Hyde are going to go down as two of all my all-time favorite Bills players.  Two guys who were each undervalued assets, signed at approximately the same time, at the very beginning of the rebuild, who ended up being plug-and-play cornerstones in the secondary.  Plus they both just seem like good dudes.  

I know their time in the defensive backfield is drawing to a close.  Just glad they were able to build careers here.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Rapp better be dialled in. At least he is a more natural replacement for Poyer. 

I do think it is a chance to bring Elam up. Have Lewis as your backup safety.

The one drawback with Rapp is his slower than average speed.  Given Miami's overall speed on offense, Rapp would have a very small margin for error.  If he makes even a little mistake, the receiver is probably making a big play.

44 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

The one drawback with Rapp is his slower than average speed.  Given Miami's overall speed on offense, Rapp would have a very small margin for error.  If he makes even a little mistake, the receiver is probably making a big play.

In fairness, Poyer has looked like he’s running through quicksand at times this season. I don’t think the drop off in speed will be noticeable (ie, Tyreek would blow past either of them if we don’t bump him - or tackle him - off the line).

This game will be won/lost by the Dline and LBs and how much pressure they can get on Tua. There will be at least one or two huge pass plays by Miami; that can’t be stopped completely. But a few shots to Tua could really get in his (mushy) head. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Rapp seems to lack football IQ. Give me Hamlin.

Based upon ?
But i think Bills might mix it up back there.

This is a game where LB speed is going to help. Even if playing under coverages.

One thing is for sure, This is going to be a helluva game for fans. And to watch the coaches battle it out.

sorry, but i gotta respect mike McDaniel and what he has has done with that team

McD offense Vs our McDs defense lol

Go Bills

4 hours ago, DapperCam said:

Rapp will get the starting spot, with Hamlin promoted to the active roster would be my guess.

Elam perhaps over Hamlin ? Or both

Edited by 3rdand12

3 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Not for nothing, but we were without Tre, Poyer and Hyde the first time we played Miami last year and held them to 21 points and lost because lil dirty didn't go out of bounds.

it was worse than that. Those three didn’t play but we were also without Dane Jackson who was CB1 at that point of the season, Ed Oliver, and Mitch Morse. We did have Von at that point tho.

3 minutes ago, LEBills said:

it was worse than that. Those three didn’t play but we were also without Dane Jackson who was CB1 at that point of the season, Ed Oliver, and Mitch Morse. We did have Von at that point tho.

I forgot about that hit on Jackson that Edmunds delivered to him against the Titans.

2 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Why?  Benford has looked very good, so far.  On top of that, Benford has played how many safety snaps in camp/leading up to this point?

Take our 2nd best corner, and make him our 5th best safety (maybe), and insert our 4th best boundary corner....yeah, this isn't Madden...

If the goal is to get more speed on the field, then Cam Lewis at safety makes more sense (over Rapp).  And going more dime with Neal, 3-man fronts on obvious passing downs.

I could see both of above happening, at points in the game on Sunday.

for two reasons

Elam has more speed and press at corner and Benford has been mentioned as playing safety

Could create some fine mismateches 

Give a 3 CB look and rotate Benford back or slide him outside.

But your thoughts are just as , if not more valid.

3 man front and speedy LBs. Just tying into my previous post

Have we ever run a true 3 man front ? And would that work ?

45 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Based upon ?
But i think Bills might mix it up back there.

This is a game where LB speed is going to help. Even if playing under coverages.

One thing is for sure, This is going to be a helluva game for fans. And to watch the coaches battle it out.

sorry, but i gotta respect mike McDaniel and what he has has done with that team

McD offense Vs our McDs defense lol

Go Bills

Elam perhaps over Hamlin ? Or both

Speed will help but must play under control and take good angles. We can’t let 10 yard runs and 20 yard catches turn into 50 yard runs and 70 yard catches.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Rapp better be dialled in. At least he is a more natural replacement for Poyer. 

I do think it is a chance to bring Elam up. Have Lewis as your backup safety.

I can be surprised at what the Bills do.  I think they will make Hamlin active.

I would like to see them make Elam active as well, but whaddo I know.

49 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

for two reasons

Elam has more speed and press at corner and Benford has been mentioned as playing safety

Could create some fine mismateches 

Give a 3 CB look and rotate Benford back or slide him outside.

But your thoughts are just as , if not more valid.

3 man front and speedy LBs. Just tying into my previous post

Have we ever run a true 3 man front ? And would that work ?

Benford was mentioned as a possibility to move to safety long ago, before we signed Rapp, before Damar Hamlin came back, before Cam Lewis was given a chance to develop as a "one man gang" at CB, nickel, and safety.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Logic said:

The "Poyer is washed" thing is a bit overblown. 

Athletically washed or not, the benefit of Poyer and Hyde together is that they're a hive mind. It's a genuine shock when one of them blows a coverage, that's how in sync they've been since they got here. I have no clue how well Rapp and Hyde are going to sync up. The defense on Sunday more than ever is going to rely on everybody being on the same page so they can quick trigger to their spot. I worry that Rapp will be off his spot a few times. Let's hope he is ready.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

He has looked markedly slower lately, against the incredible speed of the Dolphins may be a good time to rest him.

That’s my fear in this game.  Last season the Bills held them reasonably in check but you know there will be at least one long Dolphins TD.   Lack of speed on defense is an obvious weakness.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Athletically washed or not, the benefit of Poyer and Hyde together is that they're a hive mind. It's a genuine shock when one of them blows a coverage, that's how in sync they've been since they got here. I have no clue how well Rapp and Hyde are going to sync up. The defense on Sunday more than ever is going to rely on everybody being on the same page so they can quick trigger to their spot. I worry that Rapp will be off his spot a few times. Let's hope he is ready.

Exactly this. 

No team can keep up with the speed the Dolphins have. The key to beat them is to out scheme them and the key to that is communication. Knowing that every other guy back there has their assignment, will be where they are supposed to be and what the assignment actually is on the fly. Hyde and Poyer have that together. Hyde and Rapp or Hamlin or Lewis likely do not. That takes 1000s of reps together. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, ALLinALLEN said:

Anyone know if Jaelan Phillips is out for MIA? DNP all week. Also, Armstead?

He’s out….

I’m guessing Rapp and Lewis will split reps back there… Rapp more run support and Lewis for passing downs….I highly doubt Elam will be active this week… He must be really stinking up the joint or really pissed somebody off one of the two….

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.