Memo to Beane, Dorsey - What the Bills need to do to perfect the offense. (With Poll)

Chaos

What do the Bills need to do to perfect the Offense?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. What do the Bills need to do to perfect the Offense?

• Get Spencer Brown Fixed
    • Upgrade WR2 to someone better than Gabe Davis
    • Improve redzone play calling
    • Something else (see comments)
    • Bad Poll, the offense is perfect.

To : Beane, Dorsey

All is well in Buffalo.  Team is on a roll, and I expect them to be solid winners over the Dolphins on Sunday. 

Everything is relative however and the the offense is not yet perfect.   Here is our collective polled wisdom on what your priority needs to be to perfect the offense. 

Please execute on this advice by the time we get back from London. Thank you. 

Inspired by this thread. Just added to collect the polling data. https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/249644-the-bills-biggest-problem-on-offense-remains-unchanged/

Edited by Chaos

Use play action more. Use more pre-snap movement.

3 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Combo of things. The more fixable things would related to scheme, play-calling, personnel usage, etc. The would be nice ones are replacing Brown, adding a better #2 WR. 

What about the scheme would you fix? What play calling? What personnel changes would you make? Just curious.

• Like (+1) 1

all of the above, so I chose other.  Otherwise, I'd go with Brown.  Fixing the OL will enable TEs to run routes, providing additional dimensions to the offense.  

49 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

I think a team that runs 12p as it’s base offense should figure out how to actually get some meaningful production from their TEs. Knox and Kincaid are on pace for less than 700 yards COMBINED. It’s pathetic.

have to help Brown.  I also would like to seem them more involved.  

• Like (+1) 1

Fire Dorsey. The offense is so predictable it's a joke. The other team knows Gabe Davis runs 2 routes, they know Harty is running a reverse, they are now learning Kincaid only catches 3 yard passes. That stupid draw play to Cook where Josh runs to the side to hand him the ball is like wtf. If I'm a LB as soon as he does that I'm crashing on the RB because they never fake it out of that look.

I dream of having a good OC but it might be too late. Josh already has his bad habits and they are of the mindset that they will take the good with the bad so let's have an OC that let's him play outside of structure and do whatever he wants. The top OC's would never give up that kind of control.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

I'd start by saying the offense is improving and still very good overall, imo. I wish they'd focus on using their first round weapon they traded up for more as the season goes on. I'd really like to see them focusing on more plays where Kincaid is Josh's first read rather than second or third. All these plays drawn up for Harty could be chances to get the ball in the hands of someone I believe has already shown much more receiving playmaking ability.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, MJS said:

Use play action more. Use more pre-snap movement.

What about the scheme would you fix? What play calling? What personnel changes would you make? Just curious.

I definitely would go under center more and run play action. Even start under center and then send the back in motion and have Josh drop back to the shotgun. Just mix it up more and become less predictable. Guys in motion and mixing up the formations.

I would love to see more slants and crosses (with Josh rolling out). Add in combo/pick routes to get the ball out quick. I am not a fan of so many of our plays being long intricate routes or long stop routes. The screens or swing routes need to drop way down the list. I also want to see them spread the field more, both pre snap and in the routes. The Bills have so many routes with multiple guys in the same areas - I dont get it. Also routes with only one option should get pushed way down the list. 

I think they can have Cook and Murray in the backfield at the same time. Add in some Cook and Kincaid in the backfield. They need another threat behind Diggs. I dont think teams are scared of anyone else out there. So I would spread the field more have Diggs moving around to help get him open use more Sherfield/Knox/Kincaid in the seam with Diggs running the slant. Switch that up with Diggs running the out behind the guy running seam or post/corner. Not sure what to do with Harty, maybe he can be effective vs man running cross routes or going deep. The short stuff to him is pointless. Well thats a ramble. 

• Agree 2

Imo, better use of existing personnel / play calling is the key going forward, not that a better WR2 or RT would hurt, but at this point in the season, who’s available to upgrade those spots…, 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

The Dolphins have perfected an offense while having a vulnerable QB and a weakish OL.   The Bills should be studying Mike McDaniel because he is giving a master class on building an offense that centers around the strengths of it's talent while at the same time covering their weaknesses.   Bad OL?  Just get rid of the ball in under 2.5 seconds.   Intelligent QB with limited arm strength?   Run mostly short to mid range timing routes across the middle.  

I suspect the Bills will gameplan against the dolphins to try and consume clock and keep their offense off the field.  While that is good to a degree, it kinda just goes back to playing not to lose instead of playing to our strengths and making the other team adapt to us.   We are capable, we witnessed it in the playoffs of 2021 and early 2022.   We have two really good tight ends but we seem content on keeping them near the line of scrimmage just to help block instead of using them as weapons.   

Edited by Lost
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Lost said:

The Dolphins have perfected an offense while having a vulnerable QB and a weakish OL.   The Bills should be studying Mike McDaniel because he is giving a master class on building an offense that centers around the strengths of it's talent while at the same time covering their weaknesses.   Bad OL?  Just get rid of the ball in under 2.5 seconds.   Intelligent QB with limited arm strength?   Run mostly short to mid range timing routes across the middle.  

Do the Bills have 4 of the fastest players in the NFL right now on offense, because that is the sole reason for their success. Don't have to block anyone when your WR's are immediately open because they can separate. Dont need to have a QB with a cannon arm when the throwing windows are huge.

As much as Belichick gets hate, his gameplan is correct. The Dolphins love to throw the ball between the hashes at all levels. Clog the middle of the field and make Tua throw the 12 yard curls, the 9 routes with consistency. 

• Like (+1) 3

I went with other, I would like to see more importance to the run game. They’ve done it the last couple but it still seems like it’s an after thought.  I just think they’re built as a solid run team right now, solid defense, and the ability to shoot it out if they have to. 
Imo the pieces are here, they’ve had enough pieces for 2-3 years. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.