Terrel Bernard named AFC Defensive Player of the Week

Big Turk

1 minute ago, JayBaller10 said:

Do you think those differences lend credence to why Bernard has made more impact plays? Or is it the players themselves?

Partly, yes. They are two completely different players. For as athletic as everyone touts Edmunds to be - he wasn't very twitchy and couldn't play man coverage. He was big and fast running in a straight line and they used him that way. He was essentially a MoF Safety when we played 2 and played everything underneath top/down. Bernard is more in line with Milano as far as twitch and bend - being able to get around blocks without having to engage and still being able to re-stack the gap - and being able to play man coverage or man principles in zone match coverages. Its comparing apples to oranges really.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

I mean they are being used differently. We played a way more 2 under Frazier where Edmunds was a true zone Tampa 2 dropper. This year under McDermott we're primarily playing 1 and 3 with a little 6 rolled in and we're pattern matching more than we ever have in the past (playing more man principles out of our zone coverages).

This is what surprises me - Bills are playing more man principles but the Elam still not getting more snaps.  I guess they are mixing man with zone and trading off with this concept hard for him to get ingrained into his instincts.  That and his habit of not keeping his hands to himself.

3 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

Partly, yes. They are two completely different players. For as athletic as everyone touts Edmunds to be - he wasn't very twitchy and couldn't play man coverage. He was big and fast running in a straight line and they used him that way. He was essentially a MoF Safety when we played 2 and played everything underneath top/down. Bernard is more in line with Milano as far as twitch and bend - being able to get around blocks without having to engage and still being able to re-stack the gap - and being able to play man coverage or man principles in zone match coverages. Its comparing apples to oranges really.

All great points. I just can’t get on board with the sentiment that Bernard has these stats and Edmunds didn’t simply because Edmunds wasn’t being used in the same way Bernard is being used. That would imply Edmunds was misused and that the Bills defensive scheme was at fault for his lack of big time plays, not the player himself. How many times have we said “almost” about a play Tremaine could have made but didn’t? 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

This is what surprises me - Bills are playing more man principles but the Elam still not getting more snaps.  I guess they are mixing man with zone and trading off with this concept hard for him to get ingrained into his instincts.  That and his habit of not keeping his hands to himself.

Elam is a boundary corner who doesn't play special teams - our current boundary corner? Tre White. I think it's more a numbers deal than anything else at this point.

Most draft experts, and most on this board(myself included) thought he projected as a 5th round pick and that the Bills drafted him too high.

Obviously, the Bills saw something in him, and took him in the third to make sure they got him.

They are looking pretty smart right now.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

43 minutes ago, GustheDog33 said:

Peter King in his column had Myles Garrett as his defensive standout and didn't even mention the Bills in general or Bernard Specifically.  Obviously, not a fan of the Bills, but he didn't even mention the game Bernard or the Bills D in general.

I’ve always enjoyed PK, but he’s outlived his usefulness. He’s now a senile old goat..

Edited by Chandler#81

Just now, JayBaller10 said:

All great points. I just can’t get on board with the sentiment that Bernard has these stats and Edmunds didn’t simply because Edmunds wasn’t being used in the same way Bernard is being used. That would imply Edmunds was misused and that the Bills defensive scheme was at fault for his lack of big time plays, not the player himself. How many times have we said “almost” about a play Tremaine could have made but didn’t? 

I don't think it implies Edmunds was misused. The two players are not the same. They each have different skill sets. Neither would have much success in the others roles because they lack the ability to be great at that specific scheme. If anything I think it speaks volumes of our defensive scheme and coaching staff to recognize what their players can and can't do well and put them in positions to be successful.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

28 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

One thing about mcd and Beane, they are very good at taking later round defensive players and turning them into solid or very good contributors (all pro in Milanos case).

I say from now on draft offense rounds 1-4 and defense after 

He was a 3rd round draft pick...

• Haha (+1) 1

Wow. So well deserved. 3rd start!! And he missed the latter half of TC. 

His instincts are incredible,  night and day from Edmunds, who would hesitate a bit , Burn yard is decisive and explosive,  trusts what he sees and attacks. 

Phenomenal job by the staff coaching him up. I knew after Kyle Brandt had that epic speech announcing his pick that he'd be a stud. 

We might have 2 All Pro LBs

• Like (+1) 1

His communication looks to be a vast improvement to Edmunds.  He makes Milano and Taron play in sync with him.   That allows Bernard to attack more, and we are seeing the benefits.  Edmunds was always a bit of a reactionary player, and even in listening to mic'd up sessions with him, I never heard him communicate.  A quiet leader, which I dont think allowed the defense to play to the absolute best of their abilities.

• Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

I don't think it implies Edmunds was misused. The two players are not the same. They each have different skill sets. Neither would have much success in the others roles because they lack the ability to be great at that specific scheme. If anything I think it speaks volumes of our defensive scheme and coaching staff to recognize what their players can and can't do well and put them in positions to be successful.

12 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

The Bills had pretty much a top 5 defense during Edmunds tenure. So its hard to say he was misused, just differently. Why would the Bills feel the need to change that if it was working? Now with a change to Bernard they are adjusting to what will make the D most successful, which has been much more blitzing Bernard and putting Bernard in better position for these types of plays. 

Also people have such short term memories. Last season first three games vs this season were much tougher yet the D possibly played even better...just look at the QB's last year vs this year. 

LAR - 10 points and 240 yards with 7 sacks and 3 turnovers to Stafford

TEN - 7 points and 187 yards with 2 sacks and 4 turnovers to Tannehill 

MIA - 21 points and 212 yards with 2 sacks and 0 turnovers to Tua

NYJ - 22 points and 289 yards with 3 sacks and 1 turnover to Zach Wilson

LAV - 10 points and 240 yards with 0 sacks and 3 turnovers to Jimmy G

WAS - 3 points and 230 yards with 9 sacks and 5 turnovers to Sam Howell

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.