Bills not trying to force offense to be a zone run scheme this year, sticking with mostly gap scheme

Big Turk

8 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

how has 3/4 of a thread about something important(for a change, unlike 80% of the nonsense threads started here) turned into a f'ing Bill Murray and colored drink thread??  Can we please stay on topic here to at least some degree?

We cant control the lives our threads choose to live. All we can do is give them a good start and let them journey out into the world on their own.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You're the reason why I drink.

Wait.  We need a reason?  Why did no one tell me we need a reason?

21 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Something interesting to note...unlike at the start of the previous 2 years, the Bills have not started out trying to force predominantly zone schemes on the run game and then gave up half way thru the year both times and went mostly gap scheme when they realized it wasn't working well.

This year, they have stuck with being predominantly a gap scheme rushing attack and mixed some zone runs in. 

Something to keep an eye on with the run game and it's success.

Not questioning your observation at all, but wondering if there's a source of data on this somewhere?  Article breaking it down?

3 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

This was discussed on locked on bills earlier his week. Good breakdown on there. 

Is that the daily hour long podcast?  Any idea when? I'd love to see a detailed breakdown but Man that's A Lot.

Edited by Beck Water

I was blissfully unaware of the difference until Sal C. explained it with a helpful video when we switched from Kromer to Castillo. I still don't quite understand it all, but after that mess that was Castillo's line, I will never not hate the zone scheme.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

yeah, I am a SUNY Amherst grad. I'm not allowed to discuss the school or football team here or I will get banned. But I am a grad and I think I can say that without getting the boot :) 

I don’t think you complain enough about getting banned.  You should probably take a stand.  File a lawsuit.  Your constitutional rights are obviously being violated.  

• Haha (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

how has 3/4 of a thread about something important(for a change, unlike 80% of the nonsense threads started here) turned into a f'ing Bill Murray and colored drink thread??  Can we please stay on topic here to at least some degree?

I wonder if I'm at blame here?  I mean I did bring up both colored drinks and f'ing Bill Murray.  

I blame Edmunds.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Not questioning your observation at all, but wondering if there's a source of data on this somewhere?  Article breaking it down?

There was a Cover 1 podcast that I was listening to while walking the other day...can't find it now that I have searched for it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I'm blame McDermott's clapping.

I don't mind the clap.

1 hour ago, BigAl2526 said:

The rookie guard, Torrence certainly seems as if he's a far better fit for a gap scheme in the run game.  Bates, who went to backup center was more of a zone guy.

Does it matter as much for center?  I'm expecting this to be Morse's last year with the Bills.  I think the belief is Bates fills in next year.

But @Ralonzofeels Alec Anderson might the one being groomed.  I also believe Joe Marino has said it as well.

On 9/21/2023 at 1:00 PM, AuntieEm said:

and big  bill Murray  film was groundhog day so means we can expecta repeat 8f last week's gameolan on and on and our opponents won't be able to wake up and change it.   So we are seeing the Bills recipe for a 16-1 regular season and in playoffs when a top opponent comes up with the plan to shut it down viola instead of getting home blitzing Allen we see him bombard their empty backfield and his biggest reads will be which wide open receiver to throw it to. And we won't be playing wrs that got beat up throughout year as the rbs will have taken alot of pressure and just the hits off the wrs and tes.  

It will be on Sunday when u toast every play the Bills run as they are gonna be groundhogs in the old hogs old stomping grounds.  Fitting to have such a game to cleanse the 80s  skins SB loss when they fielded the more talented team. 

You riff off on some crazy-ass stream-of-consciousness stuff... seems very un-Air Force-like.

Also let me know if you need to buy some punctuation marks... I can get you a really good price!

🙃

On 9/21/2023 at 1:47 PM, Matt_In_NH said:

Do you guys drink together cause he is smashed!

On 9/21/2023 at 1:49 PM, NewEra said:

I’m just trying to be your friend!

This is just like high school... never got an invitation.

On 9/22/2023 at 8:09 AM, Big Turk said:

23 hours ago, SUNY_amherst said:

yeah thanks "dude." you are only the 30th poster to mention it

Looks like reading comprehension isn't your only deficiency... just piling on in good fun... awesome you being such a good sport.

Were you a philosophy major?

On 9/22/2023 at 9:22 AM, Beck Water said:

Is that the daily hour long podcast?  Any idea when? I'd love to see a detailed breakdown but Man that's A Lot.

I just started listening to podcasts especially Locked on Bills two weeks ago. It's between 30 and 45 minutes. One day power week is a question and answer session. Sorry, not sure which day. But one of the days after the Vegas game I think it may have been the first question was to explain the difference between gap and zone blocking. I think the day before is his all 22 review where he said the bills seem to have stopped trying to force the zone blocking scheme. Worth a listen if you want to understand it better.

Very interesting listening to these podcasts and how the different ones say complete opposites. Not on blocking, but other things. Joe Marino from locked on Bills said Bernard played pretty decent against the Jets, Buffalo rumblings said he was awful. Marino said they schemed to give Brown lots of help against Crosby and when they didn't he was taken to town. Sal said they didn't give Brown help. I don't watch those things closely enough to judge who is right, but overall Joe Marino seems to know his shxx so I tend to believe him more.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/22/2023 at 12:22 PM, Beck Water said:

It's only about a half hour. Even less if you're quick with the 15 second skip button. I automatically skip the first 2 minutes of intro / ads every episode. The episodes are also generally the same structure during the week. So if you want to hear instant reaction you listen to the next day's episode. If you want game film analysis, you listen to the next day. Then usually mailbag questions the day after that. Then crossover episode with the next opponent's host. Then injury update and predictions. 

I highly recommend it, but if you only have time for one or two a week you can pick the ones that are most interesting to you.

Edit: I should note that I usually listen to the episodes the morning after they're posted but he actually posts them in the evening. So the instant reaction episode will be posted the same evening if the game is during the day, etc.

Edited by MPT
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.