AJ Klein signed to Practice Squad

Motorin'

1 minute ago, Irv said:

That's it.  Season's over.  

That's right.  Give the Bills the Lombardi right now!

Klien on the PS is not a bad thing at all.  I know that a lot of fans have "completely" written off Dodson and Spector but I'm still

holding out some hope that one of these young guys can become a decent depth ILB.

If Williams can evolve as a complete LB (both outside and inside if necessary) and Bernard can work the system that I think McDermott 

wants him to play, all of a sudden, the LBs turn from a weakness to a strength.  I keep saying that Beane and McDermott seem to

purposely want these smaller, quicker LBs for a reason.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

All right everyone, Cantankerous has his two fingers up in the gladiator submission gesture. Let's let him live to post another day 🙂

Okay, but just this once…

😁👍

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Big Turk said:

"Hi...my name is AJ.  

I live on the 2nd floor...

I live upstairs from you...

Yes, I think I've seen you before..."

Suzanne Vega lyrics about a kid named Luka.  Wish "Luke-a" Kuechly was signed to the practice squad.  Unfortunately the song is a sad story of an abused child.

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Klien on the PS is not a bad thing at all.  I know that a lot of fans have "completely" written off Dodson and Spector but I'm still

holding out some hope that one of these young guys can become a decent depth ILB.

If Williams can evolve as a complete LB (both outside and inside if necessary) and Bernard can work the system that I think McDermott 

wants him to play, all of a sudden, the LBs turn from a weakness to a strength.  I keep saying that Beane and McDermott seem to

If Williams gets tried at MLB, it won't be this season. McDermott isn't going to put a Rookie out there on the fly that's been exclusively playing another position all year. 

And Williams was put at OLB in large part because outside of Matt Milano, we have absolutely no one who can play the position - if he were to get hurt and when he needs a breather.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Klein back in the building is a very good thing actually. Especially McDermott's vision , he knows how the game is played and can teach. Also can actually play in a pinch with some tweaks to coverage schemes.

But having him on PS is really rather excellent.

I appreciate your attitude about Lombardi !
Also about what McBeanes want from the LB position.

Go Bills

2 hours ago, Captain Caveman said:

How long before the Bears trade us Edmunds for a 4th (and they retain 50% of his salary)

well he would have to switch to OLB  LOL

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Klein back in the building is a very good thing actually. Especially McDermott's vision , he knows how the game is played and can teach. Also can actually play in a pinch with some tweaks to coverage schemes.

But having him on PS is really rather excellent.

I look at him like David Webb - his primary job is different than playing but if needed he can step in and perform.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Klein was paid millions before. Now, he will paid PS rates? Isn't that how it works when you are on the PS, a fixed rate, same for all? It shows he is committed (and hope to get back as an active obviously)

Not the same for all.  Veterans get paid more than players with less experience.

2 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

But it is a predetermined (league wide) PS amount, correct?

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-practice-squad-salary-eligibility-rules-2023/vuvavtn3mbkq68spwkb5k8pz#:~:text=They are broken up into,rest of the current CBA.

NFL practice squad salaries

There are two separate brackets that the NFL uses to determine practice squad salaries.

They are broken up into players with two or fewer seasons in the NFL, and then those considered NFL veterans. 

Yes.  Teams used to be able to decide themselves but it was abused (i.e. one team paid player on PS as much as player would have gotten if on 53 list to keep him from leaving) so NFL standardized rates and added enhanced callups and protections.

Players who have accrued two or fewer NFL seasons are paid weekly at a fixed rate. The salary is set at $12,000 in 2023, but is going to increase each year throughout the rest of the current CBA. 

• 17 practice games x $12,000 = $204,000 plus playoff games

NFL veterans do not have a set salary rate. Instead, they hold the ability to negotiate the dollar amount on their deal, albeit it is not a large range for the salary.

The minimum weekly salary for a vet on the practice squad in 2023 is $16,100, while the maximum is $20,600. 

• 17 practice games x max $20,600 = $350,200 plus playoff games

Edited by Limeaid
added more info
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

NFL veterans do not have a set salary rate. Instead, they hold the ability to negotiate the dollar amount on their deal, albeit it is not a large range for the salary.

The minimum weekly salary for a vet on the practice squad in 2023 is $16,100, while the maximum is $20,600. 

This may explain CK’s retirement. A huge pay reduction, and it appears with a narrowing chance to get signed to the varsity squad, not worth the time at this stage of his career. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Limeaid said:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-practice-squad-salary-eligibility-rules-2023/vuvavtn3mbkq68spwkb5k8pz#:~:text=They are broken up into,rest of the current CBA.

NFL practice squad salaries

There are two separate brackets that the NFL uses to determine practice squad salaries.

They are broken up into players with two or fewer seasons in the NFL, and then those considered NFL veterans. 

Yes.  Teams used to be able to decide themselves but it was abused (i.e. one team paid player on PS as much as player would have gotten if on 53 list to keep him from leaving) so NFL standardized rates and added enhanced callups and protections.

Players who have accrued two or fewer NFL seasons are paid weekly at a fixed rate. The salary is set at $12,000 in 2023, but is going to increase each year throughout the rest of the current CBA. 

• 17 practice games x $12,000 = $204,000 plus playoff games

Not a bad gig really! Does he get to keep the uniform? (Does he get a uniform?)

On 9/21/2023 at 11:01 AM, cantankerous said:

Can’t Beane do better than AJ Klein? Smh. 

While Klein lacks in the athleticism department, he knows the scheme and understands exactly what he's supposed to do.  My guess is Dorian Williams is getting a crash course in the complex MLB position for the Bills, and when he can handle the basics of the position, Klein might become expendable.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

While Klein lacks in the athleticism department, he knows the scheme and understands exactly what he's supposed to do.  My guess is Dorian Williams is getting a crash course in the complex MLB position for the Bills, and when he can handle the basics of the position, Klein might become expendable.

Klein is not here just to teach for if that was case Kirksey would not have been signed. 

How could Kirksey give Dorian Williams a crash course?

20 hours ago, Limeaid said:

It would certainly be better for Edmunds needing to cover less space. 

He will be much more effective on a team with true 3-4 alignment.

yes.

I was partially mocking us here.
the continued suggestion he would be better at OLB than MLB.

But i certainly have moved on from him( Edmunds)

Go Bills

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.