OT: will that FG block by the Pats fundamentally change kicks?

Success

8 hours ago, Success said:

Honestly, a tip of the cap to the mighty hoodie.  That was something else, and as soon as it happened, it was like, how has no one else thought of this?  He should have kept it in his back pocket for a bigger game, imo.

I can see multiple variations of that kind of disruption. Obviously, teams will prep better for it now.  But in some ways, it seems like that move in "Karate Kid" for which there is no real defense.

Gotta wonder if we'll try a wrinkle or 2 in that respect, but at minimum, we need to prepare for it.

Thoughts?

It really was smart.

Easy to defend now that we've seen it, though. Get everyone down and in their stance seven or eight seconds early. When you see the guy run, just don't snap it till he either runs Offside, stops or runs behind the D line.

You can counter it that way without even moving personnel. But they can also just move someone to get in the way.

8 hours ago, pocoboy said:

It's another flashy thing that will many every pundit fawn over Belicheat's brilliance, while his success without Brady stands on its own legs.

He's brilliant. Let's admit it.

But the importance of the head coach just simply isn't as great as the importance of a great QB. An awful head coach can just kill a team. But a great one isn't all that much better than a very good one.

Look at Andy Reid pre-Mahomes vs. now.

We still should give credit where credit is due, though. Great idea by Belichick/ his ACs.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm wondering, if you draw this guy Offside, is it a free play like on offense?  So Sam Martin can just take the ball and throw it downfield?

That's a good thought. Yeah, free play.

8 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I mean... doesn't change much if the tackle sees him and blocks him.  

Nah, timed right and in regular punt formation, nobody is blocking that.

13 hours ago, arcane said:

First counter is to be unpredictable about the snap to either neutralize the guy completely or cause an offside penalty

Exactly and then get a first down to continue the drive. It was hyperbole on the telecast to expect it to change FGs forever, because it was a calculated risk catching the Dolphins off guard.  The play was incredibly timed and the Dolphins were likely doing something that made it a good idea to try. 

It’s always perplexed me why we don’t see more creativity. snow globe? Has to be fun and sometimes effective. It can also make the opponent think differently.

Bills should have Assts assigned task to “think out of the box but bend the rules”

IMG_9706.jpeg

Edited by Since1981

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Should’ve known Belichick cheated. It was a great play but he only knew when to go because he knew the holder’s timing.

It’ll be next to impossible to time it up otherwise. 

How is that cheating? That’s really good preparation on their part.

i actually think it’s going to be a little harder to defend than just holding the ball an extra second or so by the snapper. You don’t want to mess with the kicker’s timing or internal clock, that could definitely cause the kicker to miss 

8 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

How is that cheating? That’s really good preparation on their part.

i actually think it’s going to be a little harder to defend than just holding the ball an extra second or so by the snapper. You don’t want to mess with the kicker’s timing or internal clock, that could definitely cause the kicker to miss 

The holder takes a deep breath right before the snap. Belichick only knew because he coached him 6 years. Has nothing to do with the kicker or snapper. 

It’s cheating the Belichick way. Other teams might have tells also but not as easy to time as that. 

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The holder takes a deep breath right before the snap. Belichick only knew because he coached him 6 years. Has nothing to do with the kicker or snapper. 

It’s cheating the Belichick way. Other teams might have tells also but not as easy to time as that. 

Or it's snapped on a hand tap, like we do.  You might see fake taps, or a slight delay in the snap, moving forward to counter this.  And you'll probably see teams try to snap a little earlier on the play clock to avoid allowing an end to time the kick.  

2 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Or it's snapped on a hand tap, like we do.  You might see fake taps, or a slight delay in the snap, moving forward to counter this.  And you'll probably see teams try to snap a little earlier on the play clock to avoid allowing an end to time the kick.  

Yeah, it’ll be almost impossible to time up. Teams wouldn’t even try if it’s 5 yards or less for first. I don’t think it’ll change anything. Belichick had insider information and isn’t afraid to use it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the reason it is hard to replicate is you have to time it perfectly. Otherwise you risk being Offside and giving teams 5 yards and in many cases a 1st down. 

But it was a very impressive wrinkle. Bill is still an excellent coach. He just doesn't have a very good team GM. 

FIFY.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.