Allen Under Center

BuffaloBillyG

It's almost remarkable how much better the offense flowed once Allen went under center. Mixed with actually incorporating the RBs and using some play action this offense could be deadly. I think that had a huge hand in helping slow the Raider pass rush, ultimately making Josh feel more comfortable. Hopefully, they keep this philosophy up. Commanders next week have a good pass rush as well.

It was a little frustrating to see Dorsey move away from it when we would get in the red zone. My thought is down there they want to run the plays Josh is more comfortable with and if that's the case I get that thought. But that said, giant step forward for the offense. 

While there may have been a few times I didn't like a play called, for the second strait week I feel like Dorsey had a really solid gameplan.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

I thought the same thing, but i’m conflicted how much of that is due to him being under center and how much of it is due to playing a much easier defense.

Fair point. However, with more and more teams loading up to take away the deep ball getting the run game moving and using play action is paramount to getting the offense moving these days. That will go against "most" defenses that are selling out to stop Allen long. As long as they have to respect the run game it will help keep the defense honest IMO.

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

It's almost remarkable how much better the offense flowed once Allen went under center. Mixed with actually incorporating the RBs and using some play action this offense could be deadly. I think that had a huge hand in helping slow the Raider pass rush, ultimately making Josh feel more comfortable. Hopefully, they keep this philosophy up. Commanders next week have a good pass rush as well.

It was a little frustrating to see Dorsey move away from it when we would get in the red zone. My thought is down there they want to run the plays Josh is more comfortable with and if that's the case I get that thought. But that said, giant step forward for the offense. 

While there may have been a few times I didn't like a play called, for the second strait week I feel like Dorsey had a really solid gameplan.

Maybe Dorsey finally got his head out of his backside 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Bills have to mix it up and go under center a lot more. You can still mix it up but they seem much better suited to play that way. Teams can play the same D with the drop hand off and actually can spot Allen much better in the gun. Going under center forces the D to move up and react quicker which opens the play action. Plus build a bunch of tape playing under center so come playoffs teams need to game plan more. This gun offense has gotten way too predictable. 

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Maybe Dorsey finally got his head out of his backside 

Yes and no. He could not resist going back to the gun especially in the red zone. The td’s to Davis and Shakir could have both gone badly and this game looks different. Lots of work to do still to play vs a team better than the raiders. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I’d like to see the analytics of run percentages when Josh is under center and not under center….

example Bills run the ball 70% of the time Josh is under center, run the ball 30% of the time in shotgun.

Meaning think run under center, think pass (react to run) if in shotgun. Those odds would be good.

Anyone know the numbers???!

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Or, perhaps, McDermott finally took control and told Josh to start doing what Dorsey was telling him to do. 

@chaos - so you think Dorsey’s game plan has been to have Allen bail the pocket too early and hold onto the ball too long waiting for an ESPN highlight pass??  

That don’t seem right. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

I thought the same thing, but i’m conflicted how much of that is due to him being under center and how much of it is due to playing a much easier defense.

Even in NY Allen's splits were much better when under center. It's a thing, starting in shotgun gives him a wonky rhythm on the play sometimes

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Like I said all during the week that Jets defense is the best one we’re going to face all year

The Raiders are not even a bad team they’re just not an elite one

It’s too bad they have such a liability, at quarterback

Agree. They are a great defense, however it is a beatable defense. Allen showed in the first half last weekend. Dak continued that this week. Short surgical passing. Mix in the run game. Try something downfield if there's single coverage. 

The difference between Josh and Dal's games against the Jet defense is Josh went away from it later in the game and Dak stayed patient.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.