United Auto Workers On Strike

Tiberius

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I mean should someone really be paid $60,000 per year an hour to press to buttons, then move the fender to a conveyor belt 400 times a day? 

There is no "should" if you believe in total capitalism though. If they could find competent cheaper labor and just tell everyone who's on a strike they're out, then they would. Its simple supply and demand. 

Its the same stupid argument where people were mad at the deal that UPS workers got. You can't prop up capitalism and then be angry when it goes against you. 

It was the same thing on the other side of the spectrum I was saying about the Conservatives who loved Oliver Anthony's song. How is there a such thing as "bull#### pay" if you believe in capitalism? Capitalism says he should shut his mouth and develop skills that people will pay more for. 

On both side of the spectrum, there is no "should". Capitalism ultimately lets the market dictate your worth. If the auto industry decides they can find cheaper labor then the UAW will lose. If the auto industry caves, it means the UAW was worth more. It's that simple if you believe in true Capitalism. 

Edited by HomeskillitMoorman
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

There is no "should" if you believe in total capitalism though. If they could find competent cheaper labor and just tell everyone who's on a strike they're out, then they would. Its simple supply and demand. 

Its the same stupid argument where people were mad at the deal that UPS workers got. You can't prop up capitalism and then be angry when it goes against you. 

It was the same thing on the other side of the spectrum I was saying about the Conservatives who loved Oliver Anthony's song. How is there a such thing as "bull#### pay" if you believe in capitalism? Capitalism says he should shut his mouth and develop skills that people will pay more for. 

On both side of the spectrum, there is no "should". Capitalism ultimately lets the market dictate your worth. If the auto industry decides they can find cheaper labor then the UAW will lose. If the auto industry caves, it means the UAW was worth more. It's that simple if you believe in true Capitalism. 

yes, 29 is not real bright...

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

What about Union protections and labor laws support this ‘true capitalism’ concept you are referring to?

Irrespective of your stance on this topic, If car makers could legally fire people for striking or joining unions, situations like this would certainly play out in a more capitalistic manner. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

yes, 29 is not real bright...

I guess your car did earn some accolades after all. 

https://www.goauto.com.au/news/audi/tt/tt-tops-the-gay-vote/2004-08-31/25109.html

and it’s already been established you aren’t qualified assess intelligence. 

• Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I guess your car did earn some accolades after all. 

https://www.goauto.com.au/news/audi/tt/tt-tops-the-gay-vote/2004-08-31/25109.html

and it’s already been established you aren’t qualified assess intelligence. 

lots of great artists are gay.  I'm not....

1 hour ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Such a system of laissez-faire capitalism is purely theoretical.  Under such a system you'd also need to eliminate subsidies, protectionism, tariffs, government bailouts, tax credits and subsidies provided to business from the government.  In reality the government interferes by providing support and opposition to many things involving both labor and capital.  I've seen our current system described as Crony Capitalism.   A search returned the following description:

Crony capitalism is a term that describes an economic system in which individuals and businesses with political connections and influence are favored over others in ways that undermine fair competition and economic efficiency.

Some examples of crony capitalism are:

• Giving tax breaks, grants, subsidies, or other forms of government assistance to certain businesses or industries that have close ties with politicians or bureaucrats.
  • Awarding contracts, licenses, permits, or quotas to favored firms or individuals without a transparent and competitive bidding process.
  • Protecting domestic producers from foreign competition by imposing tariffs, quotas, or other trade barriers that benefit the cronies.
  • Granting monopolies or oligopolies to certain firms or sectors that can charge higher prices and earn higher profits without fear of new entrants or rivals.
  • Bailing out failing or inefficient businesses or banks that are deemed “too big to fail” or “too connected to fail” by using public funds or guarantees.
  • Crony capitalism is often seen as a form of corruption that erodes public trust and confidence in the government and the market. It also distorts the allocation of resources and creates inefficiencies and inequalities in the economy.
  • Crony capitalism can hinder innovation, entrepreneurship, and economic growth by creating barriers to entry and reducing incentives for improvement.
  • Crony capitalism can also undermine democracy and the rule of law by allowing powerful interests to influence policies and regulations that serve their own interests rather than the public good.

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

True, but isn’t it annoying how many freeloaders you need to carry along the way? 

this includes the hoards of useless politicians and bureaucrats 

It bothers me that the local/state/federal government are always increasing in size.  Worker productivity gains never seem to translate to the number of government workers or budget.   In my small town the budget increases consistently exceed inflation.

Even so, life is too short to get aggravated over the political tide in the US.  I find that I'm more productive if I can accept the present and analyze how I should invest.  

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Precision said:

It bothers me that the local/state/federal government are always increasing in size.  Worker productivity gains never seem to translate to the number of government workers or budget.   In my small town the budget increases consistently exceed inflation.

Even so, life is too short to get aggravated over the political tide in the US.  I find that I'm more productive if I can accept the present and analyze how I should invest.  

true… what’s your feeling?

feels like stagflation where we are now and unemployment is ticking back upward. 

bearish on equities?  Still hedging inflation with some assets? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

true… what’s your feeling?

feels like stagflation where we are now and unemployment is ticking back upward. 

bearish on equities?  Still hedging inflation with some assets? 

I feel like inflation is largely beat with the shelter index being the largest contributor and a lagging indicator.  I saw a video last week where an analyst estimated inflation is under 2% with shelter omitted.  If the fed keeps raising rates (or holds) I'm thinking they overshot with a recession by spring and in a bear market.  I'm not sure I buy the "soft landing" narrative.

We're always in the market, few bonds, some commodities (through ETF's) and do own some rental properties.  The real estate is some work so rather than purchase more I have been focusing on an index annuities game which is working well.  I do trade some individual stocks, did well during the pandemic but of late have barely beat the S&P500 index.

We have a lot of index annuities since each is only insured up to around $150K (based on the state of issuance).  Since I'm retired the capital preservation that the annuity offers works well and we're at a point in our life where we don't need big returns.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Not related, but I just thought I would share the cola increase for VA disabled  is gonna be somewhere around 3% this year last year. It was double that.

Inflation is one of the things that they consider whenever they calculate how much the cola increase is going to be for veterans and it’s down

Now that I am retired, I will be paying attention to that a lot more closely needless to say

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Not related, but I just thought I would share the cola increase for VA disabled  is gonna be somewhere around 3% this year last year. It was double that.

Inflation is one of the things that they consider whenever they calculate how much the cola increase is going to be for veterans and it’s down

Now that I am retired, I will be paying attention to that a lot more closely needless to say

I've seen forecasts of oil prices to $150 and continuing pressure on food costs so inflation might stick around. 

Watch money supply numbers as its still mostly a game of more money chasing fewer goods. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

It should be at least 6%

5 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I've seen forecasts of oil prices to $150 and continuing pressure on food costs so inflation might stick around. 

Watch money supply numbers as its still mostly a game of more money chasing fewer goods. 

As long as they keep on throwing oil on the open market that is being pumped out in the United States this is going to continue being a problem

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

It's normally a smaller percentage.... last year was an aberration. I've been a retired/disabled vet for over 5 years and so yeah you get used to really paying attention to it!

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/23/2023 at 3:42 PM, Precision said:

And....what is the investment strategy today? I'm buying some Nvidia 

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

welp. they are part of the BlackRock/vanguard blue chip companies.

And we see how the massive state spending goes mostly to companies like that.

They are getting a lion's share of the chip's welfare.

8 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I think Nvidia looks high, I personally don't have a position in them but likely some of the mutual funds I invest in do.  

Today, I believe the Fed has raised/held rates for too long and the US will be in a recession soon (Q2-2024).  I expect the market will be in a correction at this time as well.  

Because of this I have transferred some of my holdings in the market into index annuities which track the S&P500 index but do not depreciate in a downturn.  Also, I have moved positions from volatile high risk/reward stock sectors (like technology) to boring sectors that make smaller but predictable gains (like consumer staples).  Also, I tend to invest in ETF's more than individual stocks as it offers protection against the problems in individual companies.  

I see real estate as a good investment toward the end of next year as the Fed begins to lower rates.  As such in the near future I will start to purchase some real estate ETF's in preparation of their rise next year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Precision said:

Ford Pauses Construction on $3.5 Billion EV Battery Plant.

Could be related to the strike (and the projected higher labor costs), Ford's unique difficulties in the EV market or the slow penetration/sales of EV's in the US. 

It’s almost as if these feel good stories about the UAW fighting the man have unintended consequences. 

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

It’s almost as if these feel good stories about the UAW fighting the man have unintended consequences. 

I'm not sure if it's the UAW or if Ford just does not have the ability to produce a competitive EV product.  Either way, Ford is losing money on the sale of every EV it makes.  I would think they would be looking hard at minimizing the cost of the batteries in order to mitigate the losses.  If it was me the battery factory would already be in Mexico!

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

I understand that the president wants to be seen as an everyday "Joe" and support workers.  If this becomes an extended strike, I'm not sure how the government could come in and be considered an objective and fair arbiter in negotiations.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Precision said:

I understand that the president wants to be seen as an everyday "Joe" and support workers.  If this becomes an extended strike, I'm not sure how the government could come in and be considered an objective and fair arbiter in negotiations.

Maybe they can't. So what? 

Just now, Tiberius said:

What's the outcome you would like to see?

25 minutes ago, Precision said:

that could come back to bite him. but right now the simpletons will see the PR of him being for the working man.

He would never take the strikers position behind closed doors, as that would directly hurt his donors.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

In the past the federal government has acted as a mediator when strikes occur and the parties can't come to an agreement.  So maybe the companies and union never come to an agreement, and everyone loses their job.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Precision said:

In the past the federal government has acted as a mediator when strikes occur and the parties can't come to an agreement.  So maybe the companies and union never come to an agreement, and everyone loses their job.

Maybe 

7 minutes ago, B-Man said:

stunt

noun 

: an unusual or difficult feat.

especially : one performed or undertaken chiefly to gain attention or publicity

ap23269625133121-8c3c8dddc245e5327e34beb

Then when they don't get the demands.  His team can say "he was standing with the common man".  

Now we just need articles or talking heads to explain it failed due to Trumpers or some other script. 

Did I read the UAW wants 40% raise and 35 hr work week? Lol why don't you just say we can't compete with other countries so shut us down? It's just going to result in massive layoffs if they have to pay workers that much. Hilarious how naive these idiots are

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Did I read the UAW wants 40% raise and 35 hr work week? Lol why don't you just say we can't compete with other countries so shut us down? It's just going to result in massive layoffs if they have to pay workers that much. Hilarious how naive these idiots are

No.

It is 46%

• Haha (+1) 1