United Auto Workers On Strike

Tiberius

Removing of separate pay scales for doing the same job is huge.  The companies will fight it 

The people with decades might make thirty. 

But new employees are starting at 17 with a cap of 22 unless they get into trades 

That's *****.  But the norm anymore.  

Good luck UAW..

6 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/15/business/auto-workers-strike/index.html

The automakers all offered the union double-digit pay hikes but it was not enough to meet the union negotiators’ demands.

Double digit pay hike should be more than sufficient with the economy doing so well in this era of Bidenomics. Right? 

They are asking for a 40% raise! Wow! 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Angry 1

AP: Workers are on strike at all 3 Detroit auto makers for the first time in their union’s history

"In addition to general wage increases, the union is seeking restoration of cost-of-living pay raises, an end to varying tiers of wages for factory jobs, a 32-hour week with 40 hours of pay, the restoration of traditional defined-benefit pensions for new hires who now receive only 401(k)-style retirement plans, pension increases for retirees and other items.

Starting in 2007, workers gave up cost-of-living raises and defined benefit pensions for new hires. Wage tiers were created as the UAW tried to help the companies avoid financial trouble ahead of and during the Great Recession. Even so, only Ford avoided government-funded bankruptcy protection."

Looks like many of the non-wage demands are about restoring policies that they gave up to save the companies during the recession. I think that's probably a good idea, but "40 hours pay for 32 hours of work" is a pretty bad look.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

The domestic auto industry has been losing market share since the 1970's when disruptions to the oil markets and quality issues plagued the industry.  At that time the workforce was multiples of its current levels but plant closings, NAFTA, more efficient foreign competition, automation, and financial pressures have worked against the companies and the union. 

I worked my way through college at a GM parts plant in Buffalo.  Then after graduating I quit and then moved down to NYC to pursue career interests.  I can tell you working in a parts plant was no picnic.  When people told me those guys get paid too much I told them I doubted they would last an hour in the place,  Its was dirty, noisy, extremely hot, and depending on your specific job, dangerous.  On the job injuries and safety incidents were pretty regular.  If your Foreman was good you were fortunate, but some were real a-holes.  I had both.  But the money was good and it helped me finish college without any debt and a few bucks banked.

Given the current situation some of their demands are unrealistic.  The companies are not going to return to defined pension plans as that was one major reason they were in such bad financial conditions.  Paying retired workers in aggregate almost as much as they paid their employees.  As its a seniority based system I expect the company would want concessions from the union in how they manage work and shift assignments for any concessions for the elimination of wage tiers.  A 40% wage increase with a 32 hour week seems out of the question given the state of the industry.  The negotiating environment seems contentious so I wonder if were going to see a long strike?      

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

AP: Workers are on strike at all 3 Detroit auto makers for the first time in their union’s history

"In addition to general wage increases, the union is seeking restoration of cost-of-living pay raises, an end to varying tiers of wages for factory jobs, a 32-hour week with 40 hours of pay, the restoration of traditional defined-benefit pensions for new hires who now receive only 401(k)-style retirement plans, pension increases for retirees and other items.

Starting in 2007, workers gave up cost-of-living raises and defined benefit pensions for new hires. Wage tiers were created as the UAW tried to help the companies avoid financial trouble ahead of and during the Great Recession. Even so, only Ford avoided government-funded bankruptcy protection."

Looks like many of the non-wage demands are about restoring policies that they gave up to save the companies during the recession. I think that's probably a good idea, but "40 hours pay for 32 hours of work" is a pretty bad look.

every industry is watching. especially union companies. 

ITs been a common practice to push a lower pay scale for future employees at negotiations. and has been happening way before 07.   p. if the UAW gets that condition alone met, it could have a rippling effect.

Moving the 70% of the workforce that is on schedule B, C, D, and E to A would give most of them at least a 40% raise right then.

Edited by Chris farley

6 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I worked my way through college at a GM parts plant in Buffalo.  Then after graduating I quit and then moved down to NYC to pursue career interests.  I can tell you working in a parts plant was no picnic.  When people told me those guys get paid too much I told them I doubted they would last an hour in the place,  Its was dirty, noisy, extremely hot, and depending on your specific job, dangerous.  On the job injuries and safety incidents were pretty regular.  If your Foreman was good you were fortunate, but some were real a-holes.  I had both.  But the money was good and it helped me finish college without any debt and a few bucks banked.

Thanks. I mentioned before that sometimes I get some insight from reading different perspectives here. This is what I mean.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We’ve seen this cycle before.

Unions drive up wages, benefits, pensions and become less profitable. To fix profitability problems, car companies experience layoffs, loss in quality or reduced competitiveness and lose market share. Company spirals into bankruptcy and in sone cases have to be bailed out by taxpayers.  They only alternate is to offshore more of the supply chain or spend more on automation to reduce labor component of vehicles. 

Having worked in the auto industry for a decade early in my career, having seen both type of shops, even abroad and being around  the arbitrators, it’s pretty sleazy.  

The union leadership is much more about carefully cultivating the perception you need them then actually working for what helps you. (Sort of explains which political camp they fall in) 

But I admire their confidence in their skills to ask for a 40% raise and a 20% reduction in work week. I haven’t purchased an American car since 1998 so maybe they are much better now. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Unions drive up wages, benefits, pensions and become less profitable. To fix profitability problems, car companies experience layoffs, loss in quality or reduced competitiveness and lose market share. Company spirals into bankruptcy and in sone cases have to be bailed out by taxpayers.  They only alternate is to offshore more of the supply chain or spend more on automation to reduce labor component of vehicles. 

Having worked in the auto industry for a decade early in my career, having seen both type of shops, even abroad and being around  the arbitrators, it’s pretty sleazy.  

The union leadership is much more about carefully cultivating the perception you need them then actually working for what helps you. (Sort of explains which political camp they fall in) 

But I admire their confidence in their skills to ask for a 40% raise and a 20% reduction in work week. I haven’t purchased an American car since 1998 so maybe they are much better now. 

As a teacher in FL I don't have to be part of the union and any chance to recruit me died when instead of forcing the county to pay me more when I came back to work after COVID they simply made them spend thousands of dollars per teacher on "mitigation" items to "protect" me from COVID. They simply made sure that their buddies got the contracts for these overpriced items. No one who I personally know likes there union much, but many at least get more money from them, I get nothing really.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Oh totally. Vehicles are way better than in the 80's. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Oh totally. Vehicles are way better than in the 80's. 

Yeah, the US auto manufacturers have been killing it, or rather themselves.  I'm sure a higher paid, less productive workforce will only help them.  In addition to my car I've always had a Ford F-150.  My current model (2018) is the worst of the four I've owned dating back to the early 90's. 

Consumer Reports ranking for the most reliable cars of 2023 are in. Here are the winners.

What are the most reliable automotive brands?

1. Toyota

2. Lexus

3. BMW

4. Mazda

5. Honda

6. Audi

7. Subaru

8. Acura

9. Kia

10. Lincoln

11. Buick

12. Genesis

13. Hyundai

14. Volvo

15. Nissan

16. Ram

17. Cadillac

18. Ford

19. Tesla

20. Chevrolet

21. GMC

22. Volkswagen

23. Jeep

24. Mercedes-Benz

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Precision said:

Yeah, the US auto manufacturers have been killing it, or rather themselves.  I'm sure a higher paid, less productive workforce will only help them.  In addition to my car I've always had a Ford F-150.  My current model (2018) is the worst of the four I've owned dating back to the early 90's. 

Consumer Reports ranking for the most reliable cars of 2023 are in. Here are the winners.

1. Toyota

2. Lexus

3. BMW

4. Mazda

5. Honda

6. Audi

7. Subaru

8. Acura

9. Kia

10. Lincoln

11. Buick

12. Genesis

13. Hyundai

14. Volvo

15. Nissan

16. Ram

17. Cadillac

18. Ford

19. Tesla

20. Chevrolet

21. GMC

22. Volkswagen

23. Jeep

24. Mercedes-Benz

I own two Toyotas! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

14 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

It's not so much the wages. Auto makers can plan around wage increases.

It's the benefits and work rules that can cement things in place and make it impossible to respond to changing market conditions.

I do believe the scale got too tilted in favor of management over the last decades, so unions are critical to rebalancing that a bit. But no one (except maybe the union leadership and Bernie) wants to go back to the dark days of the 70s/80s.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It's not so much the wages. Auto makers can plan around wage increases.

It's the benefits and work rules that can cement things in place and make it impossible to respond to changing market conditions.

I do believe the scale got too tilted in favor of management over the last decades, so unions are critical to rebalancing that a bit. But no one (except maybe the union leadership and Bernie) wants to go back to the dark days of the 70s/80s.

If you google UAW strike, all the top results are attacking the Pension demands, not pay.

and its a solid point that these companies want to be able to cut labor(cost) at a moment's notice.  like they can in the rest of the world. 

And something is busted when the incoming wage is 17 dollars an hour, with no pension and health care they can't afford.  

Shoot, at 17 an hour. many probably also get social services to pay for things like health care and food.

Edited by Chris farley
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

https://fortune.com/2023/09/17/uaw-strike-highlights-carmaker-ceo-worker-pay-gaps-gm-ford-stellantis/#.

Ridiculous exec comp.

That said, these folks are expendable.  E vehicles have many less parts.  Automation is better and will continue to improve in every manufacturing industry.  A stipend to live will be needed in the not so far future to stop people from starving.   The upside is the noisy, dirty, hot conditions won't be around. Foreign labor may be cheaper for a bit longer....

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

https://fortune.com/2023/09/17/uaw-strike-highlights-carmaker-ceo-worker-pay-gaps-gm-ford-stellantis/#.

Ridiculous exec comp.

That said, these folks are expendable.  E vehicles have many less parts.  Automation is better and will continue to improve in every manufacturing industry.  A stipend to live will be needed in the not so far future to stop people from starving.   The upside is the noisy, dirty, hot conditions won't be around. Foreign labor may be cheaper for a bit longer....

GM has already outsourced a ton of work to Mexico and Korea. Walk around a Chevy lot and see how many VINs start with 3 or K and how many list engines and transmissions built in Mexico. And yes, that includes the pickup trucks. 

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, LeviF said:

GM has already outsourced a ton of work to Mexico and Korea. Walk around a Chevy lot and see how many VINs start with 3 or K and how many list engines and transmissions built in Mexico. And yes, that includes the pickup trucks. 

Sad but true.  And my subie was built in Indiana. the buick is a rebadged Opel...it's actually a great car in the GS trim with a stick.  Wouldn't mind finding an old opel GT.  Interesting that the Japanese (and German) makers have chosen states that aren't union friendly to build plants...

3 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Sad but true.  And my subie was built in Indiana. the buick is a rebadged Opel...

Our Tahoe is American-built and assembled but outside of that there isn't much anymore. I traded in a '15 Impala that was assembled in America for that but walking around the lot in late 2021 was just depressing.

7 minutes ago, LeviF said:

Our Tahoe is American-built and assembled but outside of that there isn't much anymore. I traded in a '15 Impala that was assembled in America for that but walking around the lot in late 2021 was just depressing.

our turbo blew in the buick during the pandemic.  Cars were outrageous.  Put a rebuilt engine in a car with 120k but it was the right decision.  took awhile to get all the parts tho.  I did consider the subie BR tho.  a fishing friend sells Subies.  Couldn't find a single one in the country...

pretty cool tho and good value.  We'll see how the engine holds up...

https://www.subaru.com/vehicles/brz/gallery.html

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

our turbo blew in the buick during the pandemic.  Cars were outrageous.  Put a rebuilt engine in a car with 120k but it was the right decision.  took awhile to get all the parts tho.  I did consider the subie BR tho.  a fishing friend sells Subies.  Couldn't find a single one in the country...

pretty cool tho and good value.  We'll see how the engine holds up...

https://www.subaru.com/vehicles/brz/gallery.html

You know what Subaru is?  It's the poster car for some group you probably are chummy with.  Ha.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Irv said:

You know what Subaru is?  It's the poster car for some group you probably are chummy with.  Ha.  

ya know, i brought a load to the dump the other day and the guy said "nice truck".  Best in snow.  A friend with a dodge truck came with his wife t\o stay in a rare snow storm when his power went out.  couldn't get up my hill.  Subie just glued up it.  But yeah.  you're not the target market.  And the evolution thing.  
Safest cars there are....

I'm OCD. had to check

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/top-safety-picks/2023/all/subaru

1 hour ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Ridiculous exec comp.

Imo, this is the best post in the thread so far.  Most other posts have primarily consisted of political talking points, but yours doesn't ignore some basic realities (namely trends in automation, pay inequity, and global labor markets).  

I will add separately that the general sentiment against unions disheartens me.  Those same people casually use terms like "8-hour workday" and "40-hour workweek" and "worker safety" and "lunch breaks" and "paid time off" as if those concepts are simply a given and always have been, with no consideration for the sweat, toil, and blood that went into their genesis.  

I'm not sure if it's a lack of awareness or just a lack of appreciation, but so much of what we take for granted today was not done in the interest of increasing profits; it was not done because employers are altruistic; it was done because workers organized themselves into labor unions and bargained with employers to achieve the best possible deal, and much in the same way that businesses bargain with each other for the best deals.  

If employers were to somehow convince workers to pay employers for the privilege of working for them, they'd do that seemingly nonsensical thing tomorrow if they could, even if they knew better than not to and regardless of how negatively it might affect anyone.  If industries could start dumping effluent into our waterways again, they would cease spending money on expensive pollution control systems and switch to this much cheaper alternative.  

If a choice increases profit, businesses will lean towards that choice and away from alternative choices, as that is literally their primary function.  Get rid of organized labor... and then it will only be a matter of time until these things we value are eroded away in the interest of a higher profit margin and an increase in the stock price.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Capco said:

Imo, this is the best post in the thread so far.  Most other posts have primarily consisted of political talking points, but yours doesn't ignore some basic realities (namely trends in automation, pay inequity, and global labor markets).  

I will add separately that the general sentiment against unions disheartens me.  Those same people casually use terms like "8-hour workday" and "40-hour workweek" and "worker safety" and "lunch breaks" and "paid time off" as if those concepts are simply a given and always have been, with no consideration for the sweat, toil, and blood that went into their genesis.  

I'm not sure if it's a lack of awareness or just a lack of appreciation, but so much of what we take for granted today was not done in the interest of increasing profits; it was not done because employers are altruistic; it was done because workers organized themselves into labor unions and bargained with employers to achieve the best possible deal, and much in the same way that businesses bargain with each other for the best deals.  

If employers were to somehow convince workers to pay employers for the privilege of working for them, they'd do that seemingly nonsensical thing tomorrow if they could, even if they knew better than not to and regardless of how negatively it might affect anyone.  If industries could start dumping effluent into our waterways again, they would cease spending money on expensive pollution control systems and switch to this much cheaper alternative.  

If a choice increases profit, businesses will lean towards that choice and away from alternative choices, as that is literally their primary function.  Get rid of organized labor... and then it will only be a matter of time until these things we value are eroded away in the interest of a higher profit margin and an increase in the stock price.

Best post I've seen in a long time from anyone in the forum  Nice job..  Thanks.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Capco said:

So I presume you walk this walk of gratitude, and only buy union produced products no matter the additional cost or reduced value proposition, right? 

• Disagree 1

On 9/20/2023 at 9:23 AM, Precision said:

1. Toyota

2. Lexus

3. BMW

4. Mazda

5. Honda

6. Audi

7. Subaru

8. Acura

9. Kia

10. Lincoln

11. Buick

12. Genesis

13. Hyundai

14. Volvo

15. Nissan

16. Ram

17. Cadillac

18. Ford

19. Tesla

20. Chevrolet

21. GMC

22. Volkswagen

23. Jeep

24. Mercedes-Benz

and I’m willing to bet the majority of the uaw cheering squad owns 0 vehicles produced by the uaw. 

I have seen very clearly that the threat of unionization in the auto industry is a lot better for car companies and employees than actual unionization is, at least in the past couple decades anyway. 

• Disagree 1

12 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

and I’m willing to bet the majority of the uaw cheering squad owns 0 vehicles produced by the uaw. 

I have seen very clearly that the threat of unionization in the auto industry is a lot better for car companies and employees than actual unionization is, at least in the past couple decades anyway. 

Buick!  pick me , pick me!

4 hours ago, LeviF said:

Growing up all I wanted was a ford thunderbird. after a college internship I stashed the money to buy a 92 or 94 , low miles good conduction, dealership purchase at market value.  A couple years old. 

During 4 years of owning this car… cracked engine block, blown head gaskets, alternator, electric seat, oil leaks, water pump, struts, tie rods, headlights, taillights, oxygen sensor, timing belt, heater core all failed. 

I vowed I’d never buy an American car again.

a Honda, 2 Acuras, and 4 bmws later, I’ve yet to have a quarter of the issues all together that that one car had. 

5 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Buick!  pick me , pick me!

Your car was made Austria 

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Growing up all I wanted was a ford thunderbird. after a college internship I stashed the money to buy a 92 or 94 , low miles good conduction, dealership purchase at market value.  A couple years old. 

During 4 years of owning this car… cracked engine block, blown head gaskets, alternator, electric seat, oil leaks, water pump, struts, tie rods, headlights, taillights, oxygen sensor, timing belt, heater core all failed. 

I vowed I’d never buy an American car again.

a Honda, 2 Acuras, and 4 bmws later, I’ve yet to have a quarter of the issues all together that that one car had. 

Your car was made Austria 

My cars have all been American or American-adjacent and all been good to me. Now I drive a Hyundai because my wife brought it into the marriage and the Tahoe was really for her 😂

2007 Mazda Speed3 (American-adjacent due to Ford partnership) (totaled out after getting rear ended in 2018 at ~200k miles)

1999 Chevy S-10 longbed (rusted out frame in 2016, good night sweet prince)

2015 Impala (bought CPO in 2018 with 40k miles for $15k out the door, got $14k on trade for it in 2021 with 100k miles on it haha)

2022 Tahoe 

None ever gave me any problems. I did my research though, lot of “American” clunkers out there. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LeviF said:

My cars have all been American or American-adjacent and all been good to me. Now I drive a Hyundai because my wife brought it into the marriage and the Tahoe was really for her 😂

2007 Mazda Speed3 (American-adjacent due to Ford partnership) (totaled out after getting rear ended in 2018 at ~200k miles)

2015 Impala (bought CPO in 2018 with 40k miles for $15k out the door, got $14k on trade for it in 2021 with 100k miles on it haha)

2022 Tahoe 

None ever gave me any problems. I did my research though, lot of “American” clunkers out there. 

that 200k Mazda number is heart warming… 

22 Tahoe - very nice. 

22 minutes ago, LeviF said:

2022 Tahoe 

I had a Genesis sedan. Looked like a merc. One of my favorites. So comfortable. My wife said it was an old man car. Someone got a good deal

36 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

our car was made Austria 

No. Maybe Australia. I’ll need to look

18 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

I had a Genesis sedan. Looked like a merc. One of my favorites. So comfortable. My wife said it was an old man car. Someone got a good deal

No. Maybe Australia. I’ll need to look

Opel gmbH… Österriech  build the Buick badged cars. You effectively paid the gm execs while ***** the uaw. 🤔 

Well done …, slow clap 

Uneducated consumers that don’t practice what they preach are the worst, arent they? 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Opel gmbH… Österriech  build the Buick badged cars. You effectively paid the gm execs while ***** the uaw. 🤔 

Well done …, slow clap 

Uneducated consumers that don’t practice what they preach are the worst, arent they? 

Both wrong.  Germany is now a dependable ally.  Try finding a stick American car.  I won't have a jeep.  Camaros are too torque heavy.  Vettes are rarely seen with a stick.  So stick it...

The Buick Regal is a luxury sedan born and built in Germany, and it acts like one. Sportier than the other Buicks, the midsize Regal is smaller than the full-size LaCrosse, larger than the compact Verano.Feb 24, 2012

2012 Buick Regal Review - NewCarTestDrive

this must be your "Austria" connection

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/12/buick-regals-demise-tipped-to-kill-australias-holden-commodore/

2 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Both wrong.  Germany is now a dependable ally.  Try finding a stick American car.  I won't have a jeep.  Camaros are too torque heavy.  Vettes are rarely seen with a stick.  So stick it...

The Buick Regal is a luxury sedan born and built in Germany, and it acts like one. Sportier than the other Buicks, the midsize Regal is smaller than the full-size LaCrosse, larger than the compact Verano.Feb 24, 2012

I almost bought a CPO Regal Turbo instead of the Impala. But the Impala was a deal I couldn’t pass up. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, LeviF said:

I almost bought a CPO Regal Turbo instead of the Impala. But the Impala was a deal I couldn’t pass up. 

Never drove a new Impala.  My dad had one in the 80's.  It was a boat.  New ones look cool.  European origin?

Detroit!  All you'd ever want to know...

https://www.motortrend.com/vehicle-genres/chevrolet-impala-history-generations-specifications/

9 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

this must be your "Austria" connection

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/12/buick-regals-demise-tipped-to-kill-australias-holden-commodore/

no Opel was building a bunch of cars though subcontracted assembly lines with magna styr in Austria- particularly Buick badge opels. 

but ok the regal. Or Opel insignia. So which UAW plant did you support by purchasing this car? 

My new dream car I will always be too cheap to buy is the M8. 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Never drove a new Impala.  My dad had one in the 80's.  It was a boat.  New ones look cool.  European origin?

I believe it shares a platform (extended) with some of the early 2000s Saabs. But overall designed in Michigan. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

no Opel was building a bunch of cars though subcontracted assembly lines with magna styr in Austria- particularly Buick badge opels. 

but ok the regal. Or Opel insignia. So which UAW plant did you support by purchasing this car? 

It's a good car.   My wife made the deal.  They had it on the sales floor.  2012 model mid 2013.  NOBODY wanted a stick.  We did.  They just kept calling with a better price.  Traded the Genesis. Compete or lose.