Bills are adjusting to a lot and are going to get better

transplantbillsfan

3 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Interesting narrative. It’s not remotely close to reality, but there are probably some fanboys you can sell it to. 

It's borderline delusional. 

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Sorry Transplant but nothing killed the atmosphere more than Rodgers getting hurt on the 4th play.  It was dead.

We were up by 10 at one point during the game.

If this opening day atmosphere for this was too huge for Allen, are you confident he would play well in a Super Bowl?

At this point a Super Bowl appearance seems like a fantasy more than a reality. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Partly true but there's more to the story. I'll try to elaborate. 

Diggs is the only reliable passing target in the team. The rest of the WR core isn't very good. 

The Jets D dominated the predictable and uncreative Bills offense. The Bills can't match up with their defense. The stats back that up from last year to the Monday night game. 

Allen gave the game away. I suspect he feels like he's on an island with a unreliable oline, a lack of explosive offensive weapons, and an OC that stinks. He's lost his trust in the offense. He's mentally fragile. His eyes and feet were roaming wildly in a bad way which result in happy feet, panic, and horrific decisions. It's not the first or last time Bills fans will see this. 

The team is likely on a descending decline and we saw a glimpse of that in Monday night. This team isn't as good as many think. 

You are being extremely dramatic.

Allen is going to watch the film and see the multiple missed opportunities and he's going to point the finger at the OC and his lack of weapons?

If they are open and Allen doesn't throw it to them, you're blaming the WR's?  He's lost trust in the offense when HE is the one not doing his part?

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Interesting narrative. It’s not remotely close to reality, but there are probably some fanboys you can sell it to. 

The OP has always been probably the biggest Allen apologist here for years. I expected a thread like this to pop up from them this week. Just excuse after excuse. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Diggs is the only reliable passing target in the team. The rest of the WR core isn't very good. 

The Jets D dominated the predictable and uncreative Bills offense. The Bills can't match up with their defense. The stats back that up from last year to the Monday night game. 

Allen gave the game away. I suspect he feels like he's on an island with a unreliable oline, a lack of explosive offensive weapons, and an OC that stinks. He's lost his trust in the offense. He's mentally fragile. His eyes and feet were roaming wildly in a bad way which result in happy feet, panic, and horrific decisions. It's not the first or last time Bills fans will see this. 

The team is likely on a descending decline and we saw a glimpse of that in Monday night. This team isn't as good as many think. 

The talent level on the Bills is better than NE right on offense at least? (I don’t think anyone would disagree here on that fact)  Well I’d dare say Allen with the Pats this year with O’Brian as OC and BB would not only win the division they would go to the SB! Again only swapping Jones and Allen nothing else.  Why? Because BB and O’Brian would be on him every time he tried to do hero ball.. he probably been benched by BB after the 3rd pick so the fumble never happens. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

This game had an eerily similar feel to last years Cincinnati game.  Allen had that "Deer in the headlights" look which is troubling.  Bills need utilize more of their offensive weapons and not just Diggs.  Allen needs to take what the D is giving the Bills more , even if it is only 5 yards.   I believe they will bounce back at home next week.  Hopefully more balls will go to other offensive players including the rookie Kincaid.

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Have we all taken our deep breaths yet?

Let's be honest, the Bills have wildly shifted their offensive philosophy. I understand it didn't necessarily look like that in the game against the Jets, but the Bills went from being the team with the lowest percentage of 12 personnel in the NFL last season to being the highest in week 1.

That signals a massive offensive philosophy shift.

But obviously it didn't look like that on the field, which was really just because of poor choices by Josh yesterday.

Josh played what I think was his worst game in the NFL yesterday.

So what? Disregard his previous 5 years? It took 5 years, but suddenly he's figured out?

Idiotic.

Josh will have bad games in the future obviously, but I think he needs to get his feet under him in this offensive philosophy. The Jets, in hindsight, may have been the worst team to trot out a new offensive philosophy and try to get comfortable against.

It was Monday night on September 11th in the general metropolitan area and the atmosphere was clearly electric. Hero Ball from Josh seemed almost inevitable looking back on it.

On top of all this, Sean McDermott is calling the defense (with a brand new young MLB) for the first time ever as Head Coach... mighta been an issue... particularly on an 83 yard run where everyone was misaligned.

I was actually impressed with the play of Bernard and especially Benford on our D.

I just think this idea that this national narrative in the offseason that "the Bills didn't improve because they stayed the same" is, at best, half true.

We still have to wait to see if the Bills improved... but a lot has changed:

Shift to 12 personnel 

All the offensive philosophies that go with that

Shift to HC as DC (How much is he in Josh's ear)

2 new OL

New QB of the Defense in Bernard 

New CB2

etc.

giphy.gif

The homers among us will buy this hook, line and sinker 😂

Last few games Josh and O have looked horrible. My brain can’t shake Cinci where our WRs ran “dumb snow routes” and Jets “dumb INT/“QB dumb runs”

it’s blatantly dumb stuff. I’d feel better if Sauce tricked him in coverage…or wind blew. 

Edited by Since1981

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Have we all taken our deep breaths yet?

Let's be honest, the Bills have wildly shifted their offensive philosophy. I understand it didn't necessarily look like that in the game against the Jets, but the Bills went from being the team with the lowest percentage of 12 personnel in the NFL last season to being the highest in week 1.

That signals a massive offensive philosophy shift.

But obviously it didn't look like that on the field, which was really just because of poor choices by Josh yesterday.

Josh played what I think was his worst game in the NFL yesterday.

So what? Disregard his previous 5 years? It took 5 years, but suddenly he's figured out?

Idiotic.

Josh will have bad games in the future obviously, but I think he needs to get his feet under him in this offensive philosophy. The Jets, in hindsight, may have been the worst team to trot out a new offensive philosophy and try to get comfortable against.

It was Monday night on September 11th in the general metropolitan area and the atmosphere was clearly electric. Hero Ball from Josh seemed almost inevitable looking back on it.

On top of all this, Sean McDermott is calling the defense (with a brand new young MLB) for the first time ever as Head Coach... mighta been an issue... particularly on an 83 yard run where everyone was misaligned.

I was actually impressed with the play of Bernard and especially Benford on our D.

I just think this idea that this national narrative in the offseason that "the Bills didn't improve because they stayed the same" is, at best, half true.

We still have to wait to see if the Bills improved... but a lot has changed:

Shift to 12 personnel 

All the offensive philosophies that go with that

Shift to HC as DC (How much is he in Josh's ear)

2 new OL

New QB of the Defense in Bernard 

New CB2

etc.

giphy.gif

yup.  Time to start up this year’s Josh Allen MVP thread.

• Haha (+1) 1

That all sounds good. And maybe there's some slight truth to that but that's not what I took away from this at all. I like Josh Allen as much as everyone else but I don't get why we have to coddle him and not criticize him. Josh Allen isn't playing "Team" football. Josh Allen is playing for Josh Allen. He's not thinking at all, he has a total disregard for playing situational football and he's back to thinking that he has to be a human highlight reel. We have no problem blaming Ken Dorsey for all of the offensive woes but when I watched the game, I saw guys open underneath in the middle of the field and instead of Josh taking what was there he was trying to show off.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Which one of those changes resulted in Hollywood lobbing bombs into double coverage 50 yards downfield and running straight into blocked defenders for the 6th year in a row?

No offense, but that would be a you problem if you haven't come to terms with it by now. 

How did Josh look last year against the same Jets defense? OP said this was probably Allen's worst NFL game in his six year career. That's probably true and the two games last year against the Jets are probably in the top 10 of worst games of Allen's career. 

Nothing we saw Monday night should have surprised anyone. 

We should all be surprised if Allen doesn't put up MVP Allen type games against the Raiders, Commander and Dolphins coming up. He should get back to that high level of play in at least two out of the three upcoming games. 

Hopefully people have come to terms with Allen's play against elite defenses is a huge problem and there is nothing we can do about it other than hope the turnovers can be manageable, like one or two instead of 4. But it is what it is at this point. 

• Like (+1) 1

For what it's worth, during the super bowl years the Bills could really lay and egg.  Jk12 could make some really dumb throws and had some of his worst games on a Monday night.  Yes, Josh was terrible!  Based on his body of work I expect a fantastic game from him on Sunday.  He has good short term memory.

Also, in 1990 Bills got crushed by the 🐟.   It was the year after the bickering Bills.  They had a team meeting, hashed their crap out and went on to destroy the jets in the famous pumpkin beach ball game.

Basically, if you are a long time fan, you know there is no need to panic just yet.  Pull that crap on Sunday and watch the wheels fall of this thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

the Bills have wildly shifted their offensive philosophy. I understand it didn't necessarily look like that in the game against the Jets, but the Bills went from being the team with the lowest percentage of 12 personnel in the NFL last season to being the highest in week 1.

As I re-watch the game, I wish that new philosophy included a bit more pre-snap motion. We do not make defenses move or adjust at all.

I feel like the crackhead skit on Dave Chappell, but instead of vying for more drugs, I just want the offense to move!

It has been proven that pre-snap motion results in higher EPA per attempt. Watch the Dolphins game and they have Waddle and Hill and Mostert motioning all over the field. Defenses are constantly running to adjust. I’m a bit jealous.

IMG-2831.jpg

Allen’s EPA/play last season was 3x higher with motion than without.

• Haha (+1) 1

After my own deep dive here's what I've got...

Josh Allen lost this game and there are no other excuses. Sure everything was not perfect, but we're playing a VERY good defense. Josh completely blew it because he played like a confused 12 year old on amphetamines. There are no other excuses and if there is anything else we need to do it's simply stop with all that garbage. It was Josh. A disciplined QB with his arm talent and athletic capabilities would have put up 30 minimum Monday night with patience, smarts, accuracy, and scrambling ability. Instead he decided to play like an idiot. That's why we lost. And he needs to grow tf up...

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.