2023 NFL Season - Week #1 - Bills at Jets - Post game game thread

BuffaloBill

47 minutes ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

Cool, keep the blinders on. Me personally I’d like to get Josh a good coach that doesn’t blow games and gets his team ready to play. Personally I’d like to get a GM that can get our QB weapons. I’d also like an O coordinator that doesn’t call draws on 2nd and 15. To each their own I guess. Enjoy the mediocrity. 

I think Pegula made a huge mistake giving both Pegula and McDermott extensions? The team will never win big games withy McDermott and Beane is a terrible drafter,  thus the Bills had the least roster change over. Sickening Beane blew a first rounder on Elam who does not even dress when he could have drafted Beece Hall. How many wasted high picks have turned into busts,  Ford/Basham/Elam?Espenesa? to name a few and we have naive fans who think he is some genius. 

I said before the season started that this roster was full of older guys making huge money.  That is why the media is saying the Bills playoff window is this season even though our starting QB is only 27.  Not surprised no team was interested in signing Poyer, old and beat days are behind him. For the record I would have preferred resigning Edmunds and trading Oliver when is too small to play DT. What did Beane do this offeasson to improve the team? Drafting a TE in the first round for team that just gave Knox a huge extension? The 2 TE set will be a killer and has McDermott's caveman football shining behind it.  If they want to be a more balanced running team then go get an elite RB like Taylor. 

Probably one of the top 5 most painful losses in Bills history.  They even get the doink off the upright and in to tie the game and win the coin toss and still lose.  All they needed was field goals to win this game and Josh jus threw it away.  This loss was just as bad and painful as the Music City Miracle.  All he does is goes to Diggs.  My dog knows it's going to Diggs.  It's old and defenses have figured it out.  When is Von Miller going to get back? Josh Allen is above coaching.  Nobody who tries to hurdle a linebacker 7 yards short of a first down is listening to the coaches.  McDermott is another issue.  Josh Allen is a problem child.  The real problem is, that he has taken all the money and there is no money left over for a better than ok offensive line and certainly better coaches.  Bring in Kyle Brandt.  Maybe he'll listen to him.  Maybe Josh should be working out more rather than watching those stupid movies he has all this time to review. Like, dude. The gave you a quarter of a billion dollars.  Get off your ass and the golf course and start training.  He looks soft.  

Season is long - my patience is not.

However...

Coming out of last night, I'd still rather be a Bills fan than a Jets fan.  The Jets played their ass off, but yesterday was way more the Bills shooting themselves in the foot then Jet's playing great football.  Their offense will not generate anything with Wilson as QB.  They better hope Rodgers is able to play at some point this season.

Chiefs, Bengals, Bills all lost week 1.  Surprise surprise, the NFL is a tough league to win in.  My expectations of this team are still the same - 11-13 wins and a division title.

Couple minor notes:

Diggs looks good, he made Gardner look poor most of the night 1 on 1

Allen played a bad game, and I think he was reading short to deep, which really took away his ability to attack the mid range.  The Jet's spied him wiht Mosley, and Allen looked like he was chucking the ball downfield blindly, instead of by intelligent choice.  I will say, Allen isn't going to have another game like this again in the season.  Worst Allen game since his rookie year.

Dorsey needs to leverage Knox and Kincaid more.  They will be matchup nightmares

Cook looked good.  I cant be mad that he didnt convert a 3rd and 10 by juking two backers coming at him full speed.  He isnt Mccoy.

Defense looked good, two/three big runs aside.  I thought Milano looked the best of the bunch, and I was disappointed in Poyer.  He looks slow

Bass is a great kicker - underrated around the league

Offensive like looked OK - I thought they had good moments and bad moments.  They weren't the reason we lost

Mistakes cost the Bills a victory.  Need to clean it up.  Good thing, week 1 tends to be the big mistake week, so I EXPECT this to clean up as we move forward.

• Like (+1) 1

This board is about to (If not already) going to be fun to read. So, Josh had his worst game ever and looked like his impatient rookie self. Instead of taking what was given to him, he pissed the game away. It happens. Jets are in worse shape as most likely Rogers is done for the year. Buffalo needs to get their offensive crap together or it is going to be a long long season! A few points:

- Not staying up for those late games!!! Even when over i cannot sleep for at least another 2-3 hours and i am freaking exhausted!!!

- Sabres are starting up very very soon!!!! YES!!!!!!

- Have zero faith in the Bills OC. Cannot scheme guys open?? 5 receivers and nobody open?

- Most like played against the best defense in the league last night. 

- Only one game in a long long season. 

- If this season turns south quickly, there is always the SABRES!!!! (Love hockey more anyways! LOL) 

Not going to get spun up over one ***** showing.

We should have won, but we played a poor game.  It happens.  Time to move forward.  

Josh was bad.  He knows it.  He admitted it.  

Put this game in the trash.  

Good for the Jets fans.  They deserve a moment of joy.  Many of them are human.  The Football Gods stepped in and gave them a consolation prize, having lost Rodgers...they needed something to keep them off the ledge.  

The Patriots coach would be moving on to the next game.  We should do the same.

• Like (+1) 1

Also - Allen looked impatient and FRUSTRATED in the second half.  My guess? He wanted to put the Jets away, but their defense stepped up and Josh started forcing.  If we go three and out every drive in the second half, we win the game.  Allen got caught up in the moment, and it showed.

We all knew the Jet's defence is great - let's acknowledge that and give them credit.  Bills let the Jet's influence their decision making, and it bit us.

Expect better results moving forward.

13 minutes ago, Reverse Meathead said:

Probably one of the top 5 most painful losses in Bills history.  They even get the doink off the upright and in to tie the game and win the coin toss and still lose.  All they needed was field goals to win this game and Josh jus threw it away.  This loss was just as bad and painful as the Music City Miracle.  All he does is goes to Diggs.  My dog knows it's going to Diggs.  It's old and defenses have figured it out.  When is Von Miller going to get back? Josh Allen is above coaching.  Nobody who tries to hurdle a linebacker 7 yards short of a first down is listening to the coaches.  McDermott is another issue.  Josh Allen is a problem child.  The real problem is, that he has taken all the money and there is no money left over for a better than ok offensive line and certainly better coaches.  Bring in Kyle Brandt.  Maybe he'll listen to him.  Maybe Josh should be working out more rather than watching those stupid movies he has all this time to review. Like, dude. The gave you a quarter of a billion dollars.  Get off your ass and the golf course and start training.  He looks soft.  

so 4 Superbowl losses and this makes top 5?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It’s not really about one game though…. The bills aren’t getting to a SB with Josh playing that way…probably not even playoffs. He was a mess…. And it’s similar(though not nearly like what we saw last night)to what we saw last season to end the year…. It’s alarming…. Oh and then the McD led Bills seemingly lose these types of games all the time. Poor situational awareness runs deep in the McProcess….. only one week but can’t  say I’d be surprised if this team is headed towards regression and a 7 to 9 win season.

I agree that if the Bills play like this we dont win a super bowl.  I think that's obvious.  But every measure over the last 3-4 years points us to the likelyhood that this was our WORST game of the season, and will revert back to the mean.  4 turnovers is not a likely outcome week to week.  So I understand being nervous about Superbowl potential, but let's not act like last night is the norm week over week.  No team has ever averaged 4 turnovers a game over the course of the season.

If you want to point out that the Bills have 1-2 of these games each season, I agree.  But every team does that.  Hell, Burrow just threw for 82 yards against the Browns and put up 3 points.  Chiefs just lost to the Lions week 1.  Good teams lose to worse teams every year.

1 hour ago, gjv said:

Had Rodgers played the whole game, the Bills might have been embarrassed last night.

Did you watch Rodgers stumble like a geriatric before throwing the ball away on his only pass attempt? He looked 60 years old. There was no way he was getting through that NFL game, much less playing it at a high level. 

I am getting a little tired of hearing as an excuse that the Jets defense is great.  Our offense is supposed to be great, and I feel like our offense played scared last night.  To be great, an offense needs to be able to play more than one style.  We did not show that we can be a physical offense last night, both in terms of protection and the running game, and until we do, the results will be the same as the second half of last season.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It’s a good defense that will be exposed eventually by a better prepared and coached team/ and QB who isn’t a train wreck mentally…. Jets will win 7-9 games.

So when did we go from 4 straight playoff appearances and 3 straight division titles with this team to a poorly prepared coach and a train wreck QB?

21 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

I agree that if the Bills play like this we dont win a super bowl.  I think that's obvious.  But every measure over the last 3-4 years points us to the likelyhood that this was our WORST game of the season, and will revert back to the mean.  4 turnovers is not a likely outcome week to week.  So I understand being nervous about Superbowl potential, but let's not act like last night is the norm week over week.  No team has ever averaged 4 turnovers a game over the course of the season.

If you want to point out that the Bills have 1-2 of these games each season, I agree.  But every team does that.  Hell, Burrow just threw for 82 yards against the Browns and put up 3 points.  Chiefs just lost to the Lions week 1.  Good teams lose to worse teams every year.

Unfortunately over the past 6 or 7 games, this is what Allen has become. I thought the failure of last year would wake him up, but this is what Allen has become and it’s not pretty.

2 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

So when did we go from 4 straight playoff appearances and 3 straight division titles with this team to a poorly prepared coach and a train wreck QB?

Green Bay last season, something changed with Allen, and not for the better. Without him playing at a high level, he can’t cover all the other flaws this team has.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Meatloaf63 said:

Unfortunately over the past 6 or 7 games, this is what Allen has become. I thought the failure of last year would wake him up, but this is what Allen has become and it’s not pretty.

If anything the failure of last year weighs heavily on him. The worst thing to happen with the Bengals game is have an eight month gap after it. Hopefully having a six day turnaround will eradicate some of the dwelling.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.