2023 NFL Season - Week #1 - Bills at Jets - Post game game thread

BuffaloBill

2 minutes ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

Agreed, 100%. With a coach like Reid, or Sean Payton, Allen would win multiple super bowls over his career. Without a doubt he is talented enough, but he has to do it ALL on his own.

But Pegula won't fire McDermott because he's a "strong Christian man" which is what he wrote in the statement explaining his contract extension. It seems his Christianity is the reason he'll be here forever. 

I didn’t know this and I very much wish it wasn’t true. Ridiculous “qualification” to consider for that job. 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

It's Josh playing hero ball, we lost cause of it

I get that if that was a one time deal or a rare occurrence. This has been a theme his whole career. So the hero ball reference just doesn't really fly in my eyes. 

I suspect Allen will always turn over the ball more than others. He is a risk taker. At times there will be big payoffs and vice versa. 

2 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Agreed, but is it justified? Other than Brown being pushed back into the pocket, I didn't think the line played that bad on passing downs.  Is it just being paranoid and impatient?

Combination of ptsd from seasons past and some bad blocking.  Gotta rewatch it to see what went down.   Actually, no chance I rewatch that hot garbage.  

seems really skittish and has lost his poise and pocket presence

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Ok , but I'll still never go along with a 3rd down interception is as good as a punt. It's not and never will be. Too many things could happen, and 3rd and 20 isn't that big a deal these days.

But you’re acting as if there’s no potential reward in taking a deep shot. Even if there’s a 20 percent chance of success, that’s a 20 percent chance of 50 yards and 6 points. 
Of course the obvious problem tonight is that Diggs just wasn’t open. He’s really really good but he’s not Tyreek. 

10 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Ok if you say so. Come the end of the season let's see if it was a big game. 

After this game, as a fan it's hard not to be disappointed in the way the Bills played. 

Several of last years issues seemingly reappeared tonight. The oline can't stop a quality defense, the love for Cook should be tempered. He's nice but not elite and can't shed a tackle. Allen continues to turnover the ball. A constant theme for years now. Gotta ask if this is who he is aka Farve. Coaching wasn't great tonight. Dline gave up some big runs which is another common theme. 

Kincaid looked decent but far from what many were implying he's a game changer. Knox was better. Bernard didn't look as bad as I thought. 

I don't have much confidence in this coaching staff. Dorsey appears to be unable to put a cohesive game plan or make positive adjustments. He seems to call plays on the fly play by play like backyard football. Maybe I'm wrong here but that's my feeling. 

Coach McD is overrated. I just don't think he can get this team over the hump. 

With that said, I still thought the Bills were going to win the game once they won the OT toss. 

He's overpaid and that was a bad deal by Beane. 

If week 1 is a big game, every game is a big game.

That is not an invalid argument - but when someone says something like, Allen never shows up in the big games - by the nature of a statement like that, every game isn't a big game.

So, no - this was not a big game, by most definitions.

4 minutes ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

Agreed, 100%. With a coach like Reid, or Sean Payton, Allen would win multiple super bowls over his career. Without a doubt he is talented enough, but he has to do it ALL on his own.

But Pegula won't fire McDermott because he's a "strong Christian man" which is what he wrote in the statement explaining his contract extension. It seems his Christianity is the reason he'll be here forever. 

We shouldn't ever hire based on religion, it's a cult and irrational. Not what you need leading a team.

5 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Agreed, but is it justified? Other than Brown being pushed back into the pocket, I didn't think the line played that bad on passing downs.  Is it just being paranoid and impatient?

I did see a lot of Allen with happy feet and not trusting his pocket. 

Perhaps a more knowledgeable fan can give their assessment. 

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

I get that if that was a one time deal or a rare occurrence. This has been a theme his whole career. So the hero ball reference just doesn't really fly in my eyes. 

I suspect Allen will always turn over the ball more than others. He is a risk taker. At times there will be big payoffs and vice versa. 

Except it wasn't risks that he took, it was incredibly bad judgement to make those throws. I mean, yeah, it's risky to throw to someone clearly covered, but that's more being stupid than being a risk taker. Hard to see this season with a win unless it's game 17 and the Bills aren't making the playoffs.

Just now, newcam2012 said:

Might want to add we need to find a Tim Brady too. Because Allen ain't no Brady. 

No he's not, but there are many ways to win in the NFL. Brady was basically an OC on the field but he didn't have the arm talent or rushing ability or scrambling ability that Allen has. 

Allen is not an OC but neither is Dorsey. You need at least one to win a Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Success said:

If week 1 is a big game, every game is a big game.

That is not an invalid argument - but when someone says something like, Allen never shows up in the big games - by the nature of a statement like that, every game isn't a big game.

So, no - this was not a big game, by most definitions.

Every game is a big game, there are only 17. Especially with the defending Champs dropping their first game. Kansas City is the standard right now, you have to be at least 1 game ahead of them each week, cause eventually they are going to get their ***** together and start a winning streak because of Mahomes and Reid.

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

But you’re acting as if there’s no potential reward in taking a deep shot. Even if there’s a 20 percent chance of success, that’s a 20 percent chance of 50 yards and 6 points. 
Of course the obvious problem tonight is that Diggs just wasn’t open. He’s really really good but he’s not Tyreek. 

No, I'm not saying that. It's the rationalizing a bad play by saying it's like a punt. That has always bugged the hell out of me. It's just one of those dumb things announcers say all the time and makes no sense to me. It's simple , you'd never punt on 3rd down, so don't say the INT on 3rd is equivalent to one.

15 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

It's Josh playing hero ball, we lost cause of it

Not sure that’s true, although we undoubtedly lost because of him so honestly what’s the difference anymore lol 

The fumbled snap and missed throw to Davis which was a good read didn’t really strike me as hero ball.  The first int was fine it was just a long punt on third and long that the jets honestly should’ve just knocked down. 

that second pick was pretty hero ball-ish though.  Without hero ball I think we get shut out in this one but it handed some points to the jets also 

honestly what pissed me off the most today was josh getting scared…he clearly  missed that throw to Knox in ot because sauce was somewhat close in coverage and he was rattled.  Like if you’re a gunslinger at least keep your head up and fight on a tough night 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, sven233 said:

There's a lot to be said about this game......and everyone is saying it.

But man, would you rather be the Bills and just lose an awful games or would you rather be the Jets, win the game, but lose your HOF QB for the season.  I bet if you ask the coach of the Jets, he'd rather have Rodgers under center next week than winning tonight.

The Jets won the battle, but probably lost any chance of winning anything meaningful this season and maybe next season as well. 

Good point but that really doesn't make me feel any better. I know it's week one but I gotta see something that indicates this team is SB caliber. They will have time to prove or disprove themselves. 

4 minutes ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

Pegula is a seemingly decent but soft corporate type with a lot of money. This team needs a well established football executive who can hire their own coach and make all decisions with minimal ownership input. Otherwise you end up with Rex Ryan.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I did see a lot of Allen with happy feet and not trusting his pocket. 

Perhaps a more knowledgeable fan can give their assessment. 

Seemed to me he was good with taking the check downs early but got more frustrated with them as time went on.

The INTs were all on him IMO.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.