Random talking head says something about the Bills

Simon

5 hours ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

My comment was not about whether KC wins or not. They just got roasted by the freaking Denver Broncos. It happens. I expect them to beat Miami Sunday.

They have a very well-balanced team despite the fact they don't have a "rebuilt" WR corps.

You don't think the Dolphins will beat them? 

10 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

That's not the argument that Cowheard is making. He's talking about "Identity." He's been talking about this for years, but it's all a tautology. It's something like "teams that win a lot have the identity of winning." Also, Cowherd along with the majority of TBD, is a walking, talking (typing), ball of confirmation bias. He makes a take (in this case years ago) and seeks all information to confirm that take and rejects any information that would refute that take. Oh, and just for reference, the Cincinnati Bengals two highest players outside of Joe Burrow play on defense. What's their identity?  

BTW, the Bills had an identity; Josh Allen playing hero ball and carrying the team. Cowherd complained about that, saying that the Bills needed to establish a running game. Now that they are trying to do that, they lack an identity. I don't know what McDermott said about Colin in the past, but it seems personal.

That's fair. What's also fair is lots of media will continue to take shots at Buffalo so long as they continue to disappoint in the playoffs. Colin is just one of many. Winning is the best way to silence the critics. 

The Chargers have a reputation of losing games, choking games, and poor coaching. Seems like valid criticism.

The Bills have the reputation of failing, disappointing, and not advancing far enough in the playoffs. Seems like valid criticism. 

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

No.  The Dolphins don't beat good teams, they get T-rolled by them.

Well at least they beat down bad teams. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

There is some truth to it but equally.... there are some bits that he is just wrong about. 

1. The Bills have been constantly rebuilding their defensive line. And with expensive pieces too. That has never been nailed and that is on Brandon Beane. Way too many misses.

2. I don't think the Bills have lacked identity for 7 years. They have lacked it since about the middle of last season, especially on offense. 

3. Beane's comments are in the context of losing some pieces and that cannot be overlooked. No team has more cap dollars on IR than the Bills. 

4. Kyle Shanhan's teams are decidedly not "smart situationally." In fact as is under discussion elsewhere they are 1-31 when trailing by 3 in the 4th. What Kyle Shanhan's team are is a playground bully who will pummel you for 3 quarters. But if you can be fast and keep moving and avoiding the big hits and get San Francisco into the 4th? You can beat them. And actually his offense's identity since losing two all pros has been scoring 17 points per game.

What he is right about:

1. When you have Josh Allen the bar is Championships. 

2. The Bills have had more continuity generally than some of those other teams (I am not sold that is actually a good thing). 

3. Sean McDermott has had 7 year and that in the modern NFL is a long time with one championship game appearance. The clock is ticking. 

Even if we take away year before josh and Josh's rookie year. He's had 5 real seasons with an elite QB and no championships. Clock is most definitely ticking. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, 26TrapDraw said:

Even if we take away year before josh and Josh's rookie year. He's had 5 real seasons with an elite QB and no championships. Clock is most definitely ticking. 

It took elway 15 years to win his first and he played in a league that was much tougher on QBs. We have a strong possibility of Josh being great for 10 more years, possibly more, and he has only been good for 3 full seasons, let's not pretend that in 2019 he was a top 5 QB. 

8 minutes ago, 26TrapDraw said:

Josh wasn't elite in 2019. Not close. It is 4 with an elite QB - 20, 21, 22 and this year. 

But regardless no debate the clock is ticking. I do think they haven't had a lot of luck the last two years, especially with injuries. And luck plays such a big part.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 1

Just now, Orlando Tim said:

It took elway 15 years to win his first and he played in a league that was much tougher on QBs. We have a strong possibility of Josh being great for 10 more years, possibly more, and he has only been good for 3 full seasons, let's not pretend that in 2019 he was a top 5 QB. 

ok then 4 years of him being elite. DO you think in Today's instant gratification NFL he'll get that much leash? yeah no chance. But since I've waited 35 years what's a few more

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 26TrapDraw said:

ok then 4 years of him being elite. DO you think in Today's instant gratification NFL he'll get that much leash? yeah no chance. But since I've waited 35 years what's a few more

Who is going to pull Josh if he is playing well? He will be 40, barring injury, before he loses his fastball. McDermott will be fired before Josh is removed when healthy

On 9/8/2023 at 5:44 PM, Simon said:

Since we don't need a new thread every time some needy media personality says something to draw attention to themselves, I'm just creating this thread to have a place to drop them.

Heard this guy Simon say that the Bills needed more bad ass so they signed three badasses...Thought it was good analysis.  I am not sucking up to a moderator.

• Haha (+1) 1

“Random talking heads”. - Cowhert take that was posted was brilliant and spot on. Now thanks to our genius moderator, it’s very difficult to find. That random talking head makes millions of dollars talking sports, and his takes are way more intelligent than 99% of the posts here. And certainly more intelligent than this moderator.

“Random talking heads”. - Cowhert take that was posted was brilliant and spot on. Now thanks to our genius moderator, it’s very difficult to find. That random talking head makes millions of dollars talking sports, and his takes are way more intelligent than 99% of the posts here. And certainly more intelligent than this moderator.

50 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

Who is going to pull Josh if he is playing well? He will be 40, barring injury, before he loses his fastball. McDermott will be fired before Josh is removed when healthy

You're not wrong odds are they will win one with Josh as QB. the problem is I doubt it's under McDermott. I just don't think he's a good enough coach. he's too conservative  IMHO.

22 minutes ago, WIDE LEFT said:

So a guy that makes millions of dollars talking sports is "difficult to find"?

Maybe you should work on your internet skilz.

You should definitely dial it back with calling other members of this community stupid.

• Agree 1

In addition to all of the critical coaching failures in high leverage moments in close games, I don't think we talk enough about the Bills falling into a rut for several games in a row every single year under McDermott. It's uncanny. Other contenders have bad games, not bad months. Every year one bad loss spirals into several games of ineptitude, and those bad streaks have kept us out of the #1 seed multiple times. We just got through one such streak, and it came during a soft period when we should have been stacking wins to guarantee a playoff spot.

At some point isn't the head coach responsible for that repeated failure? Coaching isn't just about scheme or game planning, it's about managing the players. That's not something you can really measure objectively, but clearly McDermott has a hard time keeping the team's emotions and/or focus under control for an entire season.

I just don't know how we'll ever win a Super Bowl with a coach that has a habit of poor decisions in critical moments and runs a team susceptible to bad streaks. That is not a recipe for success.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

@NateGearySports just reminded the WGR audience that **no head coach/QB combo has won their first Super Bowl after 5+ years together.** I have been saying this. We need to shout it from the rooftops until Pegula fires Sean McDermott and saves Josh Allen's prime. #BillsMafia  

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli
  • Like (+1) 3

• Giuseppe Tognarelli changed the title to As a reminder: Sean McDermott won't be the first coach in NFL history...
On 11/3/2023 at 2:49 PM, HappyDays said:

In addition to all of the critical coaching failures in high leverage moments in close games, I don't think we talk enough about the Bills falling into a rut for several games in a row every single year under McDermott. It's uncanny. Other contenders have bad games, not bad months. Every year one bad loss spirals into several games of ineptitude, and those bad streaks have kept us out of the #1 seed multiple times. We just got through one such streak, and it came during a soft period when we should have been stacking wins to guarantee a playoff spot.

At some point isn't the head coach responsible for that repeated failure? Coaching isn't just about scheme or game planning, it's about managing the players. That's not something you can really measure objectively, but clearly McDermott has a hard time keeping the team's emotions and/or focus under control for an entire season.

I just don't know how we'll ever win a Super Bowl with a coach that has a habit of poor decisions in critical moments and runs a team susceptible to bad streaks. That is not a recipe for success.

There was a point during the first half when the Bengals attempted the long field goal that hit the right upright. Then the whistles blew.    It’s telling that the first thing I thought of was that McD called another of his ill timed timeouts before the snap.  

Overall, the Bengals just looked like a more well oiled machine.  Need a first down play on 3rd and 7, they get it.  Need a stop on 3rd and 2, they get it.   Bills are more haphazard.  A good play puts them in a good situation.  Then they find a way to lose that advantage.  They are also undisciplined in getting untimely unsportsmanlike penalties after making a good play on 3rd down.

On 9/8/2023 at 8:07 PM, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

This is actually getting absurd. Among much more, Brooks says he has a hard time envisioning us making the playoffs.

So many problems he mentions here as his premise are, in my opinion, baseless.

That Bengals loss seems to have done a real number on everyone not named Kyle Brandt or Peter King.

https://www.nfl.com/news/aaron-rodgers-less-packers-have-sleeper-potential-in-nfc-while-bills-look-like-p

Yep. Really absurd. 

5 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

@NateGearySports just reminded the WGR audience that **no head coach/QB combo has won their first Super Bowl after 5+ years together.** I have been saying this. We need to shout it from the rooftops until Pegula fires Sean McDermott and saves Josh Allen's prime. #BillsMafia  

I didn't need 5 years to see head coaching mediocrity.  I saw it in Houston,  and it's been popping up regularly ever since.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I didn't need 5 years to see head coaching mediocrity.  I saw it in Houston,  and it's been popping up regularly ever since.

People seem to forget that playoff loss.  It’s been a problem for years.  13 seconds should have been the epiphany moment.

• Agree 2

Cowherd featured the Bills on his monologue today.  Said McDermott has showed his ceiling.  Compares him to Chuck Knox and Marty Schottenheimer.  Credits McD for organizing things and getting Bills on the right track but he's not a visionary, no run game AGAIN,  and the Bills are not really good at anything.  Can't believe with Josh Allen we are one game ahead of the pathetic Raiders and behind Zach Wilson.  He strongly suggests the Bills move off him and in a different direction.

Let's remember, when Rex Ryan was here before the drought ended the Bills actually had the #1 rushing attack in the NFL for 2 straight years.  Kinda' crazy.  Obviously we could not keep that going with McD and Allen.

• Like (+1) 1