Bernard, Torrence and Benford all officially starters

Process

Bernard was expected, and I will be rooting for him to rise to the challenge, but I have a feeling it will be short lived and Kirksey will take over in the next few weeks.  

Seemed like Dane was leading for CB2 most of camp and preseason, so the late push by Benford was a bit of a surprise and considering Dane had a great camp, that is encouraging that Benford did enough to still over take him.  I still think Elam gets mixed in when they are going man/press type coverages or need more speed on the field, but what a story for Benford to be a late pick and over take a quality vet and a first round pick.  

O'Cyrus was a no brainer, he looked the part all camp and preseason.  Really looking forward to seeing him in action and he is going to get thrown into the fire out the gate with his Jets front line.  

• Like (+1) 15
  • Agree 13

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Bernard was expected, and I will be rooting for him to rise to the challenge, but I have a feeling it will be short lived and Kirksey will take over in the next few weeks.  

Why was Bernard expected?  Was Dodson so bad that anyone who was healthy would get the start ahead of him?  Did I miss an announcement?   Or was it just your expectation?

I thought the position was still an open competition.

And, I agree, I think Kirksey will play as soon as he is healthy and has learned the job.

• Like (+1) 2

Three different levels of excitement for these announcements.

1 Torrence. Ecstatic. This was a guy I wanted Beane to draft. He's here and ready to see what he can do against a tough front 7. (Pssst...this is McD starting a rookie)

2. Benford. I like it. I like a good longshot story and for as much as Elam didn't take the CB2 job...Benford did. Rooting for the guy.

3. Bernard. Fear of the unknown. If you said last year he would be our game 1 MLB I would have been really skeptical. I do wish we could have seen him in some preseason action to get an idea of what we will get. But really, I view this as last man standing from a horrible MLB competition that is keep in Kirksey's eventual spot warm until he's full speed.

• Like (+1) 9

Just now, Shaw66 said:

Why was Bernard expected?  Was Dodson so bad that anyone who was healthy would get the start ahead of him?  Did I miss an announcement?   Or was it just your expectation?

And, I agree, I think Kirksey will play as soon as he is healthy and has learned the job.

Agree, the other two yes. But I was not expecting Bernard to start, especially considering time missed due to injury.

A positive development. I'd like to see what he's got so we know if we have something there for the future.

Bernard is terrible. He's undersized and for being so you would expect him to be super athletic which he's not. If he would have played in the preseason we would have all seen that. I definitely don't like the idea of them experimenting with him in a live game. This is going to be bad. Hopefully Kirksey will be available but I doubt it 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I meant expected since the last preseason game as Dodson played himself out of it IMHO.

• Agree 1

Bernard is scary without seeing him all preseason, that is not a good sign to me.  That position is going to be an adventure.

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if AJ Klein takes over for a Bernard by the 2nd Qtr of that  jets game. 

The guy not on the roster or practice squad?

9 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Uhhhhh I have some bad news for you lol

Back injury

7 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Bernard is scary without seeing him all preseason, that is not a good sign to me.  That position is going to be an adventure.

The guy not on the roster or practice squad?

Just now, Limeaid said:

AJ Klein is a free agent - he was cut and a shame since kept the DoDodson.

oh whoops. I thought we already signed Klein back. I figured he was coming back after cut-down day, but maybe with Kirksey, they decided to wait and see on Klein. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.