2023 Bills Practice Squad Complete

ngbills

53 Man Roster

QB: Josh Allen, Kyle Allen (2)

RB: James Cook, Latavius Murray, Damien Harris, Reggie Gilliam (FB) (4)

WR: Stefon Diggs, Gabe Davis, Trent Sherfield, Deonte Harty, Khalil Shakir (5)

TE: Dawson Knox, Dalton Kincaid, Quintin Morris (3)

OL: Dion Dawkins, Connor McGovern, Mitch Morse, O’Cyrus Torrence, Spencer Brown, Ryan Bates, David Edwards, Ryan Van Demark, Alec Anderson, Germain Ifedi (10)

EDGE: Leonard Floyd, Greg Rousseau, A.J. Epenesa, Shaq Lawson, Kingsley Jonathan (5)

DT: Ed Oliver, DaQuan Jones, Tim Settle, Poona Ford, Jordan Phillips (5)

LB: Matt Milano, Tyrel Dodson, Terrel Bernard, Dorian Williams, Tyler Matakevich (5)

CB: Tre’Davious White, Dane Jackson, Taron Johnson, Christian Benford, Kaiir Elam, Siran Neal (6)

S: Micah Hyde, Jordan Poyer, Taylor Rapp, Damar Hamlin, Cam Lewis (5)

SPEC: Tyler Bass, Sam Martin; Red Ferguson (3)

IR: Von Miller (PUP), Nyheim Hines (NFI), Justin Shorter, Baylon Spector, Matt Barkley, Zach Davidson, Tommy Doyle

PS: Andy Isabella, Tyrell Shaver, Marcell Ateman, Bryan Thompson, Joel Wilson, Richard Gouraige, Kevin Jarvis, Greg Mancz, Ty Johnson, Christian Kirksey, Ja'Marcus Ingram, Kyron Brown, Kameron Cline, Eli Ankou, Kendal Vickers (15)

Edited by ngbills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Out of curiosity, do you know if practice squad players salaries, count against the cap?

Yes.  The Bills have to be under the cap for 53 man roster, practice squad, and I believe IR counts too. 

Edit:  this explains salary cap pretty well

https://russellstreetreport.com/salarycap/nfl-salary-cap-faqs/

Do all player count against their team’s Salary Cap?

Yes, once the season has started, all players – whether on the 53-man roster, Injured Reserve (IR), Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) or the Practice Squad (PS) – count against the team’s Salary Cap.  The only players that do not count against the Salary Cap are players who are on one of the NFL’s exempt lists.

FWIW, players on injured reserve may or may not count their full salary, depending upon how their contract is written.  This is called a "split contract" and one source says about 40% of current NFL players have a split.  Explanation here:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2023/5/30/23742416/explaining-how-the-nfl-works-part-5-minimum-salaries-injured-reserve-down-salaries-steelers

Minimum “down” contracts

For many NFL players, it is in their contract where they have a “split salary” which comes into play if they are placed on IR. Unless there is a provision where the player receives their full pay, something often included in contracts for higher draft picks and salaries significantly above the league minimum, a player is not paid at a full rate while on IR. This is also considered their “down” salary. For 2023, the “down” salaries are as follows:

0: $450,000
1: $475,000
2: $500,000
3: $525,000
4-6: $550,000
7+: $600,000

A "down" salary of $450,000 for a rookie translates to $25,000/week vs. $41,667/week at rookie minimum

Likewise for year 1, it's $26,389/week vs. $48,333/week.

The team is not obligated to play salary to players on the NFI list, but may choose to do so.

Edited by Beck Water

So we are about §1M under the cap with 53 man roster right now, and it means we are about $4.5M over once Ferguson, Ifedi and PS players are accounted for.

Since we also need soom room when season starts, I'd say we need to clear $6-7M within next week.

Beane has some work to do :)

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

53 Man Roster

OL: Dion Dawkins, Connor McGovern, Mitch Morse, O’Cyrus Torrence, Spencer Brown, Ryan Bates, David Edwards, Ryan Van Demark, Alec Anderson, Germain Ifedi (10)

EDGE: Leonard Floyd, Greg Rousseau, A.J. Epenesa, Shaq Lawson, Kingsley Jonathan (5)

LB: Matt Milano, Tyrel Dodson, Terrel Bernard, Dorian Williams, Tyler Matakevich (5)

CB: Tre’Davious White, Dane Jackson, Taron Johnson, Christian Benford, Kaiir Elam, Siran Neal (6)

IR: Von Miller (PUP), Nyheim Hines (NFI), Justin Shorter, Baylon Spector, Matt Barkley, Zach Davidson, Tommy Doyle

PS: Andy Isabella, Tyrell Shaver, Marcell Ateman, Bryan Thompson, Joel Wilson, Richard Gouraige, Kevin Jarvis, Greg Mancz, Ty Johnson, Christian Kirksey, Ja'Marcus Ingram, Kyron Brown, Kameron Cline, DJ Dale, Eli Ankou, Kendal Vickers (16)

DJ Dale was not on the confirmed Bills list.  I think he was reported in error.

7 minutes ago, ngbills said:

53 Man Roster

PS: Andy Isabella, Tyrell Shaver, Marcell Ateman, Bryan Thompson, Joel Wilson, Richard Gouraige, Kevin Jarvis, Greg Mancz, Ty Johnson, Christian Kirksey, Ja'Marcus Ingram, Kyron Brown, Kameron Cline, DJ Dale, Eli Ankou, Kendal Vickers (16)

On the practice squad, Kirksey and DJ Dale have not been confirmed by the Bills

F4zjE4JWYAAeW6p.thumb.jpg.40f605150d46c1e7f1f91f299c133a0e.jpg

Also, I don't know if this is petty or what, but we have 24 offensive players and 26 defensive players.  I think the Bills deferred making decisions at DB, and maybe at LB, into the first 4 weeks of the regular season.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

Yes.  The Bills have to be under the cap for 53 man roster, practice squad, and I believe IR counts too. 

Sportrac has us $2.5M under. Does not look 100% updated yet, but close. Sucks to see Doyle, Barkley, Davidson cost us over $2M. Hines is another $3.5M. Add in Saffold, Howard, Quess its another $3.6M...thats like $10M. 

11 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

DJ Dale was not on the confirmed Bills list.  I think he was reported in error.

Dale was reported by NFLDraftDiamonds, which is small-school scout Damond Talbot's account.

Talbot later walked it back:

For what it's worth.  Talbot knows many of these guys, but what was actually offered or just put out as "we'd like to have you depending on how things fall", who knows?

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

• ngbills changed the title to 2023 Bills Practice Squad - 1 Spot Left
2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I'm not entirely ginned up on the PS rules (actually I try but they give me a headache).

However, the Bills placed Barkley on season-ending IR yesterday.

They can release him with an injury settlement, but then they are barred from signing him for 6 weeks AFTER the # of weeks in the injury settlement.  PRETTY SURE that includes a signing to the PS

Yea I'd missed Barkley going on IR.

7 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Think id rather have Jace Sternberger on the PS. But this Wilson kid must have shown the coaches a little something this offseason.

7 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Think id rather have Jace Sternberger on the PS. But this Wilson kid must have shown the coaches a little something this offseason.

Sternberger was a turd trying to catch anything. No thanks on that idea. 

I just looked at the final practice squad for the first time today and I'm shocked to see AJ Klein isn't there. Unless I'm missing it? He was taking 1st team reps for us just two weeks ago, and now just like that he is completely gone. I thought for sure they would keep him on the PS if for nothing else than an emergency option that knows the system.

• Agree 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

I just looked at the final practice squad for the first time today and I'm shocked to see AJ Klein isn't there. Unless I'm missing it? He was taking 1st team reps for us just two weeks ago, and now just like that he is completely gone. I thought for sure they would keep him on the PS if for nothing else than an emergency option that knows the system.

Agree.  I was expecting the same.

Will see how they handle Kirksey. But wouldnt surprise me if he's signed to the 53, after week 1 (saving on guaranteed $s/cap).  

At whatever point Kirksey is promoted to the 53, be interesting what their corresponding roster move is.  I'd predict Dodson is let go, and maybe then Klein is brought back to the P/S.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.