Notable cuts around the league

Desert Bills Fan

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea he is but judging by pre-season not a very good one. 

For the "special teams don't matter" crowd it has been a tough pre-season watching Shorter struggle to fill Taiwan Jones's left gunner spot leading to two big returns and two weeks in a row seeing backups blow in the wing protection role that Gilliam does so well leading to punt blocks. 

I think that with the new kickoff rules, we'll see a lot fewer returns this year. 

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

I want the Bills to sign him to give @BADOLBILZa heart attack.

Lil' Dummy!

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/29/2023 at 10:05 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

There might be a chance on one of these backup OTs. I dont see them bringing in a new MLB to (compete to) start this close to the season. Unless they can have Hyde or someone call the defense. But I dont think McD does that.

With the Ifedi and Kirksey signings, I love being wrong!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Both Bills slot receivers last year(Crowder, McKenzie) didn’t make their respective teams and are FAs… goes to show just how trash the Bills WR room was last year aside from Diggs… and some still argued it was a top 10 unit prior to last season.😅

Most people argued that because of the results at the end of the prior season. We all saw how Gabe Davis came through in the playoffs, and expected a big season from him as the number two wide receiver. Isaiah McKenzie had shown promise the year before as well. The pessimists won out though, and were proven correct that the depth in the wide receiver room was lacking in the talent was stacked at the very top end. Namely, one player. 

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Both Bills slot receivers last year(Crowder, McKenzie) didn’t make their respective teams and are FAs… goes to show just how trash the Bills WR room was last year aside from Diggs… and some still argued it was a top 10 unit prior to last season.😅

Add in Beasley, too and it's amazing!

20 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Then it should be too much of a stretch to say this year's room is in all likelihood, better.🤷🏼‍♂️

19 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Then it should be too much of a stretch to say this year's room is in all likelihood, better.🤷🏼‍♂️

on paper, which is all we are doing to compare the two rosters crowder and mckenzie blow harty and sherfield out of the water.

On 8/27/2023 at 12:57 PM, FLFan said:

Since there is an extremely low likelihood that a competent and experienced MLB is somehow going to be available after cutdown, and since even then it would take a minimum of three or four weeks to get that guy up to speed and ready to QB the defense, I am very confident the  Bills’ starting MLB is currently on the team.  We may not like it, but that is the away it is. 

Enter Christian Kirksey! 😃

• Haha (+1) 1

Steelers signed another pretty good corner in anthony brown.

that defense is going to be tough to deal with and I hope buffalo doesn't have to go there in the playoffs.

Although tomlin is 3-7 in the last ten years of the playoffs.

56 minutes ago, BillsFooteball said:

Enter Christian Kirksey! 😃

😂  OK.   Fair enough, looks like a good pull for Beane,  but I will point out that he has been an OLB not MLB, is coming off an injury, and he will remain on the practice squad in all likelihood for several weeks at least while he learns the system and the calls.  I am optimistic he is an improvement but we will see.  In the meantime it is still the Dodson/Bernard show. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

I think that with the new kickoff rules, we'll see a lot fewer returns this year. 

Maybe. Pre-season hasn't borne that out but then you have returners competing for jobs. Even if there are fewer returns while that might downgrade gunners on the totem pole it doesn't apply all STers.

6 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

We all saw how Gabe Davis came through in the playoffs, and expected a big season from him as the number two wide receiver. Isaiah McKenzie had shown promise the year before as well. The pessimists won out though, and were proven correct that the depth in the wide receiver room was lacking in the talent was stacked at the very top end. Namely, one player. 

You all saw one game each.........just one........from Gabe and McKenzie and assumed that they just needed more opportunity.   That's not optimism that's delusional.  Two weeks before his 4 TD game in KC Gabe had one of the worst showings by a Bills receiver in recent memory with just 3 catches on 14 targets game against the Jets.   And McKenzie had proven over and over that the only thing harder than his hands was his head.    It wasn't pessimism to expect that those players would continue to be what they had always been.   

4 hours ago, FLFan said:

😂  OK.   Fair enough, looks like a good pull for Beane,  but I will point out that he has been an OLB not MLB, is coming off an injury, and he will remain on the practice squad in all likelihood for several weeks at least while he learns the system and the calls.  I am optimistic he is an improvement but we will see.  In the meantime it is still the Dodson/Bernard show. 

Unless Bernard comes out of the gate smoking, I see Kirksey starting by week three

The only reason why he is not on the regular roster is he need some time to learn the defense

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You all saw one game each.........just one........from Gabe and McKenzie and assumed that they just needed more opportunity.   That's not optimism that's delusional.  Two weeks before his 4 TD game in KC Gabe had one of the worst showings by a Bills receiver in recent memory with just 3 catches on 14 targets game against the Jets.   And McKenzie had proven over and over that the only thing harder than his hands was his head.    It wasn't pessimism to expect that those players would continue to be what they had always been.   

Well, at least I’m happy. I can come into season with rose coloured glasses, and if the Bills ***** the bed, then I’m still wearing rose colour glasses. Yours are seemingly always covered in *****.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Is this another post where you try to prove you were right but leave it vague enough so you can deny it?

On 8/29/2023 at 5:00 PM, LEBills said:

Some team with a higher priority than the Bills will pick him up. He had a great Senior Bowl. Surprised to see a rebuilding team like the Colts cut a fifth round pick.

Chiefs claimed him.  As far as I know the Bills had a higher claim than the Chiefs. 

42 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Says the guy yapping about Jasson Dominguez.

51 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Unless Bernard comes out of the gate smoking, I see Kirksey starting by week three

The only reason why he is not on the regular roster is he need some time to learn the defense

Beane made a it point in his press conf today to say that Kirksey has played in this system before and he's "by all accounts a bright guy".

I think this supports you guess of Kirksey starting sooner rather than later. 

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Beane made a it point in his press conf today to say that Kirksey has played in this system before and he's "by all accounts a bright guy".

I think this supports you guess of Kirksey starting sooner rather than later. 

Yup.  I'm still saying opening day starter.  If there are some hiccups, better to get them out of the way sooner than later.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.