Bills linked to Jason Peters

DJB

1 hour ago, bigK14094 said:

Sorry, that argument doesn't play.  When a contract is signed, its a deal.  Upside and downside risk for each side.  Peters could have gotten hurt for the last 2 years on the contract and still got paid..  That would have been a big loss to the Bills.  Expecting a new deal becasue it worked out better because of his performance, well, that was his downside and the Bills gain.  He voided that contract w bad attitude and great dsirespect for what a contract is.  Its always "fair" at the time of signing.  It can go either way after that in terms of who benefits.  Again, he broke trust with the Bills mafia.  I have considered him w/o character since that episode.

In Peters case the change in job status warranted a change in contract, both times. If any situation caused the Ralph is cheap talk, this was the time. 

At the time there was a lot of  "do you think you know more than the Bills do" on the old message board. I admit I did think I knew more than the Bills did. I knew more than the Bills did for 17 long years.

If you lowball a player of Peters talent, then you will get a team of low talent. That is disrespect for the Bills mafia.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Sorry, that argument doesn't play.  When a contract is signed, its a deal.  Upside and downside risk for each side.  Peters could have gotten hurt for the last 2 years on the contract and still got paid..  That would have been a big loss to the Bills.  Expecting a new deal becasue it worked out better because of his performance, well, that was his downside and the Bills gain.  He voided that contract w bad attitude and great dsirespect for what a contract is.  Its always "fair" at the time of signing.  It can go either way after that in terms of who benefits.  Again, he broke trust with the Bills mafia.  I have considered him w/o character since that episode.

That's a Hall of Famer w/o character.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Actually a non-guaranteed contract is kind of one sided. Peters just made himself a side. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 8/21/2023 at 10:12 PM, Fan in Chicago said:

If thats how the cap calculation works, then sure. I can only hope that McBeane have a gentlemen's agreement with a post-dated contract already signed. 

I will feel much better about the OL if he was on the team.  

He would be in camp if that was the deal.  Then he would be cut an then signed again after week 1. 

No way there is an agreement in place. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

This stinks of old guy 'athletes make too much' attitude, while completely ignoring the DEMAND and ability to generate that money. Usually this voice thinks they're standing up to the big man, when in reality, they're standing up for the enormous man (billionaires, with a B).

"That's what a contract is", nonsense. What happens if a player looks like ass, does the team just pay out huge $$ while they're buried on depth chart? Nope! They cut them. It's a two way street. If a contract stinks, for anybody, the reality is one side or the other will alter it.

If teams want to get players to honor their full contract no matter what, then they can talk to the NFLPA about fully guaranteed contracts.... oh wait, that won't happen in a billion years. You're arguing for the billionaires to have the advantage of a one way street lol 🤡

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

Actually a non-guaranteed contract is kind of one sided. Peters just made himself a side. 

Everyone has the option to take the best offer. If that is the best offer, it’s their decision. That’s why they all want $$$ upfront and guarantees, but if nobody else is offering more, the market has spoken. 

4 hours ago, CouldBe said:

In Peters case the change in job status warranted a change in contract, both times. If any situation caused the Ralph is cheap talk, this was the time. 

At the time there was a lot of  "do you think you know more than the Bills do" on the old message board. I admit I did think I knew more than the Bills did. I knew more than the Bills did for 17 long years.

If you lowball a player of Peters talent, then you will get a team of low talent. That is disrespect for the Bills mafia.

Meh.  Eagles were 1-5 in playoff games with him as starter.  In 2017, they won 10 of their next 12 games, including the SB, with Peters's backup in his spot.   In his 12 years there, the Eagles had 7 winning seasons.  When he missed the season in 2012, they won 4 games.  When he played half the season in. 2020, the won 4 games (1 with him starting).

The Bills would have had no different history had he finished his career there.

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

Did anyone sign him yet?

He's waiting until week 18.....

27 minutes ago, Augie said:

Everyone has the option to take the best offer. If that is the best offer, it’s their decision. That’s why they all want $$$ upfront and guarantees, but if nobody else is offering more, the market has spoken. 

And Peters spoke back.  He did not do anything unethical at all. 

• Agree 3

Just now, Chaos said:

And Peters spoke back.  He did not do anything unethical at all. 

I didn’t LIKE it, but I had no question of ethics. What does the contract both sides signed allow? That’s all that really counts when you get down to it.

Loyalty to your team is never expected when athletes talk about their money. They always say it’s a business, you do what you think is best for you and your family. And I won’t even kid about loyalty to fans. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, CouldBe said:

Considering the "old message board" was closed out and patients let out of asylum without having psychiatrists visit them regularly to update their medication.

Players are demoted for lack of effort often and do not pay back money already guaranteed so it should be same for players who perform more than which is expected.  Maybe he should have complained to agent that he did not have incentive clause written in contract.

37 minutes ago, Doc said:

Did anyone sign him yet?

Social Security signed him as a spokesman.

8 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Considering the "old message board" was closed out and patients let out of asylum without having psychiatrists visit them regularly to update their medication.

Players are demoted for lack of effort often and do not pay back money already guaranteed so it should be same for players who perform more than which is expected.  Maybe he should have complained to agent that he did not have incentive clause written in contract.

I agree it was an asylum, There were no psychiatrists involved. At least in my case.

8 hours ago, CouldBe said:

Regardless of the fact Peters had a valid argument about the contract, the thing that turned me against him was when he essentially admitted that he was sulking on the field about it and it affected his play. HOF talent or not, have some pride and be a professional... or at least lie about it.

• Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.