Game Day Thread? Bills @ Steelers 8/19

EmotionallyUnstable

I missed the first half originally but just finished rewatching the starters. After watching I don’t think this is a big deal. 

Dodson is not a good MLB. On the TD run, the Dline did not keep him clean but he should have had that gap imo. Also doesn’t seem to know what to do while dropping in coverage. I think Bernard is the starter once he is healthy enough. 

We all gripe about the resources the Bills put into ST, but that long return was a result of Shorter and Rapp not keeping their lanes. Shorter got pushed way outside as the gunner and Rapp cut inside for some reason leaving a huge hole for Austin. 

I am no Spencer Brown fan, but the holding penalty play is the one bad play he had. He got called for the illegal block on the screen to Harty, and maybe it was, but I didn’t think it was an egregious play. But all together they did kill that drive. Dawkins got beat a few times, but I didn’t think he was awful either. Thought the rest of the line was pretty solid against a good Steelers front. 

Also, maybe I just didn’t see him out there but it felt like Knox did not play tonight. Some of the stuffs that Cook had was because of Gabe getting blown up by Minkah Fitzpatrick and Quentin Morris getting beat inside. Kincaid I thought did ok as a blocker in the few snaps. Having him and Knox may help things.

I do think the McGovern, Torrence (found him to be very good tonight!), and Kincaid are going to be very good for us this year.

I know it stinks to lose, even in preseason, but I didn’t really see anything that makes me think this team won’t be very good. I think this offense is going to be great if everyone (looking at you Gabe) can stay healthy and I think the MLB and ST issues will get less glaring the more the team plays together. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Airseven said:

It’s a preseason game with plenty of context and history behind it. 

I thought you were calling the preseason game historic but I think I'm grasping this word salad now. Yes, o-line is a problem, and the lack of depth is a frightening situation that is not a new issue.

Edited by Nelius

8 minutes ago, Nelius said:

What in the world is this stretch? seriously. would love to know the gymnastics behind this week 2 preseason game and what makes it more than a week 2 preseason game

For example, Elam took a bad PI and got physically dominated in the red zone by a second stringer. It’s not simply a “week 2 preseason game” knowing his past inconsistencies and the fact the coaches don’t yet trust him. In this case, his play tonight drives home the reality that the only remaining question about his status on this roster is whether he dresses for gamedays.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Overrated and obnoxious. Someone needs to get in his ear to get into better shape. 

Obnoxious is an interesting take and I don't really disagree. He stole that whole shnow thing from Hollow Da Don and then proceeded to beat it into the ground. 

Who could get in his ear though? Josh? Mitch? Kind of a weird situation where Dawkins is supposed to be one of the leaders that gets in peoples ears.

3 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

OT: Have you tries that Overpack'd or whatever thing? 3 each IPA, 2xIPA, Juicy, Hazy and Tropical IPA's. I thought that would last a little longer than it did, really good and good value.

I like the IPA my favorite is 2X IPA. Not a huge fan of their citrus beers. Harvest is a great choice especially for fall and football 😃

2 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Looks like Dawkins got away with one, otherwise he was beat (again) too. You can see #51, 4th round rookie Nick Herbig, get jerked back right after his spin.

Dion gave up 3 sacks and 30 pressures last year. And he's considered our best olineman. Starting Year 6 of a 25th ranked OL.

• Angry 1

1 hour ago, Nelius said:

I thought you were calling the preseason game historic but I think I'm grasping this word salad now. Yes, o-line is a problem, and the lack of depth is a frightening situation that is not a new issue.

Why did you edit your post instead of just replying to my response? 

39 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Why did you edit your post instead of just replying to my response? 

I edited while you were replying apparently, calm down maniac. I sincerely thought you were calling the game itself historic and edited once I figured out what you were saying. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Josh said it. “They wanted it.”

Let’s not sugarcoat it. The Steelers were embarrassed last year in the regular season. A lot of the same players still starting on that team. They wanted their revenge. They were fired up. You could see the difference. They wanted it.

Seem to have at least a game a year where a team wants it more than the Bills. At least this happened in pre-season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

Then why do they have an offensive line coach? He employs the line schemes according to Dorsey's play calling. 

And all the other offensive position coaches answer to Dorsey, it is on Dorsey, and is his responsibility to fix a problem with position coaches when they have issues getting results, that’s how a chain of command works. The other offensive coaches do not do their jobs in a vacuum. 

15 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

We were 13-3 last year.

I'll take that all day, everyday. Just give me a healthy team come playoff time.

I get it. We were 13-3 and that is fantastic. But towards the end we were not looking good, at all. Barely beat a Miami team with a backup QB and then got killed by Cincy. I know I may have overreacted but man... we looked brutal yesterday as starters.

Even Tua, who threw a pick on his 1st pass, recovered and orchestrated a fast-paced TD drive next series x 2.

15 hours ago, AmishRifle said:

I believe it is your “Christian Freakboy” turn of phrase that is uncalled for.  It wasn’t necessary or warranted.  Everything above that was ok.

Yes - I overeacted for sure. I was super pissed. I closed my laptop and walked away. I sure hope these boys can turn it around!

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

It’s not Kromer’s fault Dawkins continued to be fat and lazy in the off-season. 

He certainly doesn't look to be successful developing Brown. His unit last year certainly wasn't good.

Sure it's not all on him but I wouldn't call his short second time tenure a success. He was revered as a savior by many. He hasn't lived up to the hype thus far. Then again this might not be fair because of many factors. 

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

I’m surprised so many think we are just going to roll the Jets on opening night. 

I see an extremely physical Jets D getting ready to feast on our Oline. We can’t trust Dawkins or Brown.

It’s not naive to think that many teams in the AFC wil be able to play with us. the difference maker needs to be Josh..and once again we are going need  Josh to be Superman out there.. 

How many game changing ridiculous plays will Allen make just to be called back by another hold?

I’m at about. 6 confidence level that this team is ready for the environment that awaits. 

The Jets played the Bills fairly tight last season in both games, I thought it would be a tight one regardless of what happened in pre-season. I don't personally put too much stock in what happened against the Steelers. As far as the starters went the Bills defense let up a big play and the ST let up a big return. The offense was hurting itself badly with penalties and Dawkins bad play. But I don't expect the ST unit to be bad once all pieces are in place and I think the defense will hopefully be more sharpe once they play a more aggressive gameplan. 

My main concern with the offense is Dawkins and Brown and the lack of depth behind them. Brown actually didn't look bad against the Steelers from my eye test hopefully he is decent, but Dawkins looks slow. I heard how out of shape he has been looking but I never saw it manifest in live rounds so to speak. Seeing how slow off the jump he was really makes me concerned. Hopefully Dawkins with 3 weeks left to go in the season he can maybe get himself in better shape. I know 3 weeks isnt' a ton of time to get in shape but it is enough time to improve your conditioning by a considerable measure. 

If Dawkins can just give you what you got last year from him I am pretty comfortable with the offensive line generally speaking as I do think that even if Brown is bad they can work around it but if both tackles are bad that's going to cause a lot of issues and the Bills should make big moves to address it.

Edited by billsfan89

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The Jets played the Bills fairly tight last season in both games, I thought it would be a tight one regardless of what happened in pre-season. I don't personally put too much stock in what happened against the Steelers. As far as the starters went the Bills defense let up a big play and the ST let up a big return. The offense was hurting itself badly with penalties and Dawkins bad play. But I don't expect the ST unit to be bad once all pieces are in place and I think the defense will hopefully be more sharpe once they play a more aggressive gameplan. 

My main concern with the offense is Dawkins and Brown and the lack of depth behind them. Brown actually didn't look bad against the Steelers from my eye test hopefully he is decent, but Dawkins looks slow. I heard how out of shape he has been looking but I never saw it manifest in live rounds so to speak. Seeing how slow off the jump he was really makes me concerned. Hopefully Dawkins with 3 weeks left to go in the season he can maybe get himself in better shape. I know 3 weeks isnt' a ton of time to get in shape but it is enough time to improve your conditioning by a considerable measure. 

If Dawkins can just give you what you got last year from him I am pretty comfortable with the offensive line generally speaking as I do think that even if Brown is bad they can work around it but if both tackles are bad that's going to cause a lot of issues and the Bills should make big moves to address it.

Van Denmark has looked pretty good at LT. IOL is suddenly pretty deep. McGovern, Torrence, and 2 of Anderson, Bates, Edwards, along with Morse. It's the poor play of Dawkins added to uncertainty with Brown that elevates concern to urgency at OT.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Logic said:

That was the most painful preseason game watching experience I may have ever had.

If anyone read my pre-game post about the Kansas diner waitress named Marge, well...

Anyway...YES, it's true that the final scores of preseason games don't matter and that the schemes are vanilla. With that said, you'd like to see crisp execution, players winning matchups, some cohesion on offense and defense, and at the very least, A GENERAL DISPLAY OF COMPETENCE. Whatever that abomination I just watched was...it was the exact OPPOSITE of everything I just said.

I'm not an "overreact to the preseason" guy. I am also not a "nothing in the preseason matters at all" guy. I think preseason performance very much CAN be an omen of things to come. For years during the drought, the Bills would be awful in the preseason, and we'd all say "it's only preseason!", and lo and behold, they'd be awful in the regular season, too. Conversely, McDermott's squads have always looked pretty good in preseason. Well organized, executing well, winning matchups, etc, and then that would carry over to the regular season.

To overreact to this game would, of course, be foolish. To completely sweep it under the rug, though, and to pretend like it's not at least a little bit concerning...that seems just as foolish. This was U-G-L-Y you ain't got no alibi, ugly. Just bad in every way a thing can be bad. I want the last three hours of my summer Saturday back.

They are tanking for next seasons draft and a RT.
Obviously LOL

As i mentioned much earlier i turned it off by halftime. Something was rotten in that kitchen yesterday.

and yes it certainly does mean something. 
McBeane needs to repair the sails ,change tack and head back upwind.

reading all this assures me i was correct to bail out when i did

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Josh said it. “They wanted it.”

Let’s not sugarcoat it. The Steelers were embarrassed last year in the regular season. A lot of the same players still starting on that team. They wanted their revenge. They were fired up. You could see the difference. They wanted it.

yes they did

So did the Bengals
How do you fix that ?

Bills got flummoxed again and did not recover.

Its just preseason. But its a concern 

10 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

And all the other offensive position coaches answer to Dorsey, it is on Dorsey, and is his responsibility to fix a problem with position coaches when they have issues getting results, that’s how a chain of command works. The other offensive coaches do not do their jobs in a vacuum. 

Should i chime in with my biased dislike of Dorsey, and the choosing of him as OC during a critical period of Josh Allen's career ?
cuz i will
 But as mentioned. Its preseason and whatever

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Looks like Dawkins got away with one, otherwise he was beat (again) too. You can see #51, 4th round rookie Nick Herbig, get jerked back right after his spin.

Dion gave up 3 sacks and 30 pressures last year. And he's considered our best olineman. Starting Year 6 of a 25th ranked OL.

Re quoting from above ^^

Edited by 3rdand12

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.