Game Day Thread? Bills @ Steelers 8/19

EmotionallyUnstable

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The Jets played the Bills fairly tight last season in both games, I thought it would be a tight one regardless of what happened in pre-season. I don't personally put too much stock in what happened against the Steelers. As far as the starters went the Bills defense let up a big play and the ST let up a big return. The offense was hurting itself badly with penalties and Dawkins bad play. But I don't expect the ST unit to be bad once all pieces are in place and I think the defense will hopefully be more sharpe once they play a more aggressive gameplan. 

My main concern with the offense is Dawkins and Brown and the lack of depth behind them. Brown actually didn't look bad against the Steelers from my eye test hopefully he is decent, but Dawkins looks slow. I heard how out of shape he has been looking but I never saw it manifest in live rounds so to speak. Seeing how slow off the jump he was really makes me concerned. Hopefully Dawkins with 3 weeks left to go in the season he can maybe get himself in better shape. I know 3 weeks isnt' a ton of time to get in shape but it is enough time to improve your conditioning by a considerable measure. 

If Dawkins can just give you what you got last year from him I am pretty comfortable with the offensive line generally speaking as I do think that even if Brown is bad they can work around it but if both tackles are bad that's going to cause a lot of issues and the Bills should make big moves to address it.

What moves are out there? I think the Bills management rolled the dice here. Hoping for a steady to good Dawkins and a much improved and healthy Brown. I suppose both can still happen. Yesterday, doesn't bode lots of confidence though. 

Beane upgraded the interior of the line but the tackles are a huge question. Year after year we fans seemed concerned about the oline. Getting frustrated when you see the likes of KC and Philly being so successful. 

I thought the game was won in the trenches so long as you have a franchise QB. Maybe, that's old school thinking and incorrect. 

4 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Van Denmark has looked pretty good at LT. IOL is suddenly pretty deep. McGovern, Torrence, and 2 of Anderson, Bates, Edwards, along with Morse. It's the poor play of Dawkins added to uncertainty with Brown that elevates concern to urgency at OT.

I think it's pretty hard to win games if you have two weak tackles. 

6 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

The question is whether that is an accurate and perduring condition for this year. Can Dawkins raise his game to at least adequate? Is Brown better than some of his detractors claim, or at least, capable of not becoming a consistent liability? Maybe Van Denmark steps in and performs well at LT. I don't think one preseason game answers those questions. Concern is warranted, obviously, but it would be presumptuous to say we are doomed to play with "two weak tackles."

13 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

What moves are out there? I think the Bills management rolled the dice here. Hoping for a steady to good Dawkins and a much improved and healthy Brown. I suppose both can still happen. Yesterday, doesn't bode lots of confidence though. 

Beane upgraded the interior of the line but the tackles are a huge question. Year after year we fans seemed concerned about the oline. Getting frustrated when you see the likes of KC and Philly being so successful. 

I thought the game was won in the trenches so long as you have a franchise QB. Maybe, that's old school thinking and incorrect. 

remind me which oppo team you’re a fan of again? Was it Pats or Phins?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.