Impressions from game

JMM

2 hours ago, Dopey said:

You asked the question. Assuming it wasn’t rhetorical, I’ll answer again. YOU can stop whenever you want. You don’t need permission. 

If you go onto NFL.com/news, there are two articles that mention the Colts at Bills. 2021 NFL Preseason, Week One: What We Learned from Saturday's Games, in which we learn that Damar Hamlin returned to the field... and nothing else. Next to that, there is an article about Damar Hamlin returning to the field. Perhaps now the national media can start reporting on some of the other aspects of the Buffalo Bills? And yes, of course that is a rhetorical question.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, folz said:

My shoutouts from the game:

RBs: This group looked good. Cook ran with ease. Murray showed strong in both the run and pass game. Mims played tough. And even Evans had a nice kick return. When Damien comes back, wow, this is going to be a real solid RB room, bringing a bit more balance and toughness to the offense.

WRs: Ditto. A lot of guys flashed. Shakir had two great catches but the bad drop also (needs to find consistency). Shavers also had a drop that marred his two nice catches a bit.  But catching a TD pass always looks good. Isabella looks real fast and looked at least sure-handed in the return game. Patmon, Ateman, and Johnson all looked real good too, answered the bell (with Patmon pulling in the other tuddie).

Dorian Williams: 7 tackles (6 solo). This is exactly what I liked about this kid when the Bills drafted him. Fast, sure tackler. I love that the Bills put a focus on tackling with their defensive players. If you are a strong tackler, doesn't matter your measurables or draft position, you got a shot to make it in the league (see Dane Jackson and Damar Hamlin, etc.). Dorian still has a long ways to go to become a starter, but I will feel pretty confident with him backing up Milano.

Nice game for Boogie with 3 solo tackles and a sack. And Eli Ankou stood out to me as well.

Dane with the INT. Still holding off the young guys.

Lots of young guys on defense with one or two good plays, highlighted by Travin Howard's massive hit and solo tackle to prevent the 2-point conversion.

Martin punted real well. With punters, you don't know what you got till its gone. Glad we got Sam.

Matt Barkley: Insync with his receivers, got the ball out quickly, great anticipation and command of the offense. Completed 14 of 15 with 2 TDs.

The only thing I will say for Kyle Allen is he was under a good bit more pressure than Barkley (and against the 1s and 2s), and this is a very complicated offense to learn. He's had like 5 months to get it down, Barkley has had 5 years. Kyle deserves more time to get it together before we run him out of town...but yes, at this point I would definitely feel more comfortable with Barkley taking over in an emergency.

Not high on Isabella in return game.  Failed to ever read or follow any of his blocks.  Evans comes out and immediately makes a good read on a block.  Don't think either will make team, tho, too much depth!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Such a likable guy. He knows perfectly well that, at the very least, he's a lock on the PS, and he really seems to love his life there. He sticks up perfectly for Kyle Allen in this interview.

The thing about Barkley isn't just that he's so comfortable, and knowledgable with the offense, it's also that they are so comfortable with him. I know a lot of people disagree, but I feel like he's a decent two-to-three game placeholder that can win some games-- as long as he is given ample protection. That's been a big "IF" for this team in the last couple seasons, but they really seem to know how to use Barkley's limited ability to their best advantage.

8 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Technically the prior post is correct. Hamlin suffered sudden cardiac death. He had return of circulation with CPR and obviously he did not suffer brain death. 

cardiac arrest is the term.  there is no cardiac death.  brain death also isn't "death"

we've been over this...

13 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

Settle got completely handled by Nelson 1-on-1 in the 1st quarter which freed up the rest of the Colts starting OL. As soon as Nelson exited the Bills DL poured through the Colts like they were a sieve. He's that important.

Sad to see but Boettger is done. Doyle with one leg was more effective blocking. He was a JAG to begin with but has lost a significant something.

The big'uns at receiver weren't getting separation in the first half, and Wrong Allen was throwing to them anyway. Shavers, Johnson and 8-man did have moments later with Barkley.

Don't think Isabella is the answer at KR, but Evans could be, esp if Harty is going to handle punts.

"3-car" Gouraige seemed to show well at LT, as did Van Denmark although he seemed to struggle some at RT.

Saw more out of Dorian Williams today than Bernard his first preseason - lucky fumble return notwithstanding.

Didn't see any down-roster CB's looking very good which, usually, one or two do for the Bills in preseason.

Could it be that all the running backs looked better that previous years because the OL in general looked better in run-blocking?

Nelson is probably the best g in the league, so good for Timmy to get to test against him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Thanks for the info!  This is new to me.   

I have a Firestick.  So if purchase Unlimited TV, I can register it in Buffalo and see live Buffalo TV?  Including all Bills games?   No need for Sunday Ticket?

Great stuff if I'm understanding it right.  

I don’t think it matters where you register it from. All I’m talking about is Buffalo’s sports teams. Idk about channels 2, 4, 7 etc. but I don’t think so..

12 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

If Isabell can impress will the last WR spot come down to Shorter vs Shakir?

Who has more immediate value and long term value? Feels like Shorter can play more special teams coverage and blocking. Shakir can feel in on Punt returns but wouldn’t really be needed with both Harty and Isabella on the team. 

And Isabella would presumably run a lot of the same routes Shakir would be asked to run. Seems like Shakir would be expendable if Isabella makes the 53.

Shorter would be the potential replacement for Davis if the Bills and Davis part ways after this year. So longterm it would seem Shorter also has an advantage. 

I’m not sure either can be safely kept on the practice squad. 

could be Shorter v Spector v Lewis for last roster spot.  Shorter needs to show he can ST

14 hours ago, NoSaint said:

we’ve played nickel more than 90% of snaps several recent years. Some of the remaining 10% dime. 

it’s basically only been a goal line package and even then inconsistent 

we will see about this year but would be odd to ramp up with it the most depleted we’ve seen the lb unit 

Unless they bring down Rapp as a LB  :)

15 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

When the Oline looked bad it wasn’t even the primary backups in. Bills starters got like 10 plays then guys like Q-Berry and Shell, Torrence/Bates didn’t play much at all. The guys getting shellacked were Alec Anderson, Ike Boettger(who had fallen off a cliff) , Gouriage etc. 

Gouraige did not get shellacked. He was great. Looked easy out there for him. Hope he gets reps against better opponents. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, CSBill said:

Like he did in college = JAG. He looks good coming off the bus, but his game production????

Yeah, I saw that, but after reading this thread, I am like, "Did I have the wrong player?"  T

He was much better at LT and awful at RT. He was the first backup at LT.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.