Jonny Manziel documentary on Netflix is great

JerseyBills

8 hours ago, KCNC said:

Yeah it's hard to see how an NFL franchise cannot do at least a little homework on someone, but it is the Browns after all...

The Browns did do due diligence.  The claim is that the front office wanted Bridgewater but the owner pressured them to get Manziel.

Google "Browns $100,000 study Manziel" or "homeless man tells Haslem to pick Manziel".

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, stuvian said:

so if he never watched film through out his whole career what was it that made him play so well? Was he just playing on instinct?

His entire game was backyard football. I’m sure he could read defenses on a basic level, but anything confusing and he’d just run around until he made a play.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Draconator said:

I didn't watch it, but read that when he was diagnosed with Bipolar, he didn't accept it and went into a spiral. As one who also has Bipolar, unless you find the right partner/therapy/medication, it is nothing to play around with. I was standing on the deck of the Golden Gate Bridge, ready to jump. My therapist at the time played around with my medication. Thankfully I walked off and went to the Psych ER instead, got my meds straightened out, and reconnected with my now wife 4 months later. 

Thank you for having the courage to tell your story. I work at an Inpatient Level Of Care Mental Health Facility, I work everyday with people diagnosed with Bipolar, we need more awareness and treatment options. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

It was. He was a very sick individual and I'm surprised at what he was able to accomplish. 

I wish that the ending was a bit more descriptive of his current life but perhaps I'm a chronic malcontent lol.

real mixed bag on the nuts and bolts of it as a documentary. Thought it had a lot of issues with the formatting and storytelling of such a fascinating story. 

frustrating to watch on a human level as it really didn’t feel like he learned the lesson. At least not like you would hope. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Thank you for having the courage to tell your story. I work at an Inpatient Level Of Care Mental Health Facility, I work everyday with people diagnosed with Bipolar, we need more awareness and treatment options. 

You're welcome and I 1000% agree. We need more awareness. 

24 minutes ago, stuvian said:

so if he never watched film through out his whole career what was it that made him play so well? Was he just playing on instinct?

Same thing that made his career at A&M so great when he was showing up to live practices in shorts and flip-flops

The dude is blessed with a innate ability to feel a quarterback position especially at the college level

He's Houdini in the pocket with 20-year-olds

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Same thing that made his career at A&M so great when he was showing up to live practices in shorts and flip-flops

The dude is blessed with a innate ability to feel a quarterback position especially at the college level

He's Houdini in the pocket with 20-year-olds

Sorry, I thought you were going to say Mike Evans.  😋

Manziel didn’t have the same level of talent, but we’ll never know what it might have been had he stayed balanced and worked at his craft. 

45 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

His entire game was backyard football. I’m sure he could read defenses on a basic level, but anything confusing and he’d just run around until he made a play.

That, and when he couldn't scramble, he threw jump balls to Mike Evans. 

18 minutes ago, Augie said:

Sorry, I thought you were going to say Mike Evans.  😋

Manziel didn’t have the same level of talent, but we’ll never know what it might have been had he stayed balanced and worked at his craft. 

Obviously Mike Evans helps LOL

As I said Johnny's pocket awareness at the college level was second to none.. he was Houdini and made people fall on their faces

He had 22 rushing touchdowns as a freshman

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Yeah college defensive coverage to facing an NFL secondary is night and day. 

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

Yeah college defensive coverage to facing an NFL secondary is night and day. 

This is a perfect example of the massive difference between NFL and College Football talent.  

Johnny Manziel didn’t even watch film and played hungover and carved up the great SEC.  He obviously couldn’t do it in the NFL and even struggled mightily in the CFL.  This should end the discussion if college football teams could beat an NFL team.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This is a perfect example of the massive difference between NFL and College Football talent.  

Johnny Manziel didn’t even watch film and played hungover and carved up the great SEC.  He obviously couldn’t do it in the NFL and even struggled mightily in the CFL.  This should end the discussion if college football teams could beat an NFL team.

Last year's Georgia team vs 3-13 Texans ...

Texans would win 60-13 lol resting in the 4th lol

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, 947 said:

This part just blows my mind:

During the early stages of his NFL career, Manziel would call his agent, Erik Burkhardt, and tell him football wasn't fun anymore. Losing the love for the game obviously affected his study habits, because Manziel wasn't watching any film. 

"Their GM's calling me going, 'He doesn't watch tape,'" Burkhardt said. "I'm like, 'Well he's gotta watch some tape.' He's like, 'EB, his iPad hours is 0.00.'"

Manziel confirmed he watched zero film: "Zero."

Billy Joe Hobert came to mind

2 hours ago, stuvian said:

It was sandlot football and it worked for him

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

real mixed bag on the nuts and bolts of it as a documentary. Thought it had a lot of issues with the formatting and storytelling of such a fascinating story. 

frustrating to watch on a human level as it really didn’t feel like he learned the lesson. At least not like you would hope. 

I think he is still learning. His sister summed it up at the end

32 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Last year's Georgia team vs 3-13 Texans ...

Texans would win 60-13 lol resting in the 4th lol

Not a single current college player has ever seen NFL level coverage.

I think it was Derek Anderson on an interview talking about Josh Allen his first year and challenges rookie QB’s usually face.  

He said in college, you’ll get about 5 different looks from the defense.  In the NFL, its 20-25.  

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Not a single current college player has ever seen NFL level coverage.

I think it was Derek Anderson on an interview talking about Josh Allen his first year and challenges rookie QB’s usually face.  

He said in college, you’ll get about 5 different looks from the defense.  In the NFL, its 20-25.  

Easily 

It's the biggest jump... Some college all Americans can't make the league 

And yea your getting 25 different looks on Sunday ... Alabama doesn't get close to showing that kind of nuance 

Boo hoo. Poor Johnny Football. He had everything going for him and all he had to do was not be a total doosh and he would have made it in life and in the NFL.

This story, much like our society today, lacks accountability for your actions. If you want to party and not work then good for you, but there are consequences! The guy would show up to games hungover and never watched film. He got back what he put into it. Nothing beats hard work and determination.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Boo hoo. Poor Johnny Football. He had everything going for him and all he had to do was not be a total doosh and he would have made it in life and in the NFL.

This story, much like our society today, lacks accountability for your actions. If you want to party and not work then good for you, but there are consequences! The guy would show up to games hungover and never watched film. He got back what he put into it. Nothing beats hard work and determination.

I think him opening up about this is showing he finally understands accountability.  He didn’t make excuses, he admitted that it was him not working hard.

21 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think him opening up about this is showing he finally understands accountability.  He didn’t make excuses, he admitted that it was him not working hard.

I think it's more about him being broke now and wanting a pity party. He's probably trying to get his name back out there so he can do TV now that his comebacks have failed as a player 

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

💯 Which is also, by the way, no one should be up here crucifying Beane (or any other GM, for that matter) for “missing” or “choking” on draft selections. GMs and their scouts do their best but the talent gap between college ball (even in the big 5 conferences) and the pros is immense. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.