Trade Candidates?

TFBillsfan

Elam is going to get traded so they might as well do it now while there is still value and teams think they can develop him. 

Always thought he was going to bust and is a bad schematic fit on top but I still think in man he won’t be a great corner in the NFL 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Dislike 2

24 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Elam is going to get traded so they might as well do it now while there is still value and teams think they can develop him. 

Always thought he was going to bust and is a bad schematic fit on top but I still think in man he won’t be a great corner in the NFL 

Way too soon. #1 & 2 CBs next year could very well be Elam and Dane, no guarantee Tre is still on the team in 2024.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If Tre isn't back to something like himself they will cut him after 2023. He can save them up to $10m in space.

Gotcha? Yeah I have a different take, seems he’s back by all accounts. I think he took a year to trust his knee. I had a knee injury and it took a long time not to think about it. I think he’s a lock.

4 minutes ago, NC-billsfan! said:

Gotcha? Yeah I have a different take, seems he’s back by all accounts. I think he took a year to trust his knee. I had a knee injury and it took a long time not to think about it. I think he’s a lock.

If he is back to anything close to his best he is a lock. Fingers crossed that is the case.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Way too soon. #1 & 2 CBs next year could very well be Elam and Dane, no guarantee Tre is still on the team in 2024.

You may think that but I didn’t think he was great in college and he played man there predominantly. It’s clear McDermott and staff don’t trust him. 

It doesn’t matter what the depth looks like if the coaching staff can’t trust him on the field. He wouldn’t be a starter still in that scenario unless his game is severely elevated and I don’t see it happening. 

53 minutes ago, NC-billsfan! said:

Why would you say that? He’s signed until 2025. Just curious, do you think we will trade or cut him? Cheers.

Cap casualty if they need $ and there isn’t much drop-off between the other CBs and him.

10 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

You may think that but I didn’t think he was great in college and he played man there predominantly. It’s clear McDermott and staff don’t trust him. 

It doesn’t matter what the depth looks like if the coaching staff can’t trust him on the field. He wouldn’t be a starter still in that scenario unless his game is severely elevated and I don’t see it happening. 

You may be right, I’m just not ready to write him off yet. We’ll see.

7 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Trading Elam, a 1st rounder,  prior to his 2nd season would be quite an indictment on BB.

Elam isn't getting traded. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If Tre isn't back to something like himself they will cut him after 2023. He can save them up to $10m in space.

IMO he will be fine and isn’t going anywhere.  He seemed extremely upbeat on the sideline yesterday and the guy is an absolute pro.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Do you think if the play quality from his return onward becomes a continuation this year, they try and trade him before value completely diminishes?

Or do you feel he has to just completely bomb to move on?

He’s a fan favorite but hanging onto players who just aren’t performing in a pivotal and vital role isn’t a recipe for success. 

On 8/10/2023 at 10:12 PM, noacls said:

Phillips: can't stay healthy 

Basham: underperformed 

Shaq: crowded deep DE pool

Could see 2 of the 3 being gone

Phillips should be used lightly in rotation until big division conference games, and then playoffs. he is absolutely the type of player you want in the playoffs coming in with a hot hand!  healthy hes a mini chris jones!

also, thankfully, i dont think Beane is in the camp of dealing a rd2 pick after only 2 seasons. cheap talent, with high upside. you develop a guy like that. let lawson go, but im not willing to voluntarily get weaker/more shallow in the trenches, especially DTs with potential to create pressure up the middle. WAY to valuable IMO 

if we cant develop guys like AJ & Boogie, then its a DL coach problem as much as its a player problem. always be developing, keep the pipeline loaded.... an absolute MUST as a team this good

Edited by BillsShredder83
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BBFL said:

Do you think if the play quality from his return onward becomes a continuation this year, they try and trade him before value completely diminishes?

He’s a fan favorite but hanging onto players who just aren’t performing in a pivotal and vital role isn’t a recipe for success. 

i have no evidence, but gut feeling if he were to look bad enough this year to be a trade candidate, i could see him just hanging the cleats up.  strikes me as one of those retire at 28-29 if hes not playing well/having a blast anymore

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, BBFL said:

They could. Would have to look at the deal to work how attractive a trade prospect he is for other teams.

Edited by GunnerBill

10 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

I'd do it for a first round pick and their playbook so he can study it on the plane.

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Which is why trading Elam is ludicrous (barring an unlikely first round pick offer) when we'd still have him for at least two more years on a cost controlled rookie deal if we do cut bait with Tre.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.