Training Camp - 8/9 - 9:45am

The Wiz

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Really eager to see this version of Gabe Davis . Sounds as if he’s improved.  More importantly, eager to see if his feet can stay injury free this year. The biggest year of his lifetime by a mile

• Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Really eager to see this version of Gabe Davis . Sounds as if he’s improved.  More importantly, eager to see if his feet can stay injury free this year. The biggest year of his lifetime by a mile

Agree. I was really hard on him last year and want him to pan out. I’m just concerned about the translation from practice to actual games. The dude is a hard worker, but it doesn’t mean much if his drops continue when the lights are on. 

• Agree 3

Just now, NewEra said:

Would suck to see him ball out and have a 80 catch 1200 yd season and then the Bills have to let him walk.   Hope Beane can find a way to keep him if he does earn his stripes this year.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Shakir dropsies are becoming a thing. It’s quite possible Sherfield surpasses him, especially with his superior run blocking ability. 

They aren't competing for the same position.  Sherfield is a lock already as the WR3 behind Diggs and Davis on the outside.  Shakir and Harty are competing for reps atop the slot WR depth chart.  If anyone is a threat to passing Shakir its Harty who has had a strong camp.  

Ideally, I don't think they want to rely on Harty as the lead slot guy though, especially given Hines injury forcing Harty to the top of the depth chart as a kick and punt returner.  With his injury history, the more reps he gets the higher risk of another injury given his small frame.  Their original plan was him to be the deep threat, a guy who could take the top off the defense, and also handle some of the McKenzie type plays too.  

The biggest risk to Shakir being passed up by Harty is actually Kincaid and how good he has looked.  With how much Kincaid has shined so far, the could easily manage Harty's reps (reducing injury risks) at the slot position by lining Kincaid up there instead rather than any "slot" WR.  So that alone I think removes some concerns about Harty having a "starting" role at the slot and can manage his use rate to hopefully keep the guy healthy as much as possible, especially if he is handling all kick return duties too.  

Sp Shakir is going to start needing to stand out for the right reasons as the intensity of camp turns up with preseason here and he needs to make plays or I think Harty will over take him and relegate Shakir to a backup role similar to last year.  His roster slot I think is safe regardless given there is no one behind them, especially with Harty's injury history.  But his spot as the top slot guy is still something he needs to earn and Harty isn't going to make it easy.

All that being said, I am still optimistic about Shakir, but that doesn't change the fact that he has to show it out on the field still.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Lost said:

Would suck to see him ball out and have a 80 catch 1200 yd season and then the Bills have to let him walk.   Hope Beane can find a way to keep him if he does earn his stripes this year.  

Good point. It’s a tough spot for Beane. He can try to lock him up before the games start or he can “wait and see” if his drops disappear. Either way it’s a huge gamble. 

8 minutes ago, Lost said:

It's a risk we have to take. No way he should be extended right now. 

• Disagree 3
  • Agree 3

30 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I've said on here before the four practices I saw I didn't see Morris miss a catch

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Good point. It’s a tough spot for Beane. He can try to lock him up before the games start or he can “wait and see” if his drops disappear. Either way it’s a huge gamble. 

I don’t think it’s a tough spot at all.  I bet Beane is trying to get it done; the likely holdup is Gabe wanting to ball out and see what he really commands on the open market.

• Agree 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Not a tough spot at all. Let him earn a big contract… I wouldn’t even think of a big extension now. He hasn’t earned it on the field. 

Well he kinda did in 2021 playoffs.  Had 13 seconds not happened he woulda been a huge reason we probably made a SB appearance.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Not a tough spot at all. Let him earn a big contract… I wouldn’t even think of a big extension now. He hasn’t earned it on the field. 

Nobody said anything about a big extension right now. I’ll bet Beane has approached him about a reasonable extension but it’s likely Davis is willing to bet on himself sort of like edmunds did. 

4 minutes ago, stevewin said:

I've said on here before the four practices I saw I didn't see Morris miss a catch

We appear to have a strong TE room this season,  imo it is a given that DK x2 & QM are pretty much  a lock

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Is there a number you'd be willing to go to for him?  Or just a no in general?

I think I would be good with anything under or around 3yrs/40M.

I have to think he wants more than that though.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yeah we have to start making some tough decisions. We should do what the Steelers do and draft a WR every year. Let the WR2 walk, collect a nice comp pick, plug in the new guy, rinse and repeat. Extending Davis now is a gamble a team with a better future cap situation could take. For us it's way too risky IMO.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 7
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.