Projected Top 51 Cap Space

SCBills

So is there enough to go get a decent tackle? Sounds like that needs to be addressed somehow. Via FA with a dirtbag like Lewan if necessary, or via trade. But I’d hate to see the team stand pat and roll the dice on protecting Josh, again, after investing a quarter billion $ into him…

Edited by Dr.Mantis_Toboggan
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2

6 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The Bills also have some ways they can open up more money if needed I think a D Jones extension and or a Dawkins restructure both open up 4-6 million each.

With the way it's being reported that Tre White has looked in camp, a restructure or even small extension for him wouldn't shock me either.

46 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

So is there enough to go get a decent tackle? Sounds like that needs to be addressed somehow. Via FA with a dirtbag like Lewan if necessary, or via trade. But I’d hate to see the team stand pat and roll the dice on protecting Josh, again, after investing a quarter billion $ into him…

There aren't any available.  An in season trade is more likely when they realize it's still Spencer Brown out there.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

With the way it's being reported that Tre White has looked in camp, a restructure or even small extension for him wouldn't shock me either.

I don't think they do either. I don't see a small extension because Tre is still under contract until 2025 when he will be 30 so the timeline of his deal works perfectly for the Bills. I don't see a restructuring because the Bills have the ability to get out of Tre's deals if they don't restructure. They can get 6 and 12-million dollar cap savings on a 16-million-dollar overall number as the deal currently stands.

The Bills would effectively have dead cap numbers on Tre for 10 million in 2024 and 4 million in 2025. If they restructure his deal they get locked into him in 2024 and effectively for 2025. Whereas if they keep his deal as is they have major flexibility in future years and if he has an amazing bounce-back year they can do a restructure of his 2024 deal and save 5 million on that year's cap. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

They signed Shell and I belive Edwards has played tackle. Do the Bills have e enough cap space to sign a "decent tackle" or can they just afford another similar to what they ready have? Probably aren't any "decent" candidates at this time but Beane could go shopping after cutdowns.

2 hours ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

Not currently. After cutdown day they need to have all 53 under contract plus PS players and any in season replacements for IRed players. So the Bills will need to open up some space for the season. As @Rocky Landing said, going into the season with $5M for IR replacement players is about right. Guessing we need to find about $6M in space to be at $5M under when the season starts. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The Bills also have some ways they can open up more money if needed I think a D Jones extension and or a Dawkins restructure both open up 4-6 million each.

Just a little note that the 51 man roster is a bizarro-world function of the NFL offseason.  Why, no one seems to know.

After the cutdown to the 53 man roster, all 53 AND the practice squad must be under the cap.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Just a little note that the 51 man roster is a bizarro-world function of the NFL offseason.  Why, no one seems to know.

After the cutdown to the 53 man roster, all 53 AND the practice squad must be under the cap.

So explain the “top 51 salaries” thing to us. Is it a myth like the rest of the salary cap 🤔

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

There aren't any available.  An in season trade is more likely when they realize it's still Spencer Brown out there.

I think an in season trade will occur, likely on the offensive side of the ball. Good WR’s likely be available either Mike Evans, Jerry Jeudy or some other WR’s will be on the market but It is more rare that offensive linemen come available but it has happened 

16 hours ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

No there is actually a deficit.   The bills will have to actually fund 53 guys not too 51 plus the 16 guys on the practice squad plus in season buffer for injuries.   They probably KT need to free up cash just for that not but more tackles.  

12 hours ago, StHustle said:

So explain the “top 51 salaries” thing to us. Is it a myth like the rest of the salary cap 🤔

Yes the whole thing is just accounting which is why the bills signed Dalvin cook deandre Hopkins and will trade for an expensive all pro tackle next week.  

18 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

They do. Same as a guy who's in serious debt can usually get a new credit card from some desperate bank. You can do it. But it's not generally nearly as good an idea as it looks at first glance.

Again, Spotrac has us at $41M ABOVE the cap next year (28th) in 2024.  Overthecap has us in much better shape, only $25M ABOVE the cap (28th).

In case of emergency, they might do this. Short of that, they appear unwilling. Wisely.

Edited by Thurman#1

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

They do. Same as a guy who's in serious debt can usually get a new credit card from some desperate bank. You can do it. But it's not generally nearly as good an idea as it looks at first glance.

Again, Spotrac has us at $41M ABOVE the cap next year (28th) in 2024.  Overthecap has us in much better shape, only $25M ABOVE the cap (28th).

In case of emergency, they might do this. Short of that, they appear unwilling. Wisely.

I do not think restructuring Dawkins which frees up about 4 million is going to bankrupt the team in any significant way. The restructuring would only "lock" the Bills into one more season with Dawkins in 2024 when he will be 30. D. Jones is 50/50 as he is older but a pretty key cog in the defense and the Bills only have one other DT on the roster in 2024. So if they feel like they want Jones on the roster for another 2 seasons they could simply do an extension to save some money now and lock him in longer term. 

I don't think the Bills should go all out to make space such as restructuring Tre and extending Hyde (both of which would hamper future flexibility.) But Dawkins seems sensible if they need some extra space and Jones is more of a judgement call on if they want him on the roster beyond this season. 

The Bills have been bottom 10 or even bottom 5 in dead cap since 2019 so I think they have done a good job not always borrowing from Peter to pay Paul so to speak. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.