Butch Byrd for hall?

I'm Spartacus

So Ken Riley made the Hall of Fame for Bengals...well deserved. Rileys stats were slightly better than Byrds, but being a homer, I think Butch deserves some consideration.

2x AFC championship 64-65

5x AFL All Star

3x 1st team All AFL

2x 2nd team All AFL

Interception yards - 666

TDs -5

Dude was incredible. Just my 3 cents...

Ps, Riley was a corner, Byrd a safety.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

54 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Also Byrd had 40 interceptions 

Byrd and Edgerson were the starting corners on the 60's championship teams. Byrd definitely belongs on the Wall--- if not the Hall.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Byrd along with Booker Egerson formed the best pair of corners in the AFL.  Byrd was also a great punt returner.  He should be on our wall, no question.  The Hall is a stretch.  Other guys who would be there with Byrd from the AFL days that could merit consideration would be George Saimes and Tom Sestak.

• Like (+1) 3

Wall of Fame - Yes

Buffalo Sport Hall and likley "AFL" Hall of Fame - Yes

NFL Hall - a stretch at best, most voters just don't know - all-time Bills pick leader with 40, punt returner as well, plus 2 AFL rings, just not enuff apparently, there was a push for AFL guys for the hall but that is over, so not likely...

highlights:

In 1964 Butch was selected in the AFL college draft by the Buffalo Bills and he made an immediate impact on the defensive side of the ball as a cornerback. Early in his rookie season, he ran back his first professional interception 72 yards for a touchdown; that wouldn’t be the last as he would later become the Bills’ all-time leader in interceptions with 40, returning five for touchdowns; he was seemingly always in the right place at the right time. Butch was a valuable member of the two AFL championship Buffalo Bills teams of 1964 and 1965 and was selected to five All-AFL teams.

Butch was also an exceptional punt returner, and continues to rank among the Bills all-time leaders. In the 1966 AFL Championship Game, he returned a punt 74 yards for a touchdown and established championship game records for punt returns and punt return yards.

Moreover, he played in every game as a member of the Bills during his tenure in Buffalo, starting 101 consecutive games.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I'm still waiting on Steve Tasker!! The HOF is hating on Bills players

Tasker should already be in. My conspiracy theory is that the NFL is currently trying to fundamentally change special teams and Tasker's selection would only highlight just how big of a shift it is. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, benderbender said:

Tasker should already be in. My conspiracy theory is that the NFL is currently trying to fundamentally change special teams and Tasker's selection would only highlight just how big of a shift it is. 

wut?

1 hour ago, First Round Bust said:

Wall of Fame - Yes

Buffalo Sport Hall and likley "AFL" Hall of Fame - Yes

NFL Hall - a stretch at best, most voters just don't know - all-time Bills pick leader with 40, punt returner as well, plus 2 AFL rings, just not enuff apparently, there was a push for AFL guys for the hall but that is over, so not likely...

highlights:

In 1964 Butch was selected in the AFL college draft by the Buffalo Bills and he made an immediate impact on the defensive side of the ball as a cornerback. Early in his rookie season, he ran back his first professional interception 72 yards for a touchdown; that wouldn’t be the last as he would later become the Bills’ all-time leader in interceptions with 40, returning five for touchdowns; he was seemingly always in the right place at the right time. Butch was a valuable member of the two AFL championship Buffalo Bills teams of 1964 and 1965 and was selected to five All-AFL teams.

Butch was also an exceptional punt returner, and continues to rank among the Bills all-time leaders. In the 1966 AFL Championship Game, he returned a punt 74 yards for a touchdown and established championship game records for punt returns and punt return yards.

Moreover, he played in every game as a member of the Bills during his tenure in Buffalo, starting 101 consecutive games.

The punt return for a touchdown came in the 1965 AFL championship game, our 2nd title game against the Chargers. He also had an interception in that game. He was amazing and very deserving of more accolades.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

So Ken Riley made the Hall of Fame for Bengals...well deserved. Rileys stats were slightly better than Byrds, but being a homer, I think Butch deserves some consideration.

2x AFC championship 64-65

5x AFL All Star

3x 1st team All AFL

2x 2nd team All AFL

Interception yards - 666

TDs -5

Dude was incredible. Just my 3 cents...

There was no "AFC" in 1964 and 1965.

Guys who were standouts pre-merger are only going to get so much consideration.  

• Eyeroll 1

11 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Also Byrd had 40 interceptions 

40 interceptions ties him for 78th all-time.

I wish I was top 100 all-time at something.  But it's probably not good enough to ever get Butch into the Hall.  

Then again, Roger Wehrli, also finished his career with 40 picks and he was able to earn a spot in Canton.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Freddie's Dead said:

If Joe Klecko got in, Butch should get in.  This is the most mediocre HOF class I've ever seen.  Tasker should definitely be in ahead of these clowns.

I agree with you about this HOF class.  It appears to me that they really stretched to elect a couple of these guys.  When a guy wasn't the kind of player that affected the opposition's game plan to account for them, the guy probably does not deserve to be in the HOF.  Revis and Ware are no brainers.  They were both dominating players.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.