Training Camp 8/1 9:45

Beck Water

Just now, MasterStrategist said:

With all the Shakir discussion today, this was a timely interview. 

Good listen if you have time.

*Teaser: Brownie also discusses the "alleged drop" on the post route, that triggered some fans.  

Was the "next step" getting into coaching?   

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ngbills said:

Leonard Floyd is good. Versus Spencer Brown he is elite. Spencer Brown is playing awfully bad right now and it is not surprising. He was arguably the worse starter on both sides of the ball last year. 

Leonard Floyd will be just as good week 1 against the Jets. Their tackles aren’t any better than Spencer Brown/Dion Dawkins 

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I'm about done with Shakir at this point. You can't have below average physical gifts and below average hands and still be successful in this league. Allen has had too many incredible plays dropped by his pass catchers since he was a rookie. I'm so over it.

She is just not good enough for him !

43 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We were one of the best defenses last year and had something close to 40 games missed by Miller, White, Oliver, Hyde and Poyer.  That’s 4 All Pros for a significant amount of time.

Stop with the facts. Opinions only!! 

• Thank you (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

With all the Shakir discussion today, this was a timely interview. 

Good listen if you have time.

*Teaser: Brownie also discusses the "alleged drop" on the post route, that triggered some fans.  

Good speed...great separation rate....but ability to reduce drops or master jump balls not there yet.

• Eyeroll 1

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Connor McGovern is not a DEpth player

Meet Ed Oliver Day ?
Maybe Ed is a bit better then some here think.

With the current his current surrounding cast of characters , i think Ed might be doing the some to plenty of guards this season

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I didn't listen to the interview, but from the clips here, that's exactly what it sounds like.  And exactly what a lot of fans have been saying for a year.  Elam is a natural cover corner, and Benford really gets the coverage schemes that McD's pass defense thrives on.  I've always thought that's why McDermott didn't keep Gilmore.  

And as lots of people have been saying, it's up to Elam.  If he internalizes the schemes, he'll be the starter, because Benford simply can't "learn" some of the physical skills that come naturally to Elam. 

Also, I don't see how a platoon system works with corner back.  When you platoon running backs, you're always sending some signals about what you might do, because the running backs have different skills.   That's okay, however, because offense is all about putting a combination of threats on the field.   DBs seem different to me - putting a different DBs in the game signal your weaknesses, not your strengths.  Benford's in, if the offense puts a #1 receiver out there, the offense knows the defense is in zone or double coverage, because the Bills won't leave him out there alone.   Elam's in, and the offense knows he's the soft spot in the zone.   Jackson gives you the best disguise.  

What the Bills really need, really need, is for Elam to step up.   If he can win the job (if he can get good enough playing the schemes), then the Bills have the best option out there, and Benford gets freed up for a possible move to safety, maybe as early as next year. 

This is also why it's puzzling to draft a cover corner to play zone when that cover corner has little to no history of playing zone, and when it certainly isn't his strength.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, major said:

I’m a realist fan. I didn’t think we were going to the Super Bowl last year. However, this year feels different. I think von Miller is right. This team is better than last and I think we go to the Super Bowl. I think we hover around 10 to 11 wins and then hit our peak in the playoffs 

It doesn't hurt to not have that favored expectation shadowing us.  

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Lucky if this defense cracks the top ten. Your post is overly optimistic. 

Your post is overly pessimistic.  Per usual.  We’ve had a top 2 scoring defense 3 of the last 4 years.  

We have the toughest schedule in the league and face the best QBs we’ve faced in a season…. So I get where you come from- but count on us having one of the best defenses in the league if healthy. We’ve proven to be a top D year in year out.   People should be optimistic based on our defensive track record. 

You hate the HC/DC - so you’re obviously biased

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

We were a top 6 defense last year and that was without our starting secondary playing a single game together. 

2nd in points per game

5th in rushing yards per game

6th in total yards per game

The defense wasn't that good last year. I don't care what the stats said. Also, the previous two years the Bills were the top rated defense. Only to get their doors blown off come playoff time.

Don't get caught up in the stats. If so, it's fair to say the Bills loss in the playoffs under McD with a sub 500 record and disappointing early exits. Isn't that the only stat that realty counts? 

Let's call it as it is even if it's unpopular and unpleasant. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.