Training Camp 8/1 9:45

Beck Water

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

im saying if youre that sick of reading his stuff you can ignore everything that comes up from him

The shame in that is that some posters are put on ignore not because their posts suck, but because they're broken records.

Occasionally @newcam2012 will post something good and if he's on ignore, then that post gets lost and no one wins.

To me the moral of the story is that people shouldn't post unless they truly believe they are bringing something of value to the conversation. Unfortunately there are some people here who post too much and can't limit themselves... and that's probably the biggest problem on most message boards.

• Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

The shame in that is that some posters are put on ignore not because their posts suck, but because they're broken records.

Occasionally @newcam2012 will post something good and if he's on ignore, then that post gets lost and no one wins.

To me the moral of the story is that people shouldn't post unless they truly believe they are bringing something of value to the conversation. Unfortunately there are some people here who post too much and can't limit themselves... and that's probably the biggest problem on most message boards.

"Ignore" doesn't ignore when the post is quoted.  So if you ignore someone who, on occasion, posts something good, there's an excellent chance that someone will quote it and you'll see it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

"Ignore" doesn't ignore when the post is quoted.  So if you ignore someone who, on occasion, posts something good, there's an excellent chance that someone will quote it and you'll see it. 

Ignore can just be a conscious effort BTW.
:)

9 hours ago, Beck Water said:

As far as Diggs drops vs Shakir - here's that "eyeball test".  When you're leading the team in receptions and yards as Diggs does, sure, you hate to see a drop.  But in context of 150+ targets, 8 drops is relatively insignificant (5.2%). 

But when you're a rookie trying to prove yourself and earn more playing time as Shakir is,  and you've gotten 20 targets, dropping 2 of them (scored drops, not contested or difficult catches of which there were also some "he coulda got that one" examples) is a much bigger deal that deserves its scrutiny.  I like Shakir, and want him to succeed, but the cold hard football facts are that WR spots on the 53 man roster are limited, and need to go to a guy who won't drop 10% of his targets if the team wants to go places.  So if Shakir wants to be that guy, he needs to fix it.

The injury concern with Harty looms large to me.  When you have posters whose opinions are often as diametrically opposed as myself and @BADOLBILZ and they both unanimously hone in on same concern on a player, it's probably legit.  He's fast, and we have a good training staff, but scar tissue and damage from repeated injuries is a Thing.

No one doubts the injury concerns of Harty, I have even said they are legit.  The only positive I have said on that is that our facilities and staff have had success with other players who struggled with injuries prior to Buffalo and reducing them here and mostly keeping those guys on the field.  

I get what you are saying with Diggs and Shakir, but no disrespect, 20 targets is egregiously small of a sample size to even mention it as a percentage even in a discussion.  That isn't much different as saying Cook (after his first 10 carries) had a 10% fumble rate because he fumbled his first carry.  

And this drop in the playoffs keeps getting over exaggerated, especially since he didn't "drop" it...play was ruled incomplete through instant replay after the impact on the ground caused the ball to move just enough that the tip touched the ground during the roll off the diving catch.  

This diving catch was also a 54 yard pass where the ball traveled over 60 yards in the air from Allen on a rope downfield, not to mention in a rookies first playoff game.  Again, he didn't "drop" it, he dove and caught the ball but the impact on the ground caused it to move slightly and the tip slightly touched the ground as he rolled to complete the catch.  This has happened to all of the top WR's in the game, it wasn't like he just muffed an easy catch and flat out dropped it.  The amount of skepticism on this kids career potential being formed by so many off this one play is just over the top IMHO.  Not saying you specifically are, just saying in general.

And that is really my main issue with that...its the gross over exaggeration of this one play to be worse than it was and to make some conclusive case he can't catch because of it.  Like any young player, there are no guarantees on what his career will or wont be...but I still think the potential is there and he has shown he has the drive and work ethic so far, so hopefully he puts it together on the field.  I don't know if he will work out or not, but what I do know, is the previous sample size is too small to make any conclusive judgements (good or bad) on this kids career at this stage.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I dunno why this is being attacked as unreasonable. All these are more relevant than stats. Game in, game out, "did the defense do its job today."

We're we getting pressure? Stopping drives? Struggling on 3rd and long? Did we keep or lose containment all day?

OK we got gashed by the run today on paper, but we were up 2 scores all day, when the offense was hot, and sold out to stop the pass?

All this ^^^, in the context of a game is much more relevant than chalking everything up to #3 scoring defense.

Heck you're admitting that the defense did not look the same in the playoffs, as we looked on paper during regular season.... did you use stats to come up with that? Orrrrr feelings, emotions and perception?

Weird to condemn the eyeball test when it goes against you, but embrace it when it goes with you.

Was just having fun .....

By the way, I never admitted anything, (As you claimed), except to my proctologist.

11 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Like any young player, there are no guarantees on what his career will or wont be...but I still think the potential is there and he has shown he has the drive and work ethic so far, so hopefully he puts it together on the field.  I don't know if he will work out or not, but what I do know, is the previous sample size is too small to make any conclusive judgements (good or bad) on this kids career at this stage.

Has he? I confess I haven't followed the training camp stuff as close so far this year as I have in other years but the podcasts I have listened to and reviews I have read kinda had him marked down as a disappointment through the first week of camp. There have been questions on his separation and his overall impact. Now maybe that isn't a lack of drive or a lack of work ethic but so far it doesn't sound as though there is much a discernible step forward on the practice field.  I think he needed a really strong camp because since last season ended the Bills have signed two free agents and drafted a guy in round 1 who are essentially competing with him for snaps.  Maybe it is not for a want of trying but I confess to being a lot less optimistic about Khalil Shakir's NFL future now than I was a year ago when I thought he would take time to get there as a rookie but really expected him to come into this camp as a clear leader in the clubhouse for the slot job. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Has he? I confess I haven't followed the training camp stuff as close so far this year as I have in other years but the podcasts I have listened to and reviews I have read kinda had him marked down as a disappointment through the first week of camp. There have been questions on his separation and his overall impact. Now maybe that isn't a lack of drive or a lack of work ethic but so far it doesn't sound as though there is much a discernible step forward on the practice field.  I think he needed a really strong camp because since last season ended the Bills have signed two free agents and drafted a guy in round 1 who are essentially competing with him for snaps.  Maybe it is not for a want of trying but I confess to being a lot less optimistic about Khalil Shakir's NFL future now than I was a year ago when I thought he would take time to get there as a rookie but really expected him to come into this camp as a clear leader in the clubhouse for the slot job. 

I said he has demonstrated he has the drive and work ethic, not anything about how his camp is reportedly going.  He spent his offseason working to get better and working out with Moulds to level up his game.  The kid wants to be good and is putting in the time to try and get there.  And that is what you want to see from your young players...whether he gets there or not will be determined on the field, but the kid is at least putting in the work to give himself the best chance to succeed.

He still is the clear leader for the slot job...Harty wasn't signed to be a full time slot guy, and Sherfield was brought in for depth on the outside.  Kincaid, while being a weapon that will play at times as essentially a 10.5 personnel as a big slot, will not always be lined up in the slot either.  Outside of Kincaid, who is till a TE at the end of the day, the Bills didn't bring anyone in to essentially challenge Shakir for the slot position, which IMHO shows they have some confidence in him being able to handle that role.  

Doesn't mean he will get Beasly like targets, but this isn't like last year where after signing McKenzie for 2 years still went and signed Crowder and drafted Shakir...clear signs they were not sold McKenzie could for sure handle that role.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.