Bills gave WR N'Keal Harry a try out

HOUSE

7 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Exactly Beastmode.  They work these guys out as backups to the 69 of you include PS, and when one guy goes down, they have already worked out some guys to make them a cheap offer after the season starts so their salary is not guaranteed.

Just know you’ll read about another 7-10 guys by the end of August.  As Beast points out it’s an every year occurrence for as long as I can remember.

What difference does it make to a salary guarantee if he is signed BEFORE the season starts? Depends on the contract, and whether the Bills offer guaranteed money. 

I am not really a fan but the guy has the talent, was the top rated WR of his class. Bellichick selected Harry in round 1

Injuries ( Ankle and shoulder) had him sidelined till late Oct and Nov.

His Quarterbacks were Stidham, Newton and Hoyer. Chicago it was Fields. 

I think he signs somewhere but he will need to stay healthy or he could be out of football.

10 hours ago, Augie said:

But Belichick’s dog REALLY liked him! 

What’s really annoying is Brady could have had Metcalf his last couple years here.. heck he may have stayed having a top WR like that on the team. (Edelman and Metcalf would been a scary duo with Brady)

Edited by PatsFanNH
  • Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

They're just swapping out guys in the 7th wr spot. We still have better depth than we had going into last season.

Last year folks thought we were set with Diggs, Davis, Crowder. We heard how Shakir was going to surprise people and win a starting job. We heard about McK finally getting a shot. Knox was going to step up. Cook was going to be a receiving threat. 

I don’t know if I would call Sherfield, Harty, and Kincaid an upgrade over those expectations. It is very similar thinking. Actually more wishful though because Crowder has the most production of these players expected to produce. You can can’t just say this year is better because you know now that last year didn’t work. Last year at this same time people were more confident Davis a #2, Crowder was an upgrade at slot, etc etc. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/29/2023 at 12:42 PM, BuffaloBillyG said:

It was productive.

Yes, they do. Further, teams tend to look for guys they liked coming out of college. Former high draft picks especially. If you look at the Bills specifically you'll see that a good chunk of guys they bring in fit this mold and some are even guys they had in on pre draft visits. 

Even if they don't sign them today it's always good to get a look and keep names handy in case of a run of injury at a position. Due diligence.

Totally agree!

On 7/29/2023 at 12:48 PM, BillsShredder83 said:

This plus they can get an eye on emergency signings for later in season. A lot of hand wringing over nothing.  Best case- he looks like he could push bottom of roster.

Worst case- rash string of injuries on a short week, and we have a ranked list of possible WRs to reach out to for emergency.

Totally agree!

On 7/29/2023 at 10:35 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

If Shorter doesn't look playable then I even could see them going with 5 WR plus Kincaid.   And the 5th WR might even be someone they trade for at the end of camp who can return kicks and punts if Shakir doesn't prove that he's not a taint' who drops too many passes.   

The fact that they are trying out these scrubs,  the quality of which they wouldn't have looked twice at since 2018,  should be the "sign" for the people who think the Bills have quality depth at WR.    Beane has cut it awful close.

yea, it’s a little worrisome that we are walking in hoping the WR2 makes a break through, someone steps into a WR3 role and a rookie tight end doesn’t play like a rookie tight end 

are we better than last year? Sure. The problem is we weren’t good enough at the top of the chart and our biggest hole was a second weapon…. unfortunately most of what we added aspires to be a third option. We are still missing an assertive answer to who is target two. Knocking everyone down a peg on the depth chart wouldve done wonders for their ability to fully fill their expected roles instead of collaboratively trying to reduce gaps between each others skill sets. 

On 7/30/2023 at 4:30 AM, Herb Nightly said:

What difference does it make to a salary guarantee if he is signed BEFORE the season starts? Depends on the contract, and whether the Bills offer guaranteed money. 

If you are a vet that makes the week 1 roster your salary is guaranteed. If you are signed after, it is not. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

On 7/30/2023 at 6:10 AM, PatsFanNH said:

What’s really annoying is Brady could have had Metcalf his last couple years here.. heck he may have stayed having a top WR like that on the team. (Edelman and Metcalf would been a scary duo with Brady)

I think the same thing about the Bills.  Could have had DK.  Instead, they trade up for Ford. 

Would have been a much different looking 2019 season with DK, Brown and Beasley.   They had a great defense that year.  A little more offensive fire power and I bet they would have won the division. 

However, they would have unlikely landed Diggs.   They would have been later in the draft and MN probably would have found a different team with better draft positioning.  Like NE. 

Edited by BillsfaninSB
  • Like (+1) 1

On 7/30/2023 at 7:21 AM, ngbills said:

Last year folks thought we were set with Diggs, Davis, Crowder. We heard how Shakir was going to surprise people and win a starting job. We heard about McK finally getting a shot. Knox was going to step up. Cook was going to be a receiving threat. 

I don’t know if I would call Sherfield, Harty, and Kincaid an upgrade over those expectations. It is very similar thinking. Actually more wishful though because Crowder has the most production of these players expected to produce. You can can’t just say this year is better because you know now that last year didn’t work. Last year at this same time people were more confident Davis a #2, Crowder was an upgrade at slot, etc etc. 

Weird, because last season I did NOT think we were set with Diggs, Davis, and Crowder.  When you're a passing team and 2 of the 3 starting wideouts are new, you have to have some worries and I did.  I was also worried about our depth at wideout.  I know some, like me, didn't expect much from Cook as a receiving threat because we expected Motor to be the in backfield most of the time.  

This year, I'm worried again but perhaps not as much.  I don't know if the starting three are any better, but I think maybe so.  I think Gabe's ankle was a true issue last year and he'll be somewhat better.  And I think whoever plays in the slot will probably be an upgrade over McKenzie.   Where I feel best about things is the depth at WR.  I think the backups this year will be much better than last year.  I like Sherfield and Harty and believe Shakir will be better in his sophomore campaign.  

And then there's Kincaid who's not a WR but will presumably play in the slot sometimes.  Whatever you call him, he's another weapon for Dorsey's passing attack. 

But Diggs is the only star receiver and the only ball-catcher who's truly proven himself in this offense.   So, yet again, I worry.  50 years of Bills fandom have taught me that worrying is always appropriate.  

It’s so funny to read the “group” that dislikes nearly 100% of personnel selections go on and on about a guy who wasn’t even signed,  I guess it creates a sense of accomplishment for them…, I give them kudos for consistency, 😁👍

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

It’s so funny to read the “group” that dislikes nearly 100% of personnel selections go on and on about a guy who wasn’t even signed,  I guess it creates a sense of accomplishment for them…, I give them kudos for consistency, 😁👍

What you call consistency I call constipation like a bear gets before going into hibernation where it fills bowels with hair and branches to plug the hole.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.