Training camp 7/27 9:45 AM

38 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I think Elam very much improved, yes. 

But keep in mind that Benford was on IR starting in Game 12 and then inactive the rest of the season

Two things can be true:

the Bills (and fans) can believe that Elam improved the last few games of the season

AND

the Bills can also believe that especially in zone coverage, Jackson and then Benford are still the better players at this point.

Yes of course,  not sure if you were necessarily directing that to me or just mentioning for general purposes, but I didn't say anything about or even implied regarding Benford. 

To be clear though I do agree with you, however my question was simply if the poster I quoted did or did not feel Elam's play improved those last games of the season 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, BananaB said:

You do realize at one point last season we had a CB rotation last year. When have you ever seen that in the NFL? Just put the kid on the field and let him play, stop ***** babying him ffs. If he don’t got it we’ll know shortly. One thing we do know is Dane doesn’t have it. 

It makes no sense at this point. 

CB rotations, while not common, are a McD staple.  Gaines, Johnson, Norman all rotated with Levi if i remember correctly.  That said I would like to see more Elam, I agree with many others that he has shown more when out there.  I dont know what it is but Dane is fine and would be a starting CB for many teams in the league.  

• Haha (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Dane Jackson is ideally a key back up, one way to keep him engaged and bought in, is to give him first opportunity to win the starting job 

Exactly.  Dane and Benford have outperformed their perceived ability which probably says a lot about their work ethic.  Do you want to keep them engaged and reward them by giving them a start against Cincinnati or KC?  Instead, give them the start in training camp to make it clear they are valued even if you don't want to have to rely on either as CB1 which we did, at times, last year.

6 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Sherfield is going to look really good in gym shorts… until the pads and games start and he’ll go back to being a JAG… cross fingers for Kincaid to take off running and one of Shakir/Harty to emerge/stay healthy. 

Guy

is there any alternate universe where you're not already hating on the team months before the season starts

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Process said:

Sounds like Dorsey is getting creative and introducing a lot of new concepts and formations. Encouraging. Hopefully it translates to game days.

This is what I been wanting.  We need those easy 5 -7 yards . Josh will have 2 3 quick reads and most likely 1 will be open

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Dane Jackson is ideally a key back up, one way to keep him engaged and bought in, is to give him first opportunity to win the starting job 

Oh, give me a break. Last year Dane was a bigger liability on third down then Ryan Gosling in Remember the Titans

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

This. Too many AJE, Basham, Bernard, Elam type picks to continue to remain viable in the AFC where everyone else at the top is nailing their draft picks. Elam is clearly better and should be getting the reps. He could form that dynamic duo with Tre. Instead we think Dane will be able to hang with the #2 WRs on the other teams? Yeah right. Beane has hit on some nice picks but we are going to look back and wonder what if when it comes to this era of bills football. We can’t keep lighting 3rd round picks on fire like they don’t matter. We can’t keep putting Spencer brown out there thinking josh won’t get murdered again all year while the bengals and chiefs make the right moves. 

It’s day two
Of training camp

6 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Agree he is a “rosterable” player… not really saying much considering the team needed much more than that at the position.

Scott, I realize this is the thing that you like to do this time of year

But can you please take a moment to reflect that this was a 13 and three team last year with a top five Offense can you please stop talking about them like they’re the Bears

• Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Scott, I realize this is the thing that you like to do this time of year

But can you please take a moment to reflect that this was a 13 and three team last year with a top five Offense can you please stop talking about them like they’re the Bears

But who will point out that there's a gray cloud to every silver lining?

5 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Then why did the bills move up to get Elam in a CB rich draft?  If they knew his man coverage experience didn’t translate to our zone heavy looks, then what gives?  I think they were smitten by his notebook and saw him as a student of the game and so far it hasn’t panned out. Elam has elite traits, and I think that’s what has shown up on game days to help mask his deficiencies. The bills seemed to have bet on Elam learning our scheme and it may have been a slight overlook. 

They moved up because their #2 corner had lousy man skills, and you can't play zone all the time.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, whorlnut said:

New Era basically said it in another post. We have no idea what is going on in the film room or practice field. I honestly think elams elite traits make up for lack of scheme knowledge. He’s obviously not where the staff wants him to be at this point or we wouldn’t be having these conversations. 

In McDermott’s world, NOTHING makes up for lack of scheme knowledge.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, BananaB said:

You do realize at one point last season we had a CB rotation last year. When have you ever seen that in the NFL? Just put the kid on the field and let him play, stop ***** babying him ffs. If he don’t got it we’ll know shortly. One thing we do know is Dane doesn’t have it. 

It makes no sense at this point. 

There's one thing that I do trust McDermott on, and that is defensive back talent.  So I'm sure ist justified 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

There's one thing that I do trust McDermott on, and that is defensive back talent.  So I'm sure ist justified 

If that’s the one thing we can trust McD on you think spending a first round pick on CB who could crack the starting lineup would be pretty easy. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

11 minutes ago, BananaB said:

If that’s the one thing we can trust McD on you think spending a first round pick on CB who could crack the starting lineup would be pretty easy. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Flip side of that coin is I don’t want my coach playing a guy based on where he was drafted. If our top 3 CBs at camp end up Ja’Marcus Ingram, Cameron Dantzler, and Alex Austin, then that’s who I want on the field. Not just names for sake of names. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Maybe Benford is just the real deal.  

I still believe it’s the tackling that separates him from Elam - at the moment.  

But it’s possible he’s just a better corner.   

Elam did some good things when he played last season.  I think they have two good, young CB’s.    Benford playing safety in college definitely shows up in how he attacks the run.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.