Hines out for the year

17islongenough

3 minutes ago, Process said:

That stinks for him. Seems like a good guy. 

The Bills will be just fine. TBH I wish we just cut him in the spring. Saying you don't have the money to sign Hopkins while you have guys like Hines and Siran Neal taking up $3.5M in cap space each is so ridiculous. 

Yeah, having a return weapon like Hines on our roster is ridiculous.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MWK said:

Returns don’t matter anymore with the new rules.

Right. I just fantasized that Hines returned two kickoffs for TD’s in one game. A game we won by 12 points.

The fair catch rule is going to be rarely used.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Process said:

That stinks for him. Seems like a good guy. 

The Bills will be just fine. TBH I wish we just cut him in the spring. Saying you don't have the money to sign Hopkins while you have guys like Hines and Siran Neal taking up $3.5M in cap space each is so ridiculous. 

Because saving $3.4M by cutting Hines and Neal really helps afford $12M in yearly salary.

Look, I "get" the frustration that the Bills didn't choose to go all-in on a WR splash.  That's a puzzling organizational decision.

But picking out two players who had definite roles and were doing them well last year and saying "cut them" is far from the retrenchment that would be needed to make that particular OBJ or Nuk splash.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Beast said:

Right. I just fantasized that Hines returned two kickoffs for TD’s in one game. A game we won by 12 points.

You clearly don’t know that the kickoff rules changed to make it much less likely a return will happen

Just hope that from a karmic perspective we've now gotten the annual 'lost player to season ending injury in training camp' behind us

it sucks because Hines was an exciting player, and a blown out knee doesn't bode well for a RB's long term prospects

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, MWK said:

You clearly don’t know that the kickoff rules changed to make it much less likely a return will happen

If you think players are going to give up the opportunity to return the ball in the field of play to fair catch it and take it at the 25 you are nuts.

The best returners in the game are taking it out from 5 yards deep quite often.

Edited by Beast

38 minutes ago, JMM said:

We will be fine. He was on the bubble this year frankly. RB room is loaded, best shape in years. We have Harty and Shakir as returnees. Bad break, but not a big blow as far as I'm concerned 

For all the talk about RB value......his was terrible but there was no dead money if the Bills walked.   The Bills negotiated it down but took a decent dead cap if they moved on which was/is not going to happen. My opinion of how Beane handled the redo of his contract was that he overpaid and was trying to justify the trade of the draft pick a little.  This sucks for Hines so I do understand the human value.  But Hines is the top paid RB on the team and he is 3rd or fourth string....with returnability.  

17 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I hate this for Hines, but it means nothing to our season outlook IMO. I came into the offseason thinking Hines had a good chance of being released.

He was a highly paid kick returner on this team.

8 minutes ago, MWK said:

The touchback thing?  The Bills often return if out of the end zone when they are in their rights to down it.

• Like (+1) 1

Faaaaak, that sucks, 

kinda takes care of the over abundance of RBs on the roster, now we just need a kick returner…, maybe one of our 4,5,6 position receivers can fill the role…

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.