Moving to St George Utah soon.

NewEra

I’m going into business with a long time friend and my wife landed a great job at Rocky Vista University.  24 years in upstate Ny. 24 years in Vegas. Looking forward to 5-10 in St. George before I retire on a beach.

anyone here from that area?  My current game plan is to take the 2 hour drive to Vegas and keep business as usual at moondoggies for bills games.  Any bills backers bars?

• Like (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I’m going into business with a long time friend and my wife landed a great job at Rocky Vista University.  24 years in upstate Ny. 24 years in Vegas. Looking forward to 5-10 in St. George before I retire on a beach.

anyone here from that area?  My current game plan is to take the 2 hour drive to Vegas and keep business as usual at moondoggies for bills games.  Any bills backers bars?

https://www.buffalorising.com/2020/09/rocky-mountain-mafia/

may help

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

I lived in Victor Idaho I think that’s pretty close to where you’re going

When I was there, Mormonism was strong don’t know how it is today

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

Congratulations!! You are truly embarking on a @NewEra😎

• Thank you (+1) 1

Thanks for the well wishes!  It really is a beautiful area.  40 mins from Zion is a huge selling point.  So many parks and camping locations.  

if anyone is ever in town before hitting up Zion, stop by Farmstead bakery.  It’s become a pillar of the community.  My business partner owns it (as well as Kairos, a Greek restaurant).  He was just granted a liquor license and we’ll be opening up a local watering hole/kitchen.  He also said the city generally backs the Utes and Kincaid was the fan favorite.  Contemplated making it a Bills bar….. but then I’d probably have to work it.  No thanks

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I’ve been there a few times and my daughter lived there but now lives in Hurricane (pronounced Hurrican), Utah, less than 20 miles east of St George. Couldn’t ask for a more beautiful place to live, Utah is now the state to be in, thinking about moving there myself. Mount Zion is impressive as well and there is a lot of man made lakes all around, you’ll enjoy living there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

A lot depends on whether you're Mormon.  We lived in Salt Lake City for 10 years and mostly enjoyed it, but SLC is an enclave of the United States inside the Kingdom of Zion.  Being a gentile (that's the word they use for non-Mormons) anywhere else in Utah, except for Park City and Moab, will make your life tough.  

If you're Mormon and going into business in St George, you have a good shot at success.  If you're a gentile, forget it.  The deck will be completely stacked against you.

And, bring your own water.  St George has been growing rapidly but lacks a reliable source of water.  There is a serious attempt in the Utah legislature to develop a pipeline from Lake Powell to St George.  That's Lake Powell on the Colorado River, which you might have heard is going dry (not this year, fortunately) due to too many demands on its water.  This insane pipeline idea might actually be approved because of the clout of the Mormons in Congress.  

Utah is very beautiful, as others have noted.  St George is fairly close to Zion and Bryce Canyon, and a few hours away from Capitol Reef.  If you like outdoor activities, it's great, not necessarily in the ferocious heat of the summers in southern Utah but otherwise it's fine outside.  

40 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

I’ve been there a few times and my daughter lived there but now lives in Hurricane (pronounced Hurrican), Utah, less than 20 miles east of St George. Couldn’t ask for a more beautiful place to live, Utah is now the state to be in, thinking about moving there myself. Mount Zion is impressive as well and there is a lot of man made lakes all around, you’ll enjoy living there.

It really is the place to be.  Mormons or no Mormons.

Comparing St. George to the current version of Las Vegas is laughable.  Vegas is a hot mess.  I’m a bit worried about the infrastructure of the streets.  With so many people moving there rn, I wonder how long it will take for it to become a construction zone and encompassed with terrible traffic.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Utah John said:

A lot depends on whether you're Mormon.  We lived in Salt Lake City for 10 years and mostly enjoyed it, but SLC is an enclave of the United States inside the Kingdom of Zion.  Being a gentile (that's the word they use for non-Mormons) anywhere else in Utah, except for Park City and Moab, will make your life tough.  

If you're Mormon and going into business in St George, you have a good shot at success.  If you're a gentile, forget it.  The deck will be completely stacked against you.

And, bring your own water.  St George has been growing rapidly but lacks a reliable source of water.  There is a serious attempt in the Utah legislature to develop a pipeline from Lake Powell to St George.  That's Lake Powell on the Colorado River, which you might have heard is going dry (not this year, fortunately) due to too many demands on its water.  This insane pipeline idea might actually be approved because of the clout of the Mormons in Congress.  

Utah is very beautiful, as others have noted.  St George is fairly close to Zion and Bryce Canyon, and a few hours away from Capitol Reef.  If you like outdoor activities, it's great, not necessarily in the ferocious heat of the summers in southern Utah but otherwise it's fine outside.  

Thanks for the feedback!  

The Mormon influence was the only thing we were worried about. My business partner isn’t Mormon and yet he’s thriving.  He’s been there for 2.5 years and has become one of the cities pillars.  His bakery has a line leading outside every day of the week.  He speaks at community events and has business relations with many of the cities top dogs, per se. The cities influx of residents has been mostly led by gentiles.  The ratio isn’t what it once was and is moving further and further away from the mean.  That said- I’m sure you know much more about the area than I and I believe you when you say it will be a challenge.   

The area is severely lacking in good food and drink options and even more so- great service. We earned our stripes together working in high end VIP hospitality venues for over 20 years and making our customers feel special is the focus of the brand (along with great food and drinks!).  Can’t wait.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.