Submarine meant to view Titanic wreck loses contact at bottom of sea

Nextmanup

Strange coincidences...

Titanic actor Lew Palter dead at 94

In 1997′s Titanic, Palter played former Macy’s co-owner Isidor Straus, who died on the ship. Straus’ great-great-granddaughter, Wendy Rush, is the widow of Stockton Rush, the OceanGate Expeditions CEO who died in last week’s Titanic submersible implosion, according to The New York Times.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/celebrities/300915651/titanic-actor-lew-palter-dead-at-94

Edited by Bad Things

On 6/22/2023 at 9:06 PM, SCBills said:

Some people yearn for something more than the mundane. 

I can’t make you understand that if you don’t want to. 

Some people just HAVE to have bragging rights whatever the cost  ... to themselves or to others.

On 6/23/2023 at 10:26 AM, Not at the table Karlos said:

What? The navy heard it when it happened. They're an agent of the US government. They didn't release this immediately. They admitted to hearing it days before the debris field was found. You would be the loon in this situation. 

:rolleyes:

• Eyeroll 1

As time goes on, and we learn more about the Owner/CEO of Oceangate, it's downright scary how negligent that guy was regarding safety for his company.

What's even more amazing is that he convinced loads of rich people to pay him exorbitant amounts of cash to get in that death trap, and go down 2 miles beneath the surface. Once again proves that rich people are not always as smart as we think they are/should be.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

As time goes on, and we learn more about the Owner/CEO of Oceangate, it's downright scary how negligent that guy was regarding safety for his company.

What's even more amazing is that he convinced loads of rich people to pay him exorbitant amounts of cash to get in that death trap, and go down 2 miles beneath the surface. Once again proves that rich people are not always as smart as we think they are/should be.

You can only have one of two makers.  The universe or money.

Don't use "we." Becoming rich doesn't mean being smart.

Most of the time it's the risk and luck that gets them there (monetarily rich)... In fact, the rich are probably some of the dumbest people on the planet, the universe just hasn't caught up with them yet.

Anyway, why wouldn't they roll the bones, it's what got them there in the first place.  BUT going under the sea is just plain stupid. Especially with today's tech.

On 6/24/2023 at 3:00 PM, Doc said:

As someone who's gone to the Titanic wreckage 33 times and survived, I'd put him up there with any so-called "expert."  Hell an "expert" died in that submersible.

Not to mention only 1 of 7 people to dive to the bottom of Marianas Trench and spent 7 years co designing the solo sub.

Id put him up there with the highest 

• Agree 1

On 7/6/2023 at 11:06 AM, Bob Jones said:

I didn't realize this thread (that I started) was still going strong.

What's amazing to me is that Paul-Henri Nargeolet is something of a legend in that community and has lots of experience doing this sort of thing and technical knowhow...and he STILL got in the TITAN and went down there.

It just shows his weakness for what he was doing.  He probably understood there were greater than normal risks, but he did it anyway, for one more dive on the Titanic.

It's amazing how obsessed humans can become with a given subject matter.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Irv said:

Frankly I don't understand.  WTF?

Oceangate Suspends Operations

What don't you understand?  Why they would be suspending operations?  

Makes sense to me.  Next step will be to disappear and totally dissolve the company...the estates of these billionaires who died may have the good graces not to sue, but you never know.  I smell wrongful death actions on the way.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

What don't you understand?  Why they would be suspending operations?  

Makes sense to me.  Next step will be to disappear and totally dissolve the company...the estates of these billionaires who died may have the good graces not to sue, but you never know.  I smell wrongful death actions on the way.

I see the sarcasm was lost on you.  Apologies.  

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

image.jpeg.24cad84260a896ab99ecd4862953d5e2.jpeg

I assume photo shopped, but man, that's in poor taste.

This reminds me of a photo working around the 'net with a similar sort of sign, sitting out in front of some random business somewhere in New England.

The sign reads: "Red Sox fans, 20% off.  Yankees fans, F*@$ off!" 

Makes me crack up just typing it, though I am a Red Sox fan and despise the Yankees, generally.

Numerous experts, including the director of marine operations at OceanGate, told them that carbon fiber was an inappropriate material and that extensive testing was needed. Rather than listening to the director of ops, they fired him.

https://www.engineering.com/story/the-titan-submersible-a-little-testing-wouldnt-have-killed-them

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.