NFL Head Coaches who also were their teams defensive play callers:

Chaos

Yeah, another bash Sean McDermott thread, I would have never have guessed it…, just imagine, on this board too…, 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Shocked 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• Chaos changed the title to NFL Head Coaches who also were their teams defensive play callers:
26 minutes ago, Chaos said:

What is the bash? Please explain. 

Here's the thing: most people here are sheep and worship anyone currently associated with the team like a god.

Then, when a certain person leaves the team, they usually make fun of that person and sneer about how bad they were.

I don't get it either.

Kiko Alonso, to name one of dozens, went from highly regarded fanboy player to the butt of jokes here in about 48 hours when we traded him off the team.

Rex is another great example.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Dislike 2

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

What do Wade Phillips, Lovie Smith, Rex Ryan and Sean McDermott all have in common?

The same thing that these three do (or have):

Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll, Mike Tomlin...

• Like (+1) 12

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Here's the thing: most people here are sheep and worship anyone currently associated with the team like a god.

Then, when a certain person leaves the team, they usually make fun of that person and sneer about how bad they were.

I don't get it either.

Kiko Alonso, to name one of dozens, went from highly regarded fanboy player to the butt of jokes here in about 48 hours when we traded him off the team.

Kiko Alonso’s career was average player around the league … I never had him in some super high regard

Unbiased… The dude got off to a crazy 8-10game streak here… Hit a wall

Never reached the same level and tore his ACL

We traded him for LeSean McCoy who had a much better bills career then Kiko… Kiko was cut from the Eagles

Got embarrassed by the bills when he was with the dolphins

The dude had the potential for a great career but didn’t have it

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I don't get it either.

Whereas some of us told you all Rex was a busted flush when he was hired and said Kiko wouldn't get away with being continually out of position forever. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, folz said:

The same thing that these three do (or have):

Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll, Mike Tomlin...

Has Tomlin ever called defensive plays as a Head Coach though? I know Belichick has, and Carroll has (although not when he won a championship). 

8 hours ago, Arkady Renko said:

Belichick never did?

Belichick did it between 2009 and 2012 and has again since 2017. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Chaos said:

The only ones I could find.  But there might be others. 

https://www.panthers.com/news/ron-rivera-among-growing-list-of-head-coaches-calling-plays

Looks like Ron Rivera did, Vic Mangio, Dan Quinn, so some others to add to the list in your original post.  I found it interesting that Rivera actually took over to give Eric Washington time to grow and eventually learn how to call plays.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.