Nerfing the read option

What a Tuel

https://new.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-rule-changes-2023-no-0-jersey-is-back-personal-foul-penalties-clarified-one-date-for-roster-cutdowns/

Thought this would be bigger news since Allen holds the ball til the last second a ton. Did a search and didn't see a thread. 

"To make handing the football forward a penalty like an illegal forward pass, proposed by the Competition Committee

Rule change: This will penalize teams handing off the football forward on a read-option, for example, or any other running play a penalty. Handoffs will have to be made next to or behind the quarterback, not in front of. "

2 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

"To make handing the football forward a penalty like an illegal forward pass, proposed by the Competition Committee

Rule change: This will penalize teams handing off the football forward on a read-option, for example, or any other running play a penalty. Handoffs will have to be made next to or behind the quarterback, not in front of. "

Looks like a solution in need of a problem. Why is a "forward hand-off" a bad thing?

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5

This play effectively negates the read option.  The whole point of the play is to read the end man on the LOS or EMOL.  In order to do this, the QB needs to hold the Mesh point with the back as long as possible to get a commitment from the EMOL.  If the Mesh can no longer be extended, the read option is no longer a read. 

17 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Looks like a solution in need of a problem. Why is a "forward hand-off" a bad thing?

I think it's strange too

Ostensibly it penalizes the RPO more than read option...in read option the QB can read the DE facing sideways to complete a legal handoff but in RPO the conflict defender is usually in the middle of the field so while you're selling the mesh you're going to have a much harder time making the right read because you're facing sideways

so on the face of it I have no idea why the NFL would want to move away from rpo but this would be in service of that end imo

Edited by GoBills808
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I think it's strange too

Ostensibly it penalizes the RPO more than read option...in read option the QB can read the DE facing sideways to complete a legal handoff but in RPO the conflict defender is usually in the middle of the field so while you're selling the mesh you're going to have a much harder time making the right read because you're facing sideways

so on the face of it I have no idea why the NFL would want to move away from rpo but this would be in service of that end imo

I agree, this seems odd.

8 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

The 5 linemen set on line cannot take a ball or advance it in case of fumble or reflection.

Dang, this negates my sneaky 4th and inches play where  the QB takes the snap from the center, then gives the ball right back to the center to move the ball forward a few inches.  🥴

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

As long as the QB isn’t past the LoS, how can anything constitute an illegal forward pass? 

This is exactly what I was thinking, this rule change makes very little sense. I don't think it'll effect Allen as much as it will Lamar Jackson

42 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

https://new.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-rule-changes-2023-no-0-jersey-is-back-personal-foul-penalties-clarified-one-date-for-roster-cutdowns/

Thought this would be bigger news since Allen holds the ball til the last second a ton. Did a search and didn't see a thread. 

I guess it depends how they define “next to”. If Allen, for example, continues to hold on to the ball until the last second but advances with the RB, is it still considered “next to”?

I don’t understand why the competition committee proposed this or why it passed. As someone said, seems like a stupid fix for a non-issue. 

Edited by transient

1 hour ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

thinking about this more, if they do implement this rule, it will completely change they way running plays are executed.  Alot of running plays the RB gets the ball handed to them in front of the QB which would now be a penalty.  

Yeah, and it makes determining the exact point of the hand-off a judgment call for the officials.  Another reason not to like it.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.