Nerfing the read option

What a Tuel

19 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I agree… what about diving from behind to shoestring ? You leave your feet

By the wording, if you are running and one foot is off the ground when you hit the guy, it’s a penalty, they really do want flag football at this point. 

On 6/9/2023 at 1:15 PM, WotAGuy said:

If passed, will be henceforth known as the “Josh Allen Rule”. 

On 6/9/2023 at 1:18 PM, CircleTheWagons99 said:

I thinks this rule change will hurt Mahomes and Hurts more then Allen.  I have seen Mahomes hold the ball and hand it of forward as implied by the rule.

Exactly, I'd have called it the Patrick Mahomes rule before the Allen rule.

This is much ado about nothing.  A quick internet search shows that the rule change won't affect anybody:

From footballZebras.com discussing the rule change:

"A forward handoff is only allowed to be made to an eligible receiver behind the line of scrimmage. When the handoff occurs downfield, it is 5 yards from the spot of the foul and a loss of down. The rule change would be to have forward handoffs to linemen behind the line of scrimmage also carry a loss of down and also be a spot foul (currently from the line of scrimmage)."

So forward handoffs to running backs or receivers behind the line of scrimmage are still allowed.  You can't do a forward handoff in front of the line of scrimmage nor hand it off to a lineman at any place on the field.   How many times do these things happen in a season?

One could wonder why they bother adding this clause but this whole discussion is making a mountain out of a molehill (as is many things on the internet).

Oops -- I saw that someone upthread already mentioned this but everyone seems to ignore it.

Edited by Billy Claude

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.