Bills sign a CB, release a CB (now the title is grammatically correct)

Draconator

5 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

White
Elam

Taron

Dantzler
Benford

Jackson
Austin
Neal

How many CB's are we keeping? Usually 6? 

Two of White, Jackson, and Elam will start depending on camp/health. All three will make the roster presumably. 

Johnson locked into the slot.

Depth includes Dantzler, Benford, and Lewis. It’ll be interesting to see how seriously they push Benford/Lewis toward the fourth safety spot. Neal is a CB in title only. Austin will be cut/PS.

White

Jackson

Johnson

Elam

Benford/Lewis/Dantzler (1 CB, 1 S, 1 cut)

Neal

(6)

On 6/7/2023 at 8:12 AM, Dablitzkrieg said:

They are not at all satisfied with CB2

Not saying this is likely, probably unlikely, but just as an fyi....Joe B in the Athletic had Elam as a potential trade target in August before final cuts.  Beane has a history of making moves in the August trade market.

"Since Beane took over in 2017, the Bills have traded away six players in late August before 53-man rosters were due. Rather than having to cut a player they like, Beane has shown he prefers to get something in return to push the investment forward."

2022 Cody Ford OL 5th-round pick

2021 Darryl Johnson DE 6th-round pick

2019 Russell Bodine OL 6th-round pick

2019 Wyatt Teller OL 5th- & 6th-round picks 🤬

2018 A.J. McCarron QB 5th-round pick

2017 Reggie Ragland LB 4th-round pick

Edited by HurlyBurly51

10 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Not saying this is likely, probably unlikely, but just as an fyi....Joe B in the Athletic had Elam as a potential trade target in August before final cuts.  Beane has a history of making moves in the August trade market.

"Since Beane took over in 2017, the Bills have traded away six players in late August before 53-man rosters were due. Rather than having to cut a player they like, Beane has shown he prefers to get something in return to push the investment forward."

2022 Cody Ford OL 5th-round pick

2021 Darryl Johnson DE 6th-round pick

2019 Russell Bodine OL 6th-round pick

2019 Wyatt Teller OL 5th- & 6th-round picks 🤬

2018 A.J. McCarron QB 5th-round pick

2017 Reggie Ragland LB 4th-round pick

Based on the examples above, I could see Dane Jackson being that piece before Elam. Beane and team couldn't/wouldn't trade Elam unless it was for a 1st round pick. Couldn't imagine them admitting to a mistake like that for anything less

6 hours ago, Airseven said:

Two of White, Jackson, and Elam will start depending on camp/health. All three will make the roster presumably. 

Depth includes Dantzler, Benford, and Lewis. It’ll be interesting to see how seriously they push Benford/Lewis toward the fourth safety spot. Neal is a CB in title only. Austin will be cut/PS.

White

Jackson

Johnson

Elam

Neal

(6)

Is there any cap savings releasing Neal? 

48 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Based on the examples above, I could see Dane Jackson being that piece before Elam. Beane and team couldn't/wouldn't trade Elam unless it was for a 1st round pick. Couldn't imagine them admitting to a mistake like that for anything less

His (Joe B) logic being if Elam is a backup all season his value will never be higher than it is now.  Again, assumes Elam can't lock in CB2, which is why he even includes him as potential trade bait.

16 hours ago, Airseven said:

White

Jackson

Johnson

Elam

Neal

(6)

Benford is making this team and based on the OTA reports (I know, OTAs, let's see when pads go on) he is going to push very hard for a starting job. 

I genuinely believe it is 4 guys for 2 spots. I expect White and Elam to emerge but I don't think that should be thought of as a given.

10 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Is there any cap savings releasing Neal? 

It doesn't matter. They are not doing it. He is their best special teams player.

Wow. There’s an awful lot of armchair GM chatter on here and apparently all based on the Bills adding CB depth in the quiet month of the off season? I find it extremely hard to believe Elam is going anywhere after just one season. He was a first rounder from the SEC and just one year later the Front Office is gonna say…”our bad”? I don’t think so!

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Wow. There’s an awful lot of armchair GM chatter on here and apparently all based on the Bills adding CB depth in the quiet month of the off season? I find it extremely hard to believe Elam is going anywhere after just one season. He was a first rounder from the SEC and just one year later the Front Office is gonna say…”our bad”? I don’t think so!

I know you're fond of telling all of us that we're not the Bills' GM and we're not qualified to be discussing these things, but (i) this is a message board; (ii) it happens to be a relatively sophisticated one - there have been MANY instances over the years of posters being better in their evaluations than the front office; and (iii) it was Joe B. who suggested yesterday that Elam could be traded.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

His (Joe B) logic being if Elam is a backup all season his value will never be higher than it is now.  Again, assumes Elam can't lock in CB2, which is why he even includes him as potential trade bait.

I don't understand this at all. I thought Elam was excellent against Miami in the playoffs when matched against T.Hill and we may have lost that game if not for his INT 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I know you're fond of telling all of us that we're not the Bills' GM and we're not qualified to be discussing these things, but (i) this is a message board; (ii) it happens to be a relatively sophisticated one - there have been MANY instances over the years of posters being better in their evaluations than the front office; and (iii) it was Joe B. who suggested yesterday that Elam could be traded.

Huh? I don’t hold that opinion on a regular basis….at least I don’t think I do. In this particular case it just seems REALLY odd to me that this latest CB depth move would spell death to a 1st Round pick from just last season. I’m all for the strategic thinking of a message board but this Elam chatter appears to be out of deep deep left field. 

10 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Huh? I don’t hold that opinion on a regular basis….at least I don’t think I do. In this particular case it just seems REALLY odd to me that this latest CB depth move would spell death to a 1st Round pick from just last season. I’m all for the strategic thinking of a message board but this Elam chatter appears to be out of deep deep left field. 

If you read Joe B's article he's not basing it solely on this move - he parses Beane's comments about Elam and posits that there's something going on in practice that has the Bills' coaches not completely sold on Elam.

https://theathletic.com/4590651/2023/06/08/buffalo-bills-trade-candidates/

However, something is holding the Bills back from Elam being the locked-in starter. Beane mentioned that some inconsistencies in practice played into the equation last year but said Elam “cleaned up a lot of that” in games. Even still, Beane concluded his recent answer on Elam with: “We’re going to make everyone earn it. It doesn’t matter where you were selected or what your salary is.” Beane usually would not say something like that for established starters on his team.

If Elam does not progress and is behind Jackson and Benford on the depth chart, the Bills could at least cover that up before the regular season. It would keep Elam’s trade value far higher to an acquiring team, and the other team would see a young cornerback with potentially four years of roster control (including the fifth-year option). If they wait a year and watch him be a backup player, the return value on Elam will decrease quite a bit. Trading him this summer would be a risk in terms of seeing a high pick flourish elsewhere, but if they feel he’s still behind Jackson and Benford and they could recoup a second- or third-round pick for him, it’s something they could consider. The extreme likelihood is they hold on to Elam and see if he can get there in 2023, but it’s at least worth mentioning if the worst-case scenario arrives this summer.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

If you read Joe B's article he's not basing it solely on this move - he parses Beane's comments about Elam and posits that there's something going on in practice that has the Bills' coaches not completely sold on Elam.

However, something is holding the Bills back from Elam being the locked-in starter. Beane mentioned that some inconsistencies in practice played into the equation last year but said Elam “cleaned up a lot of that” in games. Even still, Beane concluded his recent answer on Elam with: “We’re going to make everyone earn it. It doesn’t matter where you were selected or what your salary is.” Beane usually would not say something like that for established starters on his team.

If Elam does not progress and is behind Jackson and Benford on the depth chart, the Bills could at least cover that up before the regular season. It would keep Elam’s trade value far higher to an acquiring team, and the other team would see a young cornerback with potentially four years of roster control (including the fifth-year option). If they wait a year and watch him be a backup player, the return value on Elam will decrease quite a bit. Trading him this summer would be a risk in terms of seeing a high pick flourish elsewhere, but if they feel he’s still behind Jackson and Benford and they could recoup a second- or third-round pick for him, it’s something they could consider. The extreme likelihood is they hold on to Elam and see if he can get there in 2023, but it’s at least worth mentioning if the worst-case scenario arrives this summer.

Thanks Coach

I’m sure Joe B has an opinion of Elam just like everyone does. I’m however highly skeptical that this latest CB depth move is related to it. (In a nutshell.)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Another indictment on the scouting department!! 

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Joe B is wrong, Elam is not going anywhere, 1st round pick coming into his second season,  three interceptions in his rookie year one of them on Mahomes in the end zone iirc, played well in the post season,  come on now,  why on gods green earth would they trade Elam? That’s JoeB click bait, nothing more. 

• Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.