Ed Oliver big extension

HappyDays

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Not really. There are no valid comparasions between these two guys. Williams is light years better than Oliver. Thus, the salary difference is valid. 

Quinnen Williams has one Great year in his career also

Olivers AV was higher every year besides this last year… 

If anything Williams played for a payday 

Edited by Buffalo716

28 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Come on man. Haven't you seen enough of Oliver that screams he's not elite. He's pretty good in my eyes but clearly hasn't lived up to his top ten pick. 

Williams is a beast and will be for years to come. An anchor on a defense. If you think Oliver is anywhere near his talent level I don't know what to say. I want to be respectful. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Come on man. Haven't you seen enough of Oliver that screams he's not elite. He's pretty good in my eyes but clearly hasn't lived up to his top ten pick. 

Williams is a beast and will be for years to come. An anchor on a defense. If you think Oliver is anywhere near his talent level I don't know what to say. I want to be respectful. 

I don’t think I’m comparing them or once said Oliver was elite 

Williams did not do much for his first three years and  He wasn’t head and shoulders above Oliver … year 4 was the breakout

Williams broke out last year in a contract year which is always concerning… You say he’s going to be a machine for a long time but he absolutely can be Marcell Dareus

sure he’s better but it took years to break out… 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

Drafting the 8th best DL in the 2019 draft at #9 overall continues to be less than impressive.

This is the difference between us and the Bengals.

Going to have to say that this is pretty accurate. 

We’ve seen what Chris Jones does for that KC defense.   Quinnen was out of our reach, but we had our chance to get that type of player and missed.  

We didn’t strike out.. but (thus far) we hit a double, when home runs were on the table.  

Just now, SCBills said:

Going to have to say that this is pretty accurate. 

We’ve seen what Chris Jones does for that KC defense.   Quinnen was out of our reach, but we had our chance to get that type of player and missed.  

We didn’t strike out.. but (thus far) we hit a double, when home runs were on the table.  

I am going to suggest the jury is still out.
Lets see what the next few years show us.
As mentioned Quinnen had One heck of a season.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Three years into their careers, you could have said the same thing about Baker versus Josh.  The reality is that Ed is what he is…a pretty good but unremarkable DT.  There’s been zero indication that he has some heretofore untapped level of ability to be a dominant player, though.  There’s nothing wrong with that.  He’s going to have a long career in Buffalo, and he’ll be well regarded by the Bills Mafia 20 years from now and mostly forgotten by everyone else.

Quinnen Williams is a 25 year old emerging superstar that opposing DCs have to game plan around.  He got paid 40% more than Oliver, but he’s twice the player.

54 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don’t think I’m comparing them or once said Oliver was elite 

Williams did not do much for his first three years and  He wasn’t head and shoulders above Oliver … year 4 was the breakout

Williams broke out last year in a contract year which is always concerning… You say he’s going to be a machine for a long time but he absolutely can be Marcell Dareus

sure he’s better but it took years to break out… 

You know what’s more concerning than breaking out in a 4th season?  Having 4 years and never breaking out.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Billl said:

Three years into their careers, you could have said the same thing about Baker versus Josh.  The reality is that Ed is what he is…a pretty good but unremarkable DT.  There’s been zero indication that he has some heretofore untapped level of ability to be a dominant player, though.  There’s nothing wrong with that.  He’s going to have a long career in Buffalo, and he’ll be well regarded by the Bills Mafia 20 years from now and mostly forgotten by everyone else.

Quinnen Williams is a 25 year old emerging superstar that opposing DCs have to game plan around.  He got paid 40% more than Oliver, but he’s twice the player.

You know what’s more concerning than breaking out in a 4th season?  Having 4 years and never breaking out.

DT is a tough position … Ed has been on the cusp … he’s been dominate for stretches but the consistency isn’t there yet

And for the record I loved Quinnen Williams in college And thought he was the number 1 Dtackle… Lots of those guys lose their edge when They get paid though

Williams is definitely a monster tho 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Let's be fair. Although I think Williams is the better player he didn't really break out until he got complimentary players around him on defense. Just like Ed, who played pretty well, though not at an elite level when Daquan and Von on the field. Oliver may very well end up being a bargain.

• Vomit 1

He's always been much better than Oliver from the get go. 

You compared him to Oliver which is like comparing a prune to a watermelon. Williams has size and strength that Oliver will never have. He might be close to being as quick too. 

I'm pretty sure almost every knowledgeable football fan would say Williams is a beast. Happy to have him on their team and pay the man. Everyone except you I guess...

Stop digging the hole...

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I'm going to take the chance to apologize to Ed.

Seems a change in D coordinator was all he needed. Hope he keeps it up.

having two true 1Ts next to him helps as well. for the last few years they had zero or one 1Ts at any one time forcing Ed to not play to his strengths

- plus no Frazier of course- he has 2 more years worth of complaints from me stored up

Oliver has always shown single game flashes of being a star but he hasn't sustained that for even 3 games like this so it's definitely worth noting.

Just need him to put together a full good season now.

The Bills have only been originally slotted to draft higher than where they picked Oliver at 9th overall 3 times since the 1980's so he was actually a significant investment in the history of the franchise.    

I think what we are seeing is that his lack of progress earlier was as much a lack of maturity and focus as it was the nagging injuries(which may also have been preparation related).     He's bought in and working like a pro now.    I don't think it's the norm for players to not buy in until after they get paid.........but he is an unusual person so maybe that commitment has elevated his game.

• Like (+1) 3

I said week 1 it was the best I’ve seen Oliver. Then week 2 he was again very active. Week 3 he was the best player on the field.

It’s wild. He’s become the player we wanted him to be, but it’s after signing his extension.

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Oliver has always shown single game flashes of being a star but he hasn't sustained that for even 3 games like this so it's definitely worth noting.

Just need him to put together a full good season now.

The Bills have only been originally slotted to draft higher than where they picked Oliver at 9th overall 3 times since the 1980's so he was actually a significant investment in the history of the franchise.    

I think what we are seeing is that his lack of progress earlier was as much a lack of maturity and focus as it was the nagging injuries(which may also have been preparation related).     He's bought in and working like a pro now.    I don't think it's the norm for players to not buy in until after they get paid.........but he is an unusual person so maybe that commitment has elevated his game.

I don’t even think it was whole games. It was more like series or plays here and there he would flash. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

For whatever reason, my tweets are imbedding properly.  Anyone else having this issue?  I’m on an IPhone.

https://x.com/mirskykendall/status/1706101453172117654?s=46&t=WlqwVN2bVq7mXd00IAHy6A

IMG_4294.jpeg

Try using the twitter.com url instead of x.com

edit: Looks like you got it figured out.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

Ed Oliver and Terrel Bernard are seriously impressive and while sustained play is required for the full serving of crow to be consumed... let's just say it's getting pretty close to dinner being served.

Oliver is looking like his high end DT counterparts, but at a fraction of the contract.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.